“better than expected after reading reviews”

BEST WESTERN Appleton Inn
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Appleton
Appleton, Wisconsin
“better than expected after reading reviews”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

We decided to spend the night due to school being cancelled 2 days in a row because of below zero temps. I had read that the service here was not very good at all so I was prepared to make the best of it since we got a good deal and they have ping pong and pool tables. The service was very good...the woman at the desk (owners wife?? Indian descent) was very sweet and her husband called the maintenance guy to come and fix the pool table for us as it was not working. Upon heading to the great breakfast that came with our stay, the same woman asked us if everything was ok with our stay and was friendly and welcoming. The pool was warm enough and the room was clean and beds were comfortable. She even let us do a late checkout with a friendly upbeat attitude. If you want a nice hotel for a family stay, this is fine for the price.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 106 overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Bob S, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Appleton Inn, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Jennifer, thank you so much for choosing to stay with us. Our staff is well-trained to assist all of our guests with their needs. Please visit us again and give us the chance to serve you and your family again. Thank you for choosing the Best Western Fox Valley Inn.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Madison
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

The hotel was clean, the room was a nice size, and the beds were comfortable. I was worried about the cleanliness from other reviews but for the price it met my expectations. The pool area was the best thing about the hotel! However, the room was dark and cold. The seating area in my room was also a joke. The chairs were so close to the bed you couldn't sit down. Plus, the hotel staff at the front desk were extremely rude when I tried to tell them my complaint about the restaurant connected to them as they gave me coupons for it. I was told the restaurant is separate and has nothing to do with them. Well, maybe the hotel shouldn't be recommending them and handing out coupons for the restaurant! Just an FYI, don't eat at Blueberry Hill...terrible terrible customer service!!!!

• Stayed January 2014
I am so glad that you enjoyed out salt water pool. It is one of the few amenities we offer. I am very sorry that our customer service did not meet your expectations. I will make sure to address this. Please visit us again so you can experience that changes we have made. Thank you again.
La Crosse, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

This was my first stay at the BEST WESTERN Fox Valley Inn. Overall it was as nice stay. The lobby area was clean and the check in process was fast and efficient. The front desk worker was friendly and helpful showing me where in the hotel my room was. My room was clean and comfortable. I got to experience their salt water pool that was clean and nice having a TV by the hot tub so you could watch TV while relaxing in the hot tub. I did like having a salt water pool so you don't smell like chemicals when you get out. It was nice having video games, ping pong tables, pool table, etc in the pool area. There were a couple issues with my stay. The first was the parking lot. The parking lot was covered with ice. I'm not sure what the weather was like prior to my stay but there were some areas of the parking lot that were dangerous. Also, the door I was told to use to get to my room was covered in glare ice. The biggest issue with my stay was the extremely loud music that woke me up in the morning. At about 8am I woke up to someone playing the radio very loud through the PA system in the pool area. I'm not sure why the radio had to be played over the PA that loud especially since there wasn't anyone in the pool area and the pool wasn't even open yet. I would stay here again if I'm ever back in the area but I'd make sure I don't get a room by the pool so I can rest and sleep in and not be woken up early.

Room Tip: Don't get a room by the pool unless you want to be woken up early by loud music.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Joseph B
Thank you Joseph for your review. We really appreciate your stay with us. We will make sure the music in control. Be sure to visit us again. Thank you again.
Neenah, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

I've been staying here for many years and it's changed a lot, mostly in good ways. The hotel staff has always been kind and courteous. I've never had a problem with the cleanliness of the rooms or pool area. I miss the sauna they used to have there which has now been replaced with a small workout room. I do not like the change from chlorine to salt water in their pool, because the salt irritates my skin so badly so I can't swim there anymore. However I've continued to enjoy the hot tub! They've always had a gaming area, however over the years it has grown a bit smaller; but the kids still enjoy it nonetheless. I love coming here for parties and group events, there's a lot of space to accommodate large amounts of people and counter space for food. I highly recommend this place for the weary traveler or even for those of us who just want a nice weekend getaway.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Bob S, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Appleton Inn, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Thank you for visiting the Best Western Fox Valley Inn with your family. I am sorry you could not enjoy the pool. The salt water pool is actually more safer because it does fade clothes or burn eyes. We want to keep up with the modern times. So we changed our pool for a better guest experience.
Independence, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

We were in Appleton on business for the day when I became sick. Rahter than drive 5 hours home, we checked in to the BW FVI. Nikki and her staff were outstanding in setting us up with a room. They showed great concern about my well being. We have stayed at this facility in the past and it is great. The breakfast is also very good. Thank you very much.

Room Tip: First floor poolside is best.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Debra, it is always great to see you. Nikki is great at customer service. We glad that you enjoyed our hot breakfast because there are so many options to choose from. Visit us again soon so we can get a another chance to serve you
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

We stayed here last minute in an effort to avoid a snowstorm - on a Packer weekend. Somehow they graciously found us a room and accomodated us (at 1:30am!). We had a baby in tow, so they gave us a room close to the entrance to make things easier for us. The front desk staff even brought my bags to the room while my husband unloaded the car. The next thing I knew, the front desk guy was back at our door with blankets (that I didn't even ask for but needed) since it was so cold out! This place is old, but seems to be well maintained. Breakfast was hot and there were quite a few options available. All in all it was a great visit and the staff seems to be in tune with what people need. We didn't have the opportunity to go in the pool, but it looks like a great setup for families.

This is an older property and the facility shows it, but I gave it a very good rating because the staff and service really make up for that.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We do pride on our staff training and a great customer service experience. We want to make your stay as comfortable as possible. Thank you for choosing the Best Western Fox Valley Inn. Please us on a planned vacation when possible.
Waupun, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

The service was fantastic. We booked four poolside rooms for New Years Eve and were disheartened when we arrived and all the tables in the pool area were taken with other families with the same idea…games and hors devours for the evening. I spoke with the front desk and immediately they set up a few more tables for us and another guest who just arrived. The brought in more chairs and asked if there was anything else we needed for our stay.

Through out the night the staff was constantly restocking the pool towels and emptying thrash. They also made sure everyone was having fun and staying in line. The pool stayed open until 2am that night.

The rooms were good, two queens, micro, fridge, etc. It is an older hotel, but you can tell that they have kept it up. We loved that the pool room/social gathering area was right outside our hotel room door. It made things very convenient and everyone could be together in one area.

We will be back for sure!

Room Tip: Definitely choose a poolside room. It was worth it to be so close since it is not your typical pool...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Heather, we are glad that your new years started with us. We loved having you as a guest. You were a pleasant with your family. We always try to go above and beyond to make our guest experience memorable. Please visit us again. Thank you