“Not Your Daddy's Ho Jo's”

Howard Johnson Inn Appleton
Ranked #22 of 25 Hotels in Appleton
Antioch, Illinois
“Not Your Daddy's Ho Jo's”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Normally I wouldn't write a review for a 3 start hotel, but my experience at the Ho Jo's in Appleton, WI was a pleasing stay and didn't have the garish orange and blue decoration. Instead I found a very clean hotel that looked more of a swiss-like chalet type interior. Since I was out of town, the desk staff were friendly and accomodating. Very good value for the price.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Eirejim

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Salem, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I was glad I read the previous reviews in order to choose a hotel for my Appleton stay. The fact that it was recently renovated made it clean feeling and therefore comfortable. I appreciated the desk to do my work with the free wi fi. The bed and pillows were very nice for a lower end hotel. The room was spacious yet a bit stark. My only complaint: 15 minutes before check out time I got both a courtesy call from the from the front desk and a knock from housekeeping reminding me of check out time. When I turned in my key the desk clerk apologized for being rude but the owners required him to do that and to charge if folks didn't check out on time. I've done a lot of traveling in a lot of hotels and never received that "courtesy" call and yes, to get both the call and the knock on the door seemed a bit pushy!

1 Thank joecd
Appleton
Reviewed 12 June 2014

While not a newer property, this is a nice hotel for a great price. The beds were very comfortable and the continental breakfast more extensive than anticipated for the price. The staff was uniformly friendly and helpful. The location made it easy to get on-and-off College Avenue, which is not true of some of the other area hotels located near College Avenue.

1 Thank Laura H
Williford, Arkansas
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Older hotel but room was very comfortable and quiet. Staff was very friendly and helpful. We chose this hotel because it had a pool and other Wyndham hotels in area did not but there was a $50 room charge if we wanted to have a family member come over and swim. This was not known before getting there.

1 Thank Douglas M
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I was in town for a local frisbee tournament and stayed here because some teammates were. The hotel is extremely average. It appears they tried to do some updates in the early 2000's but havent done anything since then. The hotel can be a bit noisy if kids are parading up the hall ways.

The staff was very friendly though. And they do have a basic cold breakfast available in the morning. And the location is close enough to the highway that you can travel around easily if you wish.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank TravelasaurusW
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

This place is a joke. The WORST. We arrive and get our room. All the while there are hints of popcorn smells and cigarette smoke. Once we make it to the room our room number is nowhere to be found. We walk back and ask what that is about. We are shown our room by the front desk person. The room was massive and smelled like smoke and cat pee. We always had to go in the front door as the side door never worked with the key we were given. When we decided to leave they would not give a refund. They were very rude by this time and it took a month to finally go through the cooperate offices to get our money back. I will never go back to a Howard Johnson and highly recommend you stay away from this place.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Josephd123

Travellers are raving about these Appleton hotels