“You have landed at your quirky aunts house, but it's a good thing!”
Review of Pouso do Chico Rei

and 1 more site!
Pouso do Chico Rei
Ranked #41 of 91 Ouro Preto B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 December 2013

It's home! Full of a rich history of writers - Elizabeth Bishop, Pablo Neruda, Jorge Amado. Plus Vinicius de Moraes, henry Kissinger... Every room is styled differently, a large salon to read or watch a film. Pleasant breakfast. Off the main tourist streets and tranquil. A poodle that keeps watch on the window sill amd a terrier type that cuddles on a chair in the office. Overall, just what I wanted.

Room Tip: Choose a room with bath.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank brasilboy

Reviewed 8 September 2013

Very good value for money, Its like staying with a family and you feel at home. The first night I stayed in the smallest room which was the only one available at the time, had to share the bathroom which was OK for just one night. But quite noisy too, you heard neighbours and located just above the main entrance (you have to ring to get in). Thereafter I moved to their best room (8?) which is separared from the main building, its large and has a small terrace with a great view so you can just relax outside after all sightseeing. It was worth the additional Reais! Breakfast is good as almost everywhere in Brazil. Lots of magazines everywhere and you can have coffee and tea during the day. Recommended.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Yvonne N
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

I am still chocked and trying hard to understand why all French reviews of this hotel were so positive. After staying in very charming and genuine places all over the French countryside I was expecting something similar. Unfortunately we've found a very amateur staff and owner, expensive priced and lack of kindness. After arriving in an old creepy and freezing room, located beside the hotel kitchen (literally), even though we have booked long in advance the parking place was not available. The day after, when we finally had a place to leave the car (after taking all our luggage, etc), we were woken up at 8:30 because someone needed to take the car out and there was nobody able to drive a car in the hotel staff at that very moment! Unbelievable! After that terrible experience, I've checked other options in the city and there were many better hotels available with similar and even lower rates! Since I had only one more night in Ouro Preto and wasn't in the mood to face the inexperienced staff to explain the situation, we decided to stay. Again: I've mentioned to the place owner we were leaving early and that we needed something to eat before taking the road back to BH where we should take the plane. Nobody was waiting for us in the morning and the only person we've met just wanted to be sure we were not leaving without paying the bill. Oh, almost forgot to mention - it's just a detail after all - the toilet didn't work well and the room was stinky (urine) when we arrived. Paying 100 euros a day for that is really unbelievable.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank MarinaSouza
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I stayed there in July with my wife and her mom. We found the location ideal and the staff very helpful. They have offstreet parking in their small courtyard that was much appreciated. Breakfast was very good and I especially liked the coconut covered puffs. Very good view out our window at a church on the hill.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank PatricioNewYork
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Ouro Preto is one of the most charming villages in Brazil and no trip to this country is complete without walking along is narrow streets. It is not only a beautiful rural setting but also a place where the story of the slaves and gold diggers speaks for itself.
With this in my mind I must say I chose the “Pouso do Chico Rei” because it seemed to be a beautiful rural house capturing the charm of the place and comments on Tripadvisor were also enthusiastic. How wrong can you get... It is in fact an old building in the center of town, very close to all the interesting spots, with nice decoration on the common areas. But this is all the charm you get.
They initially put me on the room I had booked (Burle Marx room). It was small with tiny beds and very, very old bathroom. After 5 minutes they came and asked me to move to another room because there was a problem on the bathroom. So I was given the Pablo Neruda room. Much bigger than the previous one and with lovely views but also with small uncomfortable beds and very used bed sheets. The rest of furniture was not antique but old. But the real nightmare was the bathroom. I have no words to describe it but you can judge yourself by the pictures. I could not get a hot bath on the morning, of course. Breakfast was good, with enough and fresh food.
Pouso do Chico Rei was a true disappointment. There are no excuses for such poor room maintenance and they definitely need to do urgent renovations. I stayed in classic pousadas before (not only in Brazil) but this one is old and decrepit, not antique. A huge difference.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank Ullises
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I was looking forward to staying here after the other reviews. I was very very disapointed in the service and the house itself. Breakfast was fine, same as everywhere else. Nice touch with cup of tea in the afternoon with cake.

But the room, when we stayed in June, was FREEZING. Cannot stress that enough. There was option to rent a heater which I thought was the most bizarre thing ever. Didn't take it up as electrics seemed dodgy enough without the strain of a heater, everytime the fridge came on, the lights flickered.

Also the room wasn't made up or cleaned or clean towels put in on the first day, or toilet bin emptied, was very surprised because everywhere else we have stayed was kept very well. Given the price expected clean towels and bed made at the very least, Asked on the second day to have the room cleaned and it was and the towels were changed as we asked for that.

Don't get me wrong, I love quaint, rickety, old fashioned all of that but I think the misery of coming back to a freezing room wit no bed made or clean towels and a damp room that was too much !

There wasn't much staff presence.

Water in shower was hot but the tv didn't work.

The main issue that we had was that we had a flight to catch, and given the mainfestacao we were recommended to leave earlier than originally planned. We had booked the transfer with the manager, this had been booked ages before and was re confirmed the first day that we arrived, regrettably there was a big mess, when we got up early in the morning, the porter rang the company, and the taxi arrived, and brought us to the bus station, tried to explain it was to the airport in belo Horizonte, he was upset, Nd eventually brought us back to the pousada, We then had to try and explains to the porter, who ordered us another taxi and agreed with me, and even wrote it down, 300 reais, which was same as our journey there, When the taxi man arrive he showed us the official book which was. 430 reais. As time was ticking away we were in a complete bind not wanting to miss our flight, so we paid up, and had to payoff the other taxi driver for driving us around, I was totally hacked off by the whole experience. To top it all there wasn't even a bit of breakfast, there was some cake form night before which we had and a cold cup of tea as the water in flask was gone cold.

Very disappointed. Had hoped that the manager would even email to apologise but that didn't happen, so hence my negative review.

Appreciate it was off Season, but nonetheless if you are open for business and taking money the basics should apply. It has been the only bad experience of our trip so far.

Would not recommend,

Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Lizzielee24
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend and my mom and we loved this pousada, which is really a big old house. We stayed in rooms 8 and 3 and they were great and full of character. All the furniture is antiques because everything really is that old, so yes, everything is pretty creaky but nothing was falling apart and they bathrooms were more modern than I expected. We loved that each room was named after a famous person who had stayed there, and we had a fun night hanging around in the common room upstairs watching a movie. One night we came back late and ended up sharing a wine with one of the owners or employees and a guest from Thailand, it was great conversation. The location is perfect - right near the Praça Tiradentes but on a quieter back street. Each room has its own different and fascinating view. I loved Ouro Preto so much and hope to go back - when I do, I will definitely stay at Chico Rei!!

Room Tip: Study the options on their website well to find what is best for you - there are options with lots o...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family