“Low price, Few amenities”

Candlewood Suites Appleton
Ranked #19 of 25 Hotels in Appleton
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We did not realize this is an extended stay hotel, so if you stay for more than one night, you do not get any maid service - no new towels, no room cleaning, no making the bed, no new water glasses, etc. There are no frills - no pool, no continental breakfast so it is not like a hotel. It was quiet, clean, modern and inexpensive - bed was comfortable, rooms had a frig, microwave and cook top. As long as this is the type of accomodations you are looking for, or if you only stay for one night, it is a nice place.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Robin M

Reviewed 27 June 2011

We stayed at Candlewood in Appleton once before and were impressed enough to book again. For the price, you can't beat it. Granted, they don't serve a complimentary breakfast, but you can buy a lot of breakfast for the $60.00 or more that we saved on the room. Actually it is a suite, complete with full fridge, microwave, stovetop and kitchen sink. The beds are comfortable, the pillows are comfortable. The room was clean. Internet connection is no problem if you bring your own laptop. They even have a Business Center, and while the computer in it was a bit old, and the keyboard had a few keys that stuck, it still allowed me to check my e-mail messages during my 2-night stay here. Plus the on-site convenience store for late night snacks is super. It runs on the honor system. You can deposit your $ in a slot, or run a tab by giving them your room number. When I have the occasion to travel to Appleton again, I would definitely return.
No frills, no daily housekeeping, but it is still so worth it!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank mcurtt0817
CWSAPP, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Appleton, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2011

Thank you so much for staying with us at Candlewood Suites Appleton. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and will be returning. We would be honored to have you stay with us again in the future.

Thank you!

P.S. We are currently working on getting the business center upgraded. As a matter of fact, this morning a brand new copier was placed in the business center. Check it out on your next visit.

Reviewed 13 June 2011

Furniture was straight out of O'Sullivans catalog of beige particle board furniture. Very Cheap. TV was constantly getting snow and losing signal (in multiple rooms). Every room I stayed in had worn and stained carpet (EW!). Not my favorite place to stay.

Bed was OK, but the linens had seen better days. Bathrooms were always clean, although you only got service if you paid for it. Honor system Pantry was quite nice. Kitchenettes were nice as well.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank McQuality
CSAppleton, Manager at Candlewood Suites Appleton, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2011

Hi McQuality,

Sorry to read that your stay was not as expected. My curiosity is whether you spoke with someone at the front desk about your concerns. The statements below to be honest are quite shocking. We pride ourselves in not only the quality of our rooms but also the cleanliness.

Because 85% of our guests stay longer than 7 days we are considered an extended stay hotel. With this in mind there are many things that set us apart from full service hotels. One of those being housekeeping. Housekeeping is not done every day like full service hotels. We want our guests to feel like they are at home when they stay with us which is why we do not intrude into your room daily to provide housekeeping. During the check in process we inform our guests when their weekly housekeeping is scheduled. Also, inside the rooms there are several notifications that encourage you to contact the front desk if there is anything we can do to make your stay more comfortable. This includes signage that states that if you need new linens you can exchange them at the front desk at anytime. We do not charge extra for any housekeeping services.

I truly believe that many of your concerns could have been addressed and resolved right away had you spoken with one our friendly front desk representatives. I hope that you will give us a second chance to prove to you that our hotel is one of the best extended stay hotels in the state and maybe even the country.

Reviewed 27 March 2011

I stayed in a 1 queen bed studio suite for just one night, and I have to say I was a little disappointed that I didn't get to use everything. I often go on short road trips solo for genealogy research, and I wish I could find these extras at every hotel I stay at.
I checked in after 10pm, and the staff had everything ready and waiting. There is a way to check in with reservations after 11pm, but the front desk is only staffed between 7am and 11pm, so make sure you have reservations if you are a late arrival.
My room was average size, clean, and comfortable. The kitchenette was a nice surprise. There was a full refrigerator, stove, dishwasher, and a new microwave, as well as cabinets and drawers with whatever dishes you may need. All of this took up surprisingly little space. There is a dvd player below the tv if you want to bring movies, or you can borrow some at the front desk's lending library. A small shop is located in the downstairs lobby where you can buy food items, and a small selection of toiletries. The shop uses the honor system; you fill out a slip with your purchases, and it is billed to your room.
They do have wireless high-speed internet now, and that was simple to log into. I was not there long enough to need some of the other services so I can't speak of the quality, but they have a free guest laundry room (supplies are extra), and 24-hour fitness room. Suites are cleaned weekly if you are extended stay, so you would have to empty your own garbage, and exchange towels if you need more. Pets are also welcome.
The only cons I can think of would be that I could only turn on two lights, one in the bathroom, and the main light into the room. Either I was missing a light switch somewhere or the lights on either side of the bed didn't work. The other was the bed. The bed was very firm, and I'm okay with that as long as I have a firm pillow as well, but the pillows were squishy, flat things that had absolutely no support in them whatsoever. I did notice a card on the bed that said you could exchange your pillows for firmer ones or goosedown, but that was literally right before I was going to bed, and the front desk was now closed. If you need a firmer pillow, ask at the desk, or bring your own. The last thing I had issue with was the chairs at the desk. I'm 5'4", and I felt like a little kid sitting at the grownups table. The chairs were really low for the desk, and although it wasn't a big deal for the short time that I was there, it would be pretty uncomfortable to work for any period of time.
All in all it was a nice overnight stay, everything was clean, and quiet, and I did manage to sleep pretty well despite the pillow situation. I would definately stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Foyi75
CSAppleton, Manager at Candlewood Suites Appleton, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2011

Thank you so much for staying with us and we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay!! We really want our guests to feel like they are at home when they stay with us which is why we provide the amenities that we do.

I did want to let you know that even though the front desk is closed between the hours of 11pm and 7am there is always a friendly guest service representative available to accommodate any requests made so feel free to dial "0" from any phone in the hotel to reach them. No matter what the need from a new reservation to firmer pillows we are there to serve you!

Also, in regards to the lights in your room by the bed and the desk. It appears you did in fact miss the light switch on the wall near the bathroom. The light switch operates the lights by the bed and desk. :) Don't feel bad though. You're not the first person to miss it. This just enforces the idea that we need to find a way to make our guests more aware of the switch. So thank you for bringing that up!

Also, one last thing, the chair at the desk is adjustable. There is a lever on the right side of the chair that will allow you to raise and lower it. It's important that your comfortable so feel free to adjust the chair as needed in the future!

Once again, thank you for the great review and we really hope that you will stop by and see us again!!

Reviewed 21 November 2010

All-n-all...a great stay. Everything was as suspected except they didn't have Wireless Internet due to switching companies so they offered a free ethernet cable for your use. Will stay again hopefully soon.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lilme02
CSAppleton, Manager at Candlewood Suites Appleton, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2010

lilme02,

Thanks for the great review and for staying with us. We really appreciate great guests like yourself. Also, you will be glad to know that the wireless internet is now active and better than ever!!

Hope to have you as a guest again soon,

The Staff at Candlewood Suites!

Reviewed 29 August 2010

We found the room to be extremely clean. The kitchenette area was wonderful. We only stayed overnight, but would definitely search out any Candlewood Suites when we travel again. It was very quiet and the staff was welcoming and pleasant.
We were in town to see a Timber Rattler's game and the location was great.
Thanks.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kris52
Reviewed 27 April 2010

I, traveled and stayed at the Candlewood suites and took advatage fo the Candlewood weekend rates in March. For the money spent when we went at $44.95 a night well can I say more. They have a nice studio with a queen bed and kitchenette appliances and full size fridge.

Sleep quality compares just as goood if not better to the more expensive chains, with upgraded bediing in my opinion.

Utilizing the full size fridge with ice maker, for storing a few refreshments and other items alway's comes in handy, no matter where you travel.

Location: Excellent and easy to find as your close to the airport and the Fox River Mall if your in the need to shop for anything. There are just about every kind fo restaraunt within a mile or two for your dinning pleasure.

Overall I give this Candlewood Suites a very positive rating and I will be back when my business or leisure time needs me to stay in Appleton itself.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business