“Unique dishes, very personal attention from owner”
Review of Java Warung

Java Warung
Ranked #22 of 370 Restaurants in Appleton
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Asian, Indonesian, Malaysian
Dining options: Buffet, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Authentic Indonesian dining in a casual atmosphere. Lunch buffet, dinner and all day Sunday is menu only. A perfect place for a night out with friends, business dinner, lunch from the buffet or take-out. Our casual dining area is designed to add to the dining experience by bringing a small sampling of Indonesian culture and art.
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I've eaten here three times and the owner has always personally made sure we had a great experience. The food is unusual, in that I haven't eaten much at truly Indonesian restaurants. Come prepared to experiment. Some of the dishes remind me of Chinese while others remind me of Indian food. We especially enjoy the lunch buffet, served every day but Sunday and they are closed on Monday. There are so many choices of delicious items. Recent highlights for us included the oxtail soup and the tasty, tender ribs. I have a sweet tooth and she makes fantastic desserts (mostly American style) as part of the buffet. If you enjoy Asian food, this is a must stop for Appleton.

1  Thank Skytrekker
There are newer reviews for Java Warung

Reviewed 3 April 2014

The lunch buffet is a Culinary Journey. Amazing!!!! If you haven't been there you are missing out on a taste delicious odyssey. The Owners are wonderful. We will be regular customers.

3  Thank Drblohm
Reviewed 25 February 2014

My family went here for the lunch buffet. The interior is very clean, tidy, and bright. The buffet was arranged very attractively, and was a lovely presentation. We were greeted by the owner/chef, who was very pleasant. (Speaking with her after our meal, I commented on the artwork in the restaurant and found out that all of the paintings were done by the owner herself!)

The variety was good, and we had no problem finding suitable food for our two very young children to enjoy. There were 2 kinds of soup, several noodle, meat, and vegetable dishes, salad, sushi, fresh fruit and vegetable platters, and desserts. We tasted a little bit of almost everything, and the major favorite was the "sweet and sour fish." The sushi was unique, with mango and seaweed.

We paid $7.50 for lunch buffet for adults (weekday), and $5.00 for my oldest child. Youngest was free, although he ate an eggroll and quite a lot of fresh blackberries.

I've been told that they also have excellent coffee drinks, but I didn't order any myself. I'm looking forward to going back!

1  Thank Sarah K
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Where in Wisconsin can you get grilled stingray or goat curry? We tried Java Warung with some friends. It is located in an old fast food restaurant and the atmosphere shows it . Our friends who are well traveled told us that this is what a restaurant in Indonesia would probably look like so I was not so critical of that.
I had chicken satay for an appetizer. The chicken had a delicious smoky flavor and the sauce was really good. For an entree I had the roast duck. The seasonings were very good but the duck was rather boney. I would try something else if you go. My wife's dish (which is something I cant pronounce) was really good.
It looks like they may have a buffet set up for the lunch hour. I would likely try that to get a sample of the variety of food they offer.

In summation. Forgive the atmosphere and enjoy the food.

1  Thank teodelanorte
Reviewed 11 January 2014

After reading the positive reviews I was excited to try Java Warung. My first impression walking in was that it was more basic in decor than I had envisioned. But that's okay, some of the best places are sparse in decor. The lunch buffet looked awesome with all of the choices and was priced right at $8.99. Imagine my disappointment when everything on the buffet turned out to be lukewarm at best and the "popular" chicken soup had bones in it. If the food had been hot I could have given this restaurant a higher rating. Maybe avoiding the buffet and ordering something off the menu would be a better choice. Unfortunately, I don't want to risk another bad meal to try it out.

dwpickett, Owner at Java Warung, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Thank you for your comments but I must say I was very surprised knowing we keep all foods at appropriate temperatures. All soups and curries are maintained at about 180 deg F, not lukewarm as you state but quite hot and this is a significant percentage of the selection.

Rice and noodle dishes, vegetables and fried foods are maintained at a little above 140 deg F. I did some test to determine the temperature once a serving reaches the table and the customer begins to eat. When served from the buffet at 140 deg the temperature drops to about 130 deg very quickly once on the plate and after a few more minutes filling a plate, will be about 120 - 125 deg once the plate reaches the table, which is still warm. These dishes are best maintained at this temperature, especially the noodle and rice dishes, as they dry out very quickly if kept at higher temperatures such as 170 - 180 deg.

For you to say "everything on the buffet turned out to be lukewarm at best" is quite misleading.

Concerning bones in the chicken soup. Traditional Indonesian chicken soup does have bones in similar to how a chicken is commonly cut up for frying. We did this initially, got some complaints, and since have been removing the bones. Since your review, I did additional checking, did find some bones and have discussed with the cooks the proper procedure to assure all bones are removed in the future.