If you are considering staying at this hostel, stop now. There are few things you could do, during an entire lifetime, that could prove as disgusting as booking a room in Sorriso do Lagarto. I'm not qualified to talk about the Ouro Preto facilities, but qualifying the BH ones as 'merely' awful would be terribly unfair. As the other reviewer has said, don't stay there. Again: don't stay there.
But lets try to weight the pros and cons, and do some 'justice' to the entrepeneurial couple who runs the place (even thoug they only showed up once, during our stay).
- Location: its close to a mall (Pátio Savassi) and to part of BHs hippiest nightlife. Several bus stations nearby make moving around really easy.
- It Smells: terribly. And believe me, its not the sort of funny smell you can ignore - everything sort of smells like rotten, old, moldy crap. You probably wouldn't notice this till the first night of sleep, but after the forth you start wondering if that stink is clinging to your clothes as well.
- Beds: I'm being nice just by calling 'beds' the Salvation Army cushions we slept on. The 'beds' reeked, made funny noises when you laid on them to get some rest and presented a perennial threat to our lives (whoever was on the lower bed was left to wonder how long it was gonna take for the whole room to fall apart).
- Breakfast: if you've heard anything about the peculiar breads and pastries baked in Minas Gerais, forget about it. Old, stale bread, sour milk, watery coffee (which looked a lot more like tea than anything vaguely resembling coffee) greeted us as a miserable reminder of the terrible nights we had in this hostel.
Overall Impressions: noisy, small, smelly, disgusting - you don't want to stay there. I'm glad I survived.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld so you can book your O Sorriso do Lagarto Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- O Sorriso Do Lagarto Hostel Belo Horizonte, Brazil