“Outstanding”

Ranked #15 of 378 Restaurants in Appleton
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Serving the Valley for over 40 years. Serving lunch & dinner 7 days a week. Gourmet Sandwiches, "Big" Salads, Baked Stuffed Potatoes, Aged Steaks, Seafood, Veal, Chicken, Ribs, Duck, Veal & More.
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We first visited Red Ox a few months ago for the first time based on a number of recommendations we had heard from friends...and were sorely disappointed. My wife voiced her displeasure via social media and she was contacted by the owner with an apology and a request that we return to try them again at his expense (including throwing in an extra $20 for a babysitter). The difference between visits was profound when we returned a coupe of months later without forewarning.

The Old Fashioned's were perfectly prepared, our waitress was excellent, and the food was outstanding!! My wife had the tenderloin and crab legs, I had the prime rib and crab legs. Both the steak and prime rib were cooked perfectly. I have to say the prime rib is arguably the best I've had in a long time. The cut had an excellent flavor and melted in my mouth.

Afterwards we stopped to talk to the owner, and thank him for convincing us to give them another try. He was very apologetic for our first experience, it's sounds as if the night of that first visit the stars aligned and the confluence of factors led to our poor experience. From what we had heard previously combined with our last visit, there is no doubt in my mind that they deliver an outstanding supper club experience on a regular basis.

We will absolutely return again, at about $100 for drinks and dinner (the surf and turf is probably their most expensive dish) it was well worth it.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

This place is a great restaurant that we drive about 30 mins from our house to dine. It's worth the drive. Consistently great and literally THE BEST PRIME RIB. Anywhere.
Though their food is great, the prime rib and famous Ditka Pork Chop are FABULOUS.
Drinks are poured well, Old Fashioned's are muddled, and wine list is very good.
Bonus: great bartenders and a fantastic owner that takes great pride in making your visit happy and tasty!

Reviewed 6 February 2014

This is our go to place for oysters on the half shell. They are fresh and tasty. At 8.99 a dozen you can't go wrong. The staff is friendly and provide good service. If I had one concern it would be their "tempura" selections. I had lobster tempura. It was just breading and not tempura style. Please change the name or make the tempura batter correctly. However, I will be back for oysters!

Reviewed 30 January 2014

Had the garlic stuffed tenderloin!!!!! Tasted delicious. Service was good. Would definitely go back again!

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Your first reaction upon entering the Red Ox is to wonder if you have just walked through a time machine and landed in a 1970's supper club. It definitely has the feel of a place that your parents (or grandparents) would be at home. Your next impression after seeing the menu is "Will I have time to read this?" The immense menu includes 14 different preparartions just for haddock! But, the Red Ox does the important things reasonably well. Our service was fantastic. Our friendly server was constantly checking to see what she could do to make our experience better. And the food was good and plentiful. We had a number of dishes at our table from meat to fish (yes, someone had the haddock). While no one was blown away by their meal, everyone enjoyed their dinner.