“Rough place to sleep!”

Howard Johnson Inn Appleton
Ranked #22 of 25 Hotels in Appleton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Hurley, Wisconsin
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I had to stay here on business. First of all, I was given a key instead of the credit card thingy. Not a big deal but I could not figure out how I was going to get in and out of the motel without the plastic room key. I finally just jammed a bad in the outside door so I was able to get in and out.

Next, I walk in the room and from the outside it was spacious and excellent. As I walked in there was a smoke machine running. In the industry, they are called CO Machines and they are used to take the smell out of rooms from mold and cigarette smoke. These are usually pulled out prior to guests entering or checking in. Not in my case. The thing was running on high and there was still a slight smell of smoke in the room. I tried to open the window to get the smell out but to no avail, the window would not open. Now, I am not a guy to complaint, but I was not happy.

I turned on the A/C and sat down to start returning email. I had the A/C on high to try to get the room temperature down just under 100 degrees when I realized that the A/C unit was pointed right at the business desk. It is now a balmy 39 degrees by the computer desk and 99 degrees in the bathroom. Good designing...........

I tried to look past all of this and went to the fridge to put my milk for morning and a few snacks. I opened the door and the light turned on, good sign right??? Wrong it was about 99.3 degrees and did not smell that well. I crawled around on the floor in an attempt to get that thing to work and it is now just finally starting to make some sort of noises. This is not to say that it is going to work, it is just doing something rather than stinking and keeping my pop and milk warm.

On the bright side, the beds were nice, the carpet was clean, the front desk guy was good, and all in all if it would not have been for the poor room, this would have been a quality place. If you are looking for something really cheap and do not care, check this place out, it is awesome!!!

Room Tip: The rooms on the ground floor are nice but you may want to ask to stay by the pool if you have kids...