“Husband thought it was OK but I thought it was marginal”

Fox River Brewing Co
Ranked #22 of 370 Restaurants in Appleton
Cuisines: American
“Husband thought it was OK but I thought it was marginal”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Was in the area and ate at this restaurant that is attached to the mall. There weren't many people in the restaurant - maybe that should have been a clue. We came for a light dinner so ordered the bruschetta appetizer and split the Mexican blackened chicken salad. My husband also had a couple of their beers. He liked the beer and the salad. Not special or great - but good. However, the blackened chicken had sooooo much seasoning that I could not eat it. I ate around the chicken because it was way too spicy for me. However, what we agreed on was that the bruschetta was bad. They hadn't toasted the bread or melted the mozzarella. Because they hadn't toasted the bread, it was soggy. NOT GOOD. I would have asked for it to be re-made by that makes my husband a little uncomfortable. There have to be better choices of restaurants in the area. On a positive note, the food wasn't expensive.

Visited July 2013

Philly
“Nice Selection in a Convenient Location”
Reviewed 26 June 2013

I travel to the Appleton area regularly for business and the restaurant options can get a bit monotonous. The Fox River Brewing Company is one of the few places that feels like home - there are plenty of options that are not heavily fried or smothered in grease and cheese. All of the items I've had have been fresh tasting and well prepared, and the menu is diverse enough to please anyone in your party. The space is open and airy, and the service has been friendly and attentive.

• Visited June 2013
Houghton, Michigan
“Great beer, mediocre food, cheap atmosphere”
Reviewed 16 February 2013 via mobile

I drove to Appleton with my family for a weekend to do some shopping. For some reason I lucked out and my wife said I could go grab a beer while she shopped. I found the mall map, and walked briskly to Fox River Brewing Co.

The place was busy and loud on a snowy February Saturday, around 3:00 pm. The atmosphere is pretty cold, with tall metal ceilings, tall tables, and a concrete floor. Bass-heavy 80s music and lots of conversation complete the theme. It's a mall after all.

Service was crisp and fast. A pint of Scottish ale arrived quickly and we perused the menu. It was early afternoon, between lunch and dinner, so we ordered the premium nachos with chicken and pico de gallo to share. The food came pretty quick too. The portion was huge, but liquid cheese drowned the crisp chips and soon they were mush.

After another excellent Scottish ale I forgot about the food. But the 80s music droned on. "Let's hear it for the boy..." That's 80s right? I'm getting too old for this.

Spartanburg, South Carolina
“Worth A Try”
Reviewed 11 February 2013 via mobile

I ate here on a Busniness trip and I was not blown away but it was not bad. I had the white chicken chili and the walleye and both were ok. The service was good and there was a crowd so I assume most people were there for the beer. They had a large selection of house made beers. I will give this place another try on my next trip.

Reedsburg, Wisconsin
“Had a good meal and beer”
Reviewed 3 February 2013

We went here to eat as we were in the mall area. Now to be honest this was not our first choice but every other place in the area had a 30+ min wait. Here we got seated immediately. The hostess was friendly getting us seated. The table is covered in paper so our 2 year old had a blast coloring on the table.

We ordered a sampler platter that was good. It did not come with bbq sauce but it was no problem getting some. I had ordered the steak. It was cooked exactly as I ordered it. It came with red potatoes covered in a very tasty gravy. I also had several of there micro brewed beers that also very very good. The menu even has suggestions as to what to try with the food you are eating.

My wife had fish and chips that she enjoyed. She also is not much for micro brewed beers but our server made a suggestion and was able to get something that she enjoyed more than she expected.

Overall it was a meal that hit the spot and we left full and satisfied.

• Visited February 2013

Been to Fox River Brewing Co? Share your experiences!