“Fairly typical mid-grade hotel”

Howard Johnson Inn Appleton
Ranked #25 of 25 Hotels in Appleton
Reviewed 2 May 2012

First, let me share with the 2A people that this property has a "buster" sign on the front door, but no other doors were so marked. Also, their written policies as shown at the check-in mentioned no such anti-2A tendencies, but decide for yourself which way to go.

Overall room was OK. The Shower was -excellent- with high water pressure, good temperature, and double shower heads. One of the nicest showers I've been in for awhile.

Internet access was surprisingly fast with no issues. Again, a good mark for that.

I did not see an elevator on this property.

BTW, previous reviewers mentioned the "out of order" problem... yep, still there. I saw those signs all over the place, including the one thing that I wanted to use, the guest laundry. Oh well.

The bed was comfy and I was able to keep the room at a good temperature with the climate control.

Overall, this is a repeatable experience. I just wish they would lose that ugly sign from the door.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank kansasccw

Reviewed 24 April 2012

I have stayed in a few hotels in my life time. I manage a hotel. This Howard Johnson has more out of order items. The property's guest laundry is out of order coffee machine,pop corn machine, creamer machine. Non smoking room smelled of smoke. Television wasn't programmed. Burn mark on the comforter, in a non smoking room. Toilet paper holder broke, was never fixed. Piece of metal from building over hang laying next to our car. Female front desk clerk never smiles. Male desk clerk never smiles. Out of order sign laying on top of game machine. Housekeeping staff did do a nice job on freshening room on our second night.Property needs some help!!!!!

Room Tip: Smell Your Room!!!! Property was supposed to be non smoking!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 January 2012

I was charged for extra people who supposedly stayed in my room even though it was just myself. Was told that they could prove the extra people because of the camera system, when I asked if the camera system showed the people actually in my room, they could not say yes or no. Nothing good for breakfast and what little I had was m,onitored. I felt like I was not allowed to take two tiny donuts, only one was allowed. When I went to fill up my travel mug with coffee before I left, I was told that I could use the coffee maker in my room for that. My mug didn't fit in the single pour coffee maker they provide!

Room Tip: Don't choose one from here
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank B00kangel
Reviewed 5 December 2011

Nothing outstanding here, but at $55/night I'd stay here again. Room was clean enough and there weren't any problems with anything. It was kinda odd in that there weren't many others staying there that we noticed, but that's okay. A very basic breakfast was offered. (nothing warm)

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lakepirate
Reviewed 27 November 2011

Fron desk staff was professional and courteous. There wasa long line to check in but went quickly. Downhill from there! Keycard didn't work all the time but after 3-5 minutes it would. Then went to climb in bed and the linens were blood covered. Not the old, washed out stain but fresh looking. They changed it immediately but offered not compensation at all. The staff called the owner and was advised that changing the sheets was enough. We will not stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2011

Looked at past reviews however took a chance and was happy we did. My Dad was visiting for a week and they made us feel right at home. Even popped us popcorn! Just ask and they will be more than happy to assist. Price of the room best in Appleton! Thanks Tammy for your special kindness for my father who is hard of hearing.

Room Tip: Just ask and they will help get what you need!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank MarkChristensen849
Reviewed 27 September 2011

We had two people staying in the room and two people meeting us in Appleton from Nearby. We were not allowed to check in until exactly 3:00 despite the fact they informed us there were rooms available. The only way to get in the hotel is through the front door.. the side door card readers are disabled. Each time you go in they want to know your room number and how many people are going there to make sure you only have the number of people you said were sleeping there and also to abid by the policy of no guests after 7:30pm. Are you kidding?! We don't go to dinner until well after that! We had a younger woman smoking outside a side door late at night and she propped it open. they closed it while she was standing right there and told her to walk all the way around the building by herself to get back in cause they cant prop doors open even though it was propped open with a door stopper. They did not give us any hotel policy information or reciept at check in or out. The staff was very rude and inquisitive to everything we were doing. There was nothing out for breakfast. I would NEVER NEVER recommend this place to anyone or stay here again. If they find out you have someone else stay there overnight and did not inform them in advance...even if its a last minute change you will be charged $50 per person they think stayed there. They tried to charge us by saying we saw everything on the cameras because we were watching you. Then they came outside with us to see how many people got into our car upon check out

Room Tip: Stay Somewhere Else
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends