“I wanted to be impressed, but wasn't...”
Review of CopperLeaf Hotel

CopperLeaf Hotel
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Appleton
Reviewed 10 January 2012

We spent the New Years weekend at the CopperLeaf Hotel and it was okay. The hotel was nice but not as nice as I thought it would be for the cost of the rooms. The Hotel calls itself a "Boutique" hotel but based on the style, quality and use of materials I felt that the hotel was only a step above a average hotel. I have stayed at much nicer hotels then this for the same price.

I will say that staff was polite and very helpful. The room was fairly clean, but there was black lint all over the white bedding. The bar lock on the door was broken and the whirlpool tub was loud and did not work well. The overflow drain was mounted too high and would contently drain the tub enough that the level would fall below the jets, so consequently you had to keep refilling the tub. Also every other hotel that I have stayed at that had whirlpool tubs in the room provided some sort of bubble bath or bathe salts, this hotel didn't.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Grover28
dans1, General Manager at CopperLeaf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2012

Thank you for staying with us over New Year’s Eve and describing your stay. I am sorry the CopperLeaf did not display the “WOW” factor you might have been looking for. However, we are always looking to improve and any feedback from our guests helps us to achieve that objective.

I appreciate you mentioning the staff was polite and helpful and that the room was clean. Please accept my apologies for the “black lint” that you mentioned was on the bedding. Having not seen it, I can’t explain what it might have been or its origin however, I am hopeful it was brought to the attention of our staff and that we resolved the issue for you.

I am so very sorry for the maintenance issues you identified. As a matter of process, these are matters that should have been resolved prior to your check-in. Generally, maintenance concerns are resolved prior to check-in unless it is a situation where the guest checks in prior to our normal check-in time of 3:00 p.m. Since this posting is anonymous, there is no way for me to tell if that might have been the case. I am sorry the hot tub was not of a design that was completely accommodating. I truly have not had this issue brought to my attention before. Admittedly, it would be difficult to resolve this until we get to the stage where we would completely replace the hot tub with a new one. I appreciate your comment about bath salts and this is something I will consider putting in place for the future.

Thank you for your review and I hope we have the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed 3 January 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Copperleaf over the Christmas holiday to attend the game at Lambeau field. Lucky for us the Green Bay hotels were all overpriced and/or booked! This gem of a hotel proved to be one of the nicest ones we have had the pleasure to stay. From the time I made the reservation to the time we checked out the service was wonderful, the room comfortable and inviting and the location perfect! On our way back home to Oklahoma I discovered that I had left some belongings in the closet, the staff got back to me immediately and packed up our things to ship out to us UPS. A few days later, we received them! A big thank you to the front desk staff, manager and housekeeping department for making our stay memorable. When we come back for another game at Lambeau, which we will, we will definitely stay here. Recommend wholeheatedly!

Room Tip: I can't imagine there being a "bad" room!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 December 2011

We spent the weekend in Appleton getting acquainted with the area. The CopperLeaf was exceptional. Midwestern ambiance and all the details of a delightful hotel experience.
Our room had a refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, very comfortable mattress, Aveda bath products and yes, even a minibar which was a plus as we arrived after room service had ceased @ 10 PM.
A comprehensive buffet breakfast with trays to take your food back to your room to your reposing partner.
Friendly, helpful staff but not invasive.
Room service was prompt and the food was well prepared, presented, hot and delicious.
Would definitely recommend to others and would stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank betomval
Reviewed 10 December 2011

This was honestly one of the best hotel experiences I have ever had. In Appleton for business for a week and decided to try something different. The hotel has a warm and inviting decor. The staff that I interacted with were very friendly and helpful (opening doors for me when I had my hands full). My room was spacious and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom had Aveda products and a jacuzzi tub (did not use this but thought it was a nice touch). I noticed lots of little things as well, for example the bathroom was stocked with q-tips and cotton balls, and there were 2 bathrobes provided. Giant comfy bed with plenty of covers, not just the thin sheet and coverlet of some hotels. Also had a minibar and microwave in my room.
I only had 2 small complaints about the room, one was that the tv is inside an armoir and is not on a sliding shelf, so you can't see the TV from the desk; only from the bed. The other is that the heating/cooling unit turns off when you leave the room, and it takes several minutes for it to kick back in when you return. However there was a note in the room explaining this, so I must not be the first person to notice.
The complimentary breakfast was great, definitely had "extras" above and beyond the typical continental fare. They were very attentive to replacing the empty coffee carafes. The fitness room was not the most updated I've ever seen, but it is a large room with two treadmills, a bike, a universal weight machine and some freeweights. The equipment is very spread out so you don't bump elbows with your neighbor.
The parking is in a garage behind the hotel and costs $2 per entry, not per day, so I tried to minimize my ins & outs. Also it is cash only, so make sure to have some singles with you.
I had dinner one night in the hotel restaurant, Bella Vita. It was delicious and also had lots of reasonably priced options.
All in all I had very little to complain about. This hotel feels upscale but didn't make me feel nickel-and-dimed by extras; I still had my free wifi and my free breakfast. They clearly pay attention to the details which is something I really appreciate.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 December 2011

