“Reasonable value, no frills hotel”

Tamandare Plaza Hotel
Ranked #28 of 53 Hotels in Goiania
Oswestry, United Kingdom
“Reasonable value, no frills hotel”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

The exterior of the hotel is finished with brown tiles and looks a little dowdy. The glass door entrance opens automatically as you enter which is useful if carting a lot of luggage.. I think the rather down beat appearance was made worse by the fact that there was a new apartment block being built opposite so the narrow street looked scruffy with the paraphernalia of a building site clogging the street. On check in the receptionist was unable to speak English and I was glad to have a Brazilian friend with me to assist. However on the evening shift the staff spoke very good English and were helpful. I immediately noticed that the amount charged to my credit card was more than the web price but I realised this was down to the addition of local tax which had been mentioned on the website so I was not too put out. A porter took my bag to the room on the ninth floor and was happy to receive a tip of 10 Brazilian reals. The room was of moderate size - a little larger than a Premier Inn room. There was adequate storage space and it seemed clean. The air conditioning worked well but the shower was a bit primitive. A mini bar was available, a can of beer being 5 reals, cashew nuts 6 reals, can of pop 5 reals..I was able to connect to the free hotel wi- fi (the password is provided on a slip of paper inside the entry key envelope) and lasts for 48 hours (renewable for free every 48 hours) but unfortunately I could not access the web with my laptop. The buffet breakfast was quite good (hot and cold food) and the staff were friendly. Lunch is served at the hotel (not sampled) but not dinner. Room service is available but I did not use this. There is no pool or fitness suite. The small 'business centre' has a pc and printer but the printer is not set up to print so I was not able to print out my airline online check in document. Thankfully the evening receptionist allowed me 'back stage' so I could print it from the hotel's IT equipment. Had I been able to use my laptop the receptionist told me that I could have emailed him the document and he would have printed it for me.

I paid GB £ 330 for six nights including breakfast which I thought was fair value for a city centre hotel. Goiania is not really a tourist destination so there is not that much to see but it does have good transport links to all areas of the State of Goias - of which Goiania is the capital city - and the rest of Brazil. However friends said that the zoo is quite good. The nearby park had turtles in the lake and monkeys in the trees which was a pleasant surprise! The roads are busy and driving around hazardous especially with the large number of Honda 125 cc motorbikes whizzing round; each rider convinced they have right of way as they filter at speed through the rest of the traffic.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Gary S
Valéria V, Manager at Tamandare Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Gari s.

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at (5562) 4012.1314

Valéria Valadares

BEST WESTERN Tamandare Plaza Hotel

Goiania, GO
Reviewed 27 August 2011

Don't believe anything you read on their web site. AC in room is awful and the rooms are straight out of the 1950s. Nasty bathroom and shower that only spewed water! This ia an old outdated hotel that I would never recommend. Had to have the entry key redone 4 times during my stay. The advertised high speed Internet did not work in my room on the 8th floor. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank Jim P

Travellers are raving about these Goiania hotels