“Nice place - Bad restuarant”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Arkdale
Northern Bay Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Arkdale
Minneapolis
“Nice place - Bad restuarant”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

The family and I stayed there for 2 nights in August 2014. The golf view condo we rented was very nice. Plenty of room. I like golf but was there to short of a time to hit the coarse which I skipped being it was too pricey anyway for just golf. Great area for pedal biking. A lot of back roads to get some miles on. Beach was nice. Not sure why at the rates they charge there are no chairs on the beach. Seems they could provide some. The kids played tennis. They were able to get on but was a little crowded. They could afford to build a few more. I see other people mentioned the wrist band charge. Seems a little weird to charge 5 bucks for a lost one. We managed to hang onto all 10 of ours.

The only real problem we had was the restaurant and I see a few others said that place was bad also. I should of listened. This is a quick summary. It was hard to tell where to go when you walked in. We sat in the bar and I didn't even know there was a restaurant side. It was Sunday night and it was almost empty. It took a long time to get someone to come by. Once the waitress started to help us after that point the bartender didn't help at all even though there were only 3 groups in the bar area. It must be a fight for the tip thing I am guessing. We got drinks. Took a long time. I ordered a filet and asked if it came with a vegetable. Waitress said she thinks so. Placed an order after a long time of waiting again. Sat there with empty drinks for 25 mins. I even did the joke thing where you lay your glass on the side and have ice cubes on the table and still never was noticed. Bartender thought we were invisible. Finally got our food maybe 45 mins later. My steak came with no vegetable as I had asked. Waitress just said I guess it doesn't come with one. The kids had burgers and said there were fine and my wife got chicken strips and said it was OK. I love filets and have ever only had 2 or 3 bad ones in my life. This was one. It was a piece of leather. Now I don't blame anybody as I know from cooking back in my teens at restaurants that can happen to anybody. It's no big deal. It's what the restaurant does that can or cannot create a good or bad experience. When the waitress finally came by again 20 mins later I mentioned it was really bad. She said she was sorry. Nothing done however. Later I got the bill of around $55 and asked that the steak be discounted. She said she would get the manager on duty and cleared the table except left the half chewed steak in on the table. The woman manager came out and said she would talk to the cook? Not sure why. I don't think the cook is going to say "Yea that was a crappy piece give him a new one". The plate was again left there and when she came back said she would discount the bill. I assume to remove my $17 filet (which is actually a good price for a 6 oz. filet). However she took off 30% of a steak that I ate about 3 bites that I didn't have to spit out. At that point I just figured I would call the real manager. I did about a week later and Chris Goodwick returned my call after calling twice. I provided my 5 minutes of details and Chris asked that I send copies of my receipt. Seems like that is asking a lot after my story and the small dollar amount. My working at the restaurant days my owner would of just picked up the tab after that experience and bought some more drinks. Oh well I scanned them and e-mailed them to him. After sending a 2nd follow up e-mail Chris said another $20 credit would be put on my card which it was. I am not saying they should of picked up my whole tab but to get $25.10 off of a $55 bill when I had such a bad experience at the Castle Course restaurant and I had to jump through hoops to get the refund seemed kind of weak in my eyes. And just to let you know the last time I complained at a restaurant was around 1997. I still remember it. We found some really great restaurants in the area with a short drive that were wonderful and cheap.

