“I was Pleasantly Surprised by this Hotel”

Quality Hotel Afonso Pena
Ranked #7 of 118 Hotels in Belo Horizonte
London, United Kingdom
“I was Pleasantly Surprised by this Hotel”
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Expect the unexpected when doing business in Latin America, the same goes for hotels outside of the main cities. This was my first visit to BH, and whilst this is certainly not a 5* resort, the hotel was functional, clean, with quiet rooms and good service. Check in was pleasant, the staff really wanted to practise English and as a result I was allocated a room on the top floor with beautiful views over the city. The room is of medium size, with walk in shower but no bath tub. Towels are plentiful however note unless you leave them on your bed to be taken away, you will not receive clean ones. The only negative was the air con unit that was a little noisy. Free internet in the room is a plus.

Breakfast is included, buffet style with plenty of choice. Anything but black coffee seems to be more of a challenge however I did receive my cappuchino after a small wait, I appreciated the fact that the hotel tried hard to keep me happy.

Room Tip: Read the signs in the room and follow then if you want clean towels!!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank DeboraTravels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Czech first
Sao Paulo
Reviewed 11 August 2011

Very good hotel. Terrific!
I stayed here during 2 nights. Since the check in my stay was very very good. Specially the employees. I organized an event here in the hotel and the attencion of events coordinator during the event was wonderful, always ready to help everybody. I recomend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 1 June 2011

Great option for stay when you are in bh.

Cleaner, attention, everything is good.

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank vhmartins
Wichita, KS
Reviewed 27 March 2011

The hotel is very small but does still have a restaurant and small bar area. The rooms are very small. And, the bed was rock hard. I really had to look to see if there was even a mattress on the bed as it felt like I was sleeping on the box springs. The bathroom was nice and clean. Ther is a Mc Donalds right across the street. Also, this hotel (as most everything) was quite a ways from the airport and cost $92 (U.S.) for a cab ride. There is a bus for $16; however it stopped several blocks away leaving you to roll your luggage thr rest of the way to the hotel. I think the main reason I gave a three rating instead of four is due to the lack of english speaking staff. Ok, I understand I am in Brazil; however that is why I stay in a "western" hotel. The only english speaking staff was the check in staff. Trying to have breakfast in the morning was a challange. The price wasn't bad, especially when you consider how expensive Brazil is. If English isn't an issue then this hotel is not a bad option. I probably will not stay here the next time I'm in Belo.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank GT6
England
Reviewed 15 October 2007

We were a little unsure about booking this hotel, given that one of the previous two Trip Advisor reviews was "mixed". However, we were very pleasantly surprised during our vist there. The location is good, close to the city centre as well as Savassi. Not a flashy hotel, but modern and very good value. The rooms are modern and a reasonably good size. The air con works well and there's a good strong shower.

The hotel staff were always helpful and friendly. Room service was good and reasonably priced. There is an internet room (free), although some of the terminals were not working. Laundry service was good and not expensive by hotel standards. We had no problems with remote controls "chained" as described in other reviews. Also, we had no problems with dark corridors - yes, some lights were on movement sensors, but his never resulted in dark corridors.

Best of all was the very reasonable internet rate for the room, which made our stay excellent value for money. We'd definitely recommend it to others.

• Liked — Good honest value for money
  • Disliked — Restaurant lacked a bit of atmosphere
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank UKvisitor_7
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 13 January 2007

We stayed with a "Internet Users Rate" (directly booked) at the Quality Hotel Afonso Pena for one night during a stopover on our last day in Brazil.

First off, I'd recommend staying at this hotel only if you have more than a day to spend in Belo Horizonte. A straight cab ride from the main airport, Confins, is somewhere around an hour. If you go in a cab the fare will be approximately 80 reals. The "radio cab" kiosk in Confins airport appears to have a flat rate of 65 reals to get into the city and there's also a comfy looking bus as well (not sure where the bus ends up in B.H.). Cabs are always sitting outside the Quality Hotel lobby, so getting one shouldn't be a problem.

The hotel building is indeed very modern looking, inside and out. The front counter people were very nice and they provided a couple Portugese/English brochures for tourists at check-in time.

The decor of the room was pretty modern. The TV was huge. There was a DVD player in the room (not sure where one can get the DVDs from? maybe the front desk?).

You can open the windows in your room to air it out, if it smells slightly mildewy as ours did (this may have been a problem with the A/C unit).

There's an Italian restaurant attached to the hotel that appears to be relatively classy. We didn't try it out dinner here, tho. The breakfast buffet spread was "okay" by Brazil standards, nothing outstanding (scrambled eggs, cheese, watermelon, pineapple, breads, cereals).

Banks with international-able ATM machines are within a block of the hotel.

Negatives:

They gave us a choice of a room on the "high floors" or "low floors", so I chose a "high floor" room. When we exited onto the 17th floor, the hallway was *pitch black*. My wife was ready to turn right around and go back down to the lobby but I went out of the elevator and walked around the hallways for a few moments before the motion sensors picked up that there was a body in the hallway then the lights lit up. When the elevator opened up onto other floors I noticed some of them had the hallway lights turned on, so I am not sure if we just got put onto the lucky floor or what.

Air Conditioning and TV remote controls are literally tied with steel cables to each side of the bed.

The bathroom and amenities seemed really basic... shampoo, conditioner, soap, kleenex packet. That's it.

• Liked — a modern looking hotel
  • Disliked — it was somewhat creepy to us...
  • Tips/Secrets — make sure you're staying in BH for a few days before you consider boking here
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MichaelInSF
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 26 September 2006

I went to Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil and I was recomended to stay in this hotel by my travel agent. I was a little resistant because I don't "love" the Quality's Hotels here in US, but I accepted his sugestion and he wasn't wrong. The hotel is completely different that the ones that I stayed in US. It is a fancy hotel! I was so surprised when I got there and saw that wonderful building, in a great location and I have no problems about the language because the staff speaks English, what is not easy to find in Minas Gerais. The room is so big, so clean and they include a Huuuuuge breakfast buffet that was the best that I ever have.

That was a such great experience and I am definetely staying there again in my next visit to Belo Horizonte.

• Liked — Travek agent
  • Stayed May 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Luflorida