“Sea Breeze Suite”

Franklin Street Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 5 Appleton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 October 2013

This was our first Bed & Breakfast experience. My husband surprised me with the Sea Breeze for Sweetest Day. I would highly recommend this for a romantic little get-away. Judy provided a true home away from home environment taking care if every last detail to create perfection. I enjoyed the historical preservation of this lovely home it was quite tranquil. And the food was delicious served promptly at our requested time. I cannot wait to see what else this B&B has to offer. Thanks for the wonderful experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 October 2013

This is an easy walk to Lawrence University, and good value. Judy, the proprietor, greets everyone warmly and is very helpful. She arranged to accommodate an extra person in my party on short notice -- the room she put that person in wasn't as nice as the rooms she advertises on the web, but it was completely serviceable, clean, and comfortable. The advertised rooms are exactly as described -- she has posted useful photos on her web site. The beds are comfortable and breakfast is fabulous. (And can be customized if you have dietary preferences.) Breakfast is a group activity, with all the guests around a large table, and I found that a very pleasant way to start the day.

Wifi is fine. Water pressure/temps are good. The rooms all have a TV, although it might not be super conveniently placed. Check-in is during specific hours (or when someone happens to be in) but it is only a B&B, and there might not be anyone home to check you in at odd hours. Once you have checked in, you can come and go as you please, though. You can hear the train from many of the bedrooms, but that's true in any place this close to campus.

The house is very attractive, in a nice neighborhood, with a garden and lots of flowers, but the vines growing along the out-door bannisters make the (short) staircases into the house tricky for people with limited mobility or poor balance. I've stayed in several places in Appleton, including a different B&B, a major hotel, and a motel, and this is my favorite. I think it is also the best value I've found.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 October 2013

This is a WONDERFUL place to stay in Appleton, WI! The Inn itself is lovely, very pretty and well-maintained, including the grounds. Every possible thing one might need has been thoughtfully anticipated and provided for. The breakfasts are scrumptious. The rooms are spotless. The bed was incredibly comfortable. The Inn is 2 blocks from Lawrence University so I didn't need to rent a car to visit the college.

Probably best of all was the incredible warm hospitality provided by Judy, the owner, and her helper, Brenda. We'll be back to visit!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I was totally impressed with this award winning establishment. I was so pleased with the accommodations and the service and kindness of the proprietors. The breakfast was tailored to my desire and it was the best I have had - wonderfully prepared by the gourmet cook and owner Judy who has written two cook books. The accommodations are meticulously maintained and built. This place is so charming and close to everything downtown and the main thoroughfare of College street.

Room Tip: The Franklin Inn is near Lawrence University and not far from the river, river drive and shopping. A...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 September 2013

As the title states, this was my first visit to a B&B. Judy, the innkeeper, was very helpful upon check-in, if not even a little overwhelming with information. You can tell she is passionate about the quality of the rooms, decor, and property. Although I am generally interested more in modern architecture, the decor of this place absolutely fit with the Victorian building.

The location is pretty easy to get to, and just a short drive from College Ave and the Fox River Mall. A great bonus for us is that it's within just a few blocks' walking distance of Apollon, our dinner reservation for the evening. Parking is free, if not just a little cramped.

The Franklin Suite room was very elegant and romantic, a perfect fit for our anniversary. The large whirlpool tub works very well, and the room itself is almost a mini-house. A fridge and microwave are on site, though I found that a parcel I left in the microwave was ripped open upon departure. Probably another guest being a little careless is all! The lights can be dimmed, the homemade cookies were a great touch, and free wi-fi is always a nice bonus.

Breakfast was lovely, as we opted to eat in the dining hall. Home-made eggs, fresh fruit, and an apple fritter type of dessert that was amazing, all made for a good, full stomach on the way out. There's a small gift shop area that has some nice mugs and other souvenirs you can pick up.

The email feedback was nice to have, and I found it relatively humorous that she asked for feedback on here, considering we used this site to find this B&B! Pretty good value for the money, but you definitely want to make use of the room at these prices!

Room Tip: The Franklin Suite is beautiful, but a bit pricey (~$200)
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Thoughtful, friendly service. The innkeeper made a tasty fruit crumble for an afternoon snack and a great breakfast that included tomatoes from her garden. Comfortable bed. An easy walk to Lawrence University.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

This is a very nicely decorated bed and breakfast. The sheets on bed are wonderful. I now understand why people buy expensive sheets.
The inn keepers are very helpful. made fantastic restaurant recommendations for us. we had to go early In am and inn keepers had a delicious to go breakfast for us. I plan on staying with them again. I think others would enjoy there hospitality also.

• Stayed: September 2013