“Good but don't expect adventure.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Campo Grande
Lontra Pantanal Hotel
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I went to the panatanal tour on a group excursion organized by the famous Gill (I can't remember the name of his agency but you'll find him easily on the internet just looking for Gill and Panatanal). At the beginning I was skeptical because all the Internet talked about this Gill and I was afraid it was a very gringo thing. Well, I was wrong. Not only Gill is a great person who helped me as soon as I got to Campo Grande even if I hadn't reserved anything but he also offers the best price and the best service. All these pantanal tours are pretty much the same but the good thing of the Lontra Pantanal is that it is river based so all the activities are on the river that is the best thing. I talked with other guys that for the same price were in other pousadas and every time had to take a 30 min jeep ride before starting an activity.
In the price you'll also have all the meals and if you are traveling on a budget it is a good chance to eat good and a lot of food at the buffet restaurant!
The whole excursion is very relaxed. So if you expect some sort of tiring and adventurous thing in the wetland you'll be disappointed. The dorms are very clean and hotel like and between one activity and the other you'll have plenty of time to relax in your air con room ar in the beautiful garden in front of the river.
The facilities are good.
I expected it to be more interesting, adventurous and real. However you'll se amazing landscapes and a lot of wild life. My guide was terrible. He didn't say a word during three days.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Poleoi

Reviewed 11 March 2014

We spent 3 days in the Pantanal with Pantanal Discovery and had a great experience. The accommodation, facilities and meals at the Lontra exceeded our expectations. The activities were well organised and we couldnt have asked for anything more...plenty of wildlife.
Gil from Pantanal Discovery went above and beyond to ensure we had a good trip. He is passionate, flexible, responsive and genuine.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mattsack Attack x
Reviewed 23 February 2014

After visiting the Transpantaneira in the north of the Pantanal out of Cuiaba and staying in the over-charging and unfulfilling UESO Vittoria pousada for a few days, we flew to Campo Grande to do a 10 day bus hop organised by GREENTOADBUS.com.

We were met off the plane (important as little English is spoken in Brazil ) by the exuberant and most helpful GUS, and taken to a (complementary) hotel for the night, before being picked up and taken by comfortable minibus to LONTRA PANTANAL up the Parque Estrada, an hour NW of Miranda for a 3N stay. Bruno there made us most welcome, and right from go SANDRO, a local guy with excellent knowledge of English, animals and birds, got us on expeditions three or four times a day. This included, power boat up the river seeing Mccaws, giant otters, hundreds of caimen, capybara, herons, kingfishers etc. We canoed back down amongst these. Other boat trips included night spotting for jaguar (unsuccessful on our occasions, but sightings three trips per week were occurring.) We went on walks, on 4wd excursions deep up into the Pantanal, stopping every few hundred metres to another amazing bird or animal. We scored close-ups on Hyacinth McCaws, toucans, owls, jabiru, armadillo, and a cornucopia of other species, all pointed out by Sandro. We fished, caught and ate Piranha. We had good filling meals, and bought cold beers during and between each ripping adventure before 'time for the next one lads'!

All meals and activities were included. This place is amazing.

When time to leave, we were taken to the main road, then on to Bonito for a few days before bussing to Iguazu.

Greentoadbus chose well with this Lontra booking. We think it is particularly good for travelling single females, as there is comfort in the support and safety offered here.
Ian & Sue - Australia

Room Tip: We chose a private double ensuite, but shared rooms looked good also
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I recently did a 3 day/2 night trip to the Pantanal which was organised through Pantanal Discovery in Campo Grande. Gil from Pantanal discovery was very good, being quick to respond to my emails and providing me with all the necessary information regarding the trip. He also picked me up from my accommodation out in the suburbs on the day of the tour at no extra cost.

Unfortunately, Gil's service an professionalism is not matched by his partners at the Lontra Pantanal Hotel. It's not the hotel is bad, it's ok, but nothing special. The room are decent and well air conditioned, the meals are reasonable, and the location on the river is good (apart from there being a large concrete bridge about 200 metres away). I think the key downside of the hotel is the staff/guides and their lack of attention and overall indifference to clients. I was expecting a little more attention, more explanation and more professionalism from the staff/guides. I have travelled extensively in Brazil (23 out of 26 states) and lived in Brazil before, hence I am accustomed to the very casual approach that Brazilians have to things which can often come across as apathetic and lethargic to westerners. However as one does have to part with good money to visit the Pantanal I think it is reasonable to expect a little more from operators / hotels in this region.

I was particularly disappointed with our guide as there wasn't nearly enough explanation of the Pantanal's flora and fauna. I believe our guide had sufficient knowledge on these matters however it got tiring having to ask for greater explanation which should just be forthcoming from any truly professional an enthusiastic guide. It was almost as if they weren't completely interested, or perhaps the guide's imperfect English was an inhibiting factor. The guide was however an expert wild life spotter and we saw a good number of different species thanks to him so I don't want to be overly critical.

Overall, the rooms, food and location are the positive features of this hotel however the staff and guidance services need some further attention to make the experience an unforgettable one.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Andrew M
Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights and had a fun and adventurous few nights. Bruno was kind enough to arrange a lovely room with a view of the river. Sandro our guide for 2 days was helpful, knowledgeable and was really interesting. We went piranha fishing, canoeing on the river, boat tour on the river, river floating down the river, jeep safari and ecological walks. Also the staff made a huge effort to make vegetarian food for us which was greatly appreciated. We even saw a jaguar! Thanks for a fun couple of days.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank pjdlon
Reviewed 10 December 2013

We had an amazing experience in one ideally location by the river bank in the pantanal. The rooms are clear and spacious and the staff friendly and Bruno gave us good support in whatever we needed in our three day tour with Pantanal Discovery. The food is delicious and plentiful and we enjoyed the place very much swimming in the river and having a great conversation with the locals after the activities.. The organization of the tours were fantastic and Carlos, our guide, a revelation providing a good hosted insight of the flora and fauna of this beautiful area.
My personal highlight was seeing the family of otters in the red river, but catching piranhas and seeing hyacinth Macaws during the walking tour came very close. Recommended and good value.

Duncan, London

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank duncan l
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Me and my boy friend had an absolutely wonderful time in the Southern pantanal with pantanal discovery at Lontra lodge.
We luckily spotted the jaguar for more than 30 minutes from the boat on a night safari (photo).
The accommodation was great and the air con worked perfect during the three very hot days.
The food was extremely healthful and the traditional barbecue (photo) was delicious.
The whole people at the Lodge made our tour incredible good. The canoeing (photo) at the red river was spectacular and we could see otters, caymans, capybaras, the big bird (stork) flying over, the howler monkeys coming on the edge of the river to drink water cause of the heat maybe. We also took the car safari to a different area of the region where we done trekking tours inside of the jungle followed by Carlos, a knowledgeable guide that can spot any animal from a far distance.

We do advise any people to take this tour, don't think anything can go wrong with the organization at the Lodge.

Andy & Anna from UK