So stay at this place is a great place to stay, but I wold never ever eat there. Bring your own food or go somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Took the extended family here for a week's vacation. Janie set us up with side-by-side units, with 1 unit upgraded to a 3 bedroom free after she had to change our location a month after we made the reservations. Great kids play area, pool and tennis courts right across the parking lot - a lot to enjoy! The condos are top of the line, with granite, large hallways, dining area tables with plenty of chairs, and nice couches and lounging chairs. The resort is pricey, but worth it. (Great golf on site as well.) Called for service 2 times, and received prompt service both times.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
St Pete Beach
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Rented two condos for extended family and had a great time together. The rooms were very comfortable and spacious with modern amenities. The pool was fun and convenient, the golf course was very nice and the beach, although small, it was adaquate for our group. The lake is also fairly large, but full of algea. The staff was courteous and easy to deal with.
All in all a very good experience with lots of stuff to do with the kids!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Jayne S, General Manager at Northern Bay Resort, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
I am happy to hear your family enjoyed their stay at Northern Bay Resort. The pool area is a great place to swim while the occasional seasonal algae issue arises.
Saint Michael, Minnesota
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We're a group 8 fairly serious avid golfers who take golf trips every summer and decided to play Northern Bay. The layout is challenging and the holes are framed well and visually appealing. But thats about where the positives end.

The replica holes are not very accurate. 10 and 18 (TPC island green and Bay Hill) holes are nice. But the rest are fairly forgettable and don't mimic the real holes very well.

Course conditioning was average to poor. The grass in the fairways was very long (almost went inside to ask if they have a fairway mower), the tee boxes are in poor shape, and way too much out of bounds on the course (almost every hole).

As I said its a good layout and we liked the idea of it. But it is definately not worth 100 dollars to play. We played a couple courses in the Dells which blew this one away for the same money.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tom M
Jayne S, Manager at Northern Bay Resort, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
“Dear Tom M,
Thank you for your review and for visiting Northern Bay Resort! We expect to deliver 5-star conditions and experiences, and we are sorry that we did not deliver on our high standards. We would love the opportunity to discuss your experience in more detail and we hope to have an opportunity in the future to deliver a 5-star experience to you. Please contact General Manager Chris Goodwick at (608) 339 - 2090 at your earliest convenience.
Minnesota
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We rented a 2500 ft condo. Although there was some wasted hallway and stair space, the condo was very nice and up-to-date. The beds were comfortable . The kitchen was larger than the average condo kitchen and was well stocked. The condo was relatively clean, however they forgot to clean the kitchen floor, stock one of the bathrooms with soap and a couple of the towels were dirty. It was nice to have the washer/dryer to wash the towels. I'm sure that it is difficult for the staff to clean such a large condo. The pool water was warm. Although they have basketballs for the pool, they do not stock tennis rackets/ball because unfortunately someone rented them from the front desk but never returned them. The beach area is kept nice and clean. The front desk was friendly and helpful. The on-site restaurant had the worst service we have ever experienced.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Jayne S, Manager at Northern Bay Resort, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
“Dear MinnesotaRandy,
Thank you for your review and for visiting Northern Bay Resort! We expect to deliver 5-star experiences, and we are sorry that your experience at Northern Bay did not live up to our high standards. We would love the opportunity to discuss your experience in more detail and we hope to have an opportunity in the future to deliver a 5-star experience to you. Please contact me or Island View Restaurant General Manager Chris Goodwick at (608) 339 - 2090 xTBD at your earliest convenience.
Bensenville, Illinois
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We went there a year ago and fell in love with Northern Bay. It's has every thing right there. My husband loves the golfing and we girls love the lake and pool. Yes it is kind of a drag that the store for grocerys isn't closer but not a big deal. Love that you are out of the craziness of the dells yet close enough to go there if you so choose.

We are heading back there this year for my birthday with friends and I can't wait to return.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Portage, Wisconsin
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Great place, great food, great service. they all seem to care for you when you are there. The clubhouse entertainment is Viking DJ/Karaoke and they get the party going. Nice comfortable bar/dining area, lots of windows, very clean clubhouse. Heather is on top of her game in making sure everything is running perfectly. We would come back and eat and enjoy entertainment anytime.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arkdale
Best Western Park Oasis Inn
#1 of 2 in Friendship
Chula Vista Resort
Chula Vista Resort
#47 of 74 in Wisconsin Dells

Been to Northern Bay Resort? Share your experiences!