“don't stay here especially if paying by credit card...”
Review of Bristol Hotel

Bristol Hotel
Ranked #47 of 56 Hotels in Brasilia
England
“don't stay here especially if paying by credit card...”
Reviewed 22 April 2009

I think this hotel has changed for the worse since the other review was made in 2006. The staff were not friendly at all. They would take ages giving you your key and instead carrying on a conversation with another staff member.

The rooms are small and have very old furniture. The room was clean and the bathroom was marble, but it flooded the bathroom when I used the shower and then it was slippery and dirty. They wanted money in exchange for shampoo and conditioner! They asked an exorbitant rate for the items in the minibar. Out of desperation I went to have a bottle of water and luckily realised it was out of date! There was a garage around the corner that I went to much better value and safe to drink!

The room on one side of the building are very noisy as they face one of the main roads in Brasilia.
The breakfast was quite good but the room can get very busy. The lifts take ages to come.

The worst think was when I went to check out. I was in a rush and when I went to pay by MasterCard they tried it three times and then said I had no money on it! I had enough cash and stupidly paid them that way. However I went to a cash point across the road straight after and withdrew money no problem. When I explained this to a Brazilian colleague he explained that this has happened to him. They do it to save the 6% credit card fee. I felt really disappointed and then it become obvious what the two staff were doing when they were intimidating me to pay. One was disconnecting the line in the back as I put my pin in. I feel really stupid not realising but I was in such a rush. Thus, I would urge you to try one of the many other hotels nearby. Many of them look very nice and much newer.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank tell-it-as-it-is47

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
New Haven, CT
Reviewed 1 May 2006

The rooms are average size, very clean and the staff was always friendly and helpful. The rates were about average. There is polished marble everywhere in this hotel - seemingly all the floors, a lot of the walls; our bathroom seemed to have had a nicely done, recent update - the whole thing was marble, top to bottom. The hotel restaurant had good food and service, with a good daily b-fast buffet. The hotel is conveniently across the street from a lg. mall (see below). I made my reservations on-line and had no trouble.

All this said, the Bristol is a large, older hotel that has lots of 60's character but needs an update -the beds, nightstand and (struggling) air conditioner especially in our room. There is a postage stamp-sized parking lot if you're driving.

Brasilia didn't seem to be a huge tourist destination, which suited us just fine after busy Rio at Carnival. The hotel seemed mostly empty. But if you like to look at interesting architecture, this is a great place to do it. The cathedrals and government bldgs. are works of modern art. We were there for 1.5 days which would probably be enough if we were better organized. Definitely take a half-day (or so) guided tour as the city is quite spread out the way it is designed, plus you get some history, etc. along the way. Also because of the city plan, there are few restaurants near the main hotel area except in the malls (and the hotels themselves), where there is a large selection from their food courts. Restaurants are a taxi ride away it seemed if you know where to go.

4 Thank NewHavenTraveller