The Copperleaf was a delightful addition to our Thanksgiving visit to Appleton. Everyone on the staff was friendly and helpful. We enjoyed the complementary breakfasts which went welll beyond the minimal offerings of some places. I always like to slip into a cotton bathrobe. The room was big and the mattress reminded me that I need to get a new one at home. The hotel is on the main drag, an easy walk to the college campus, performing arts center, and the river. Well worth the somewhat higher rates.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 November 2011

My husband and I stayed there for 2 nights. We were in town to attend a concert at the Performing Arts Center one block away. Many restaurants in the area (and one in the hotel), a parking ramp behind the hotel ($2 entry fee each time you come and go). VERY helpful staff. Felt like we were paying the high rate ($117/night for a fairly basic room) to cover things we didn't use: exercise facility, spa in the lower level, bar in the entrance area. Our shower didn't work well and I did report that. Room needed dusting. There are other options in the area that we may try next time we come to Appleton. Oh----and many area attractions are closed on Mondays. Just FYI.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank maresa02
dans1, General Manager at CopperLeaf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2011

Thank you for staying with us at the CopperLeaf Hotel and taking the time to share comments about your visit. I was pleased to see our location near the Performing Arts Center and the availability of many dining options within walking distance of the hotel were some of the reasons you chose to stay with us. Thank you for noting how helpful the staff was during your visit. We strive to offer personalized service to all our guests in our hope of earning your loyalty.

I am sorry to learn that your stay was just “ok” and that we did not offer the level of value you expected. I noticed you believe a portion of your rate had to do with hotel amenities on site that you did not use. Although we are fortunate to be able to provide the services of Spa BenMarNico’s, the Bella Vita Ristorante, cocktail lounge, and exercise facility, etc., we don’t make the convenience of these an add-on to your rate. If your were to compare the rate your paid to other comparable hotels in the area for a comparable room type, I believe you will find the Copperleaf to be very competitively priced.

Please accept my apologies for dust noticed in your room and for a problem noticed with the shower. I reviewed your comments with our Executive Housekeeper making note of the dust. It is our policy to have all rooms inspected by a manager or supervisor prior to check-in. This procedure typically prevents any oversights such as the one you encountered. This surely should not have been overlooked. The only time the inspection of a room might not be completed is in the case of a guest checking in much earlier than our normal check-in time of 3:00 p.m. Since your Trip Advisor post is anonymous, I am unaware if you checked-in to your room early. I hope our maintenance team took care of any concerns identified with the performance of the shower. The next time you visit Appleton, I hope you give my team and I the opportunity to serve you again. Kind Regards,

Reviewed 21 November 2011

I actually was staying here for business but had such a good time that I would go again in a second. After having a rough drive in the snow from the airport I got to the hotel in dire need of some food and relaxation. I checked into my room and immediately called the spa to see if they had any openings for a massage, unfortunately they did not but I was able to book a salt scrub for later that night. After booking my room I freshened up and headed down to the restaurant in the hotel. My waiter was attentive and had great recommendations, the wine and the food were some of the best I have ever had. After dinner I headed to my salt scrub (in retrospect going to lay on your stomach after just eating a ton is not a great idea...), the people in the spa were again very attentive and took care of my every need. After I had digested my food a bit I was able to enjoy my relaxing scrub, then I headed up to my room, turned on my in room fireplace, filled the Jacuzzi tub and took a hot bubble bath. I also took advantage of the spa robes and Aveda bath supplies. Overall it was one of the most relaxing work trips I have ever been on.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business