“You must try it.”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Appleton, Wisconsin
“You must try it.”
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

I drove past this place so many times and finally tried it with a friend and again with my hubby. Both times the food, service, and cleanliness were outstanding. Love the Thai papaya salad. Very spicy so order carefully. Delicious! The staff seems to genuinely like their jobs and are thankful for al the business. Great restaurant. Yummy! My new favorite.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Ilike2tri

Waupaca, Wisconsin
“When I Say "Thai Food" I Mean "Delicious"!”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Before visiting this restaurant I tried every other place in town. Why? Because I don't know what Thai food is. I've never been to Thailand. I've never had Thai friends. I've always admired their culture and interminable beauty. I've heard from reliable sources they love their King very, very, very much. That sounds nice. I have also heard that Thai food is always spicy hot and will leave you perspiring through every meal. Well as it turns out the Thai people are interminably beautiful and they really do love their King very much but the whole idea of Thai food being too hot is just not true, especially at the Basil Cafe.

I've been there a few times now and each time the Vietnamese Spring Rolls were the first thing in my mouth. They make the perfect refreshing appetizer. You'll have to try the other appetizers yourself because once I lock on to something this good I don't stray very far. One dish named "Pho" a rice noodle soup, will warm the cockles of your scorched and battered heart on any cold Wisconsin afternoon. They also serve some very tasty Fried Rice dishes and a sweet array of Stir Fried Noodle options to keep everyone satisfied. In fact, the portions of these dishes are generous enough to leave you plenty for a midnight snack. As for spiciness, the menu is clearly marked with appropriate descriptions. If you want spicy it's easy to find. If you don't want to feel your tongue combust into exotic hot pepper flames its easy to avoid. Voila!

What is also truly noteworthy (besides the Yum Talay) is the service at the Basil Cafe. I love a restaurant that makes me feel welcome (even a bad one) and here I feel comfortable and welcome. I've always been greeted with warmth and smiles and while I don't expect everyone to be happy-cheery 24 hours a day, they somehow manage it. Honorable mention to the interior decor as well. Lovely floral arrangements and colorful wall hangings bring some true variety and warmth to the place. A truly wonderful find in a town challenged for creative menus. I strongly recommend it.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank HudsonXVXV
Roswell, Georgia
“BetterBelieveQuail”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Traveled to Appleton for a business trip and our colleagues suggested Basil Cafe. Wasn't really hungry so I tried an appetizer, Crispy Quail. Beyond my surprise the dish was delicious. If you feel like freezing in January/February, take a trip to Appleton Wiscousin and try out the little bird.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Betterbelieve
Central Wisconsin
“Tasty food, but skimpy on the portions”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I have been here twice and while the food is good the portions are rather small for entrees and the soups such as the Pho are very skimpy on the meats. $11 for a large Pho which is broth and maybe .50 worth of rice noodles and a few bites of meat. The crepes are delicious but again a bit skimpy for the price. The entrees such as curries etc. are rather small for the price as well. I like the food but I am not tempted to go back as it is just not worth the price. The service is very prompt and friendly.

• Visited February 2014
Escanaba, Michigan
“Great Place for a Gluten Free/ Vegan Meal”
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Love this place! I am gluten free and Vegan and they had many options and were very aware of keeping gluten out of my meal. I ordered the Veggie Spring Rolls to start and then have had 2 different dishes for a meal. SO yummy! The staff is very friendly and it is a very cool place. It has a wonderful atmosphere. Outside of building doesn't match the inside? It is my favorite new restaurant in Appleton. Definitely check them out.

• Visited January 2014