“disappointed” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Ashland
Janesville
“disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

We had a two night stay and feel cheated. We love the Ashland area and were there for business and a family wedding. It was so hot but really looked forward to coming to hotel after a long day to relax in hot tub which was broken... no action as to getting it fixed. the indoor pool was very cold also so did use that after about 10 min of being in the pool. When I asked the manager about the issues he made lot of excuses about it was a holiday weekend/ no one could come to fix it, they just spent 900.00 to replace the pools heater and it is kept at 86 degrees. Are you kidding me? !! No apology, offer to upgrade..nothing. Lousy customer service! Our room smelled musty and refrig was barely cool. Very disappointed and will not stay there again..mostly because of the management.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Deanna D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Oak Creek, Wisconsin, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

I am a travel agent who purposely booked a room overlooking lake Superior with a balcony on the 4th of July for a nice vacation. What I received was anything but....

The room we received, opened up to the pool and broken hot tub, where on the other side of the pool area, through the floor to ceiling windows, you could see glimpses of the lake.

When I went back down to inquire about the wrong room, I was told someone else had an issue with their room, so they gave them my room instead. To rectify the situation, the front desk clerk said she would give me the "corporate rate" (which I had already booked and paid for using the business credit card), changing my room rate from $119.99/night to $69.99/night.... the same $69.99 rate that I originally BOOKED and had on my itinerary. I showed that to the front desk clerk, and was told there was nothing more they could do for me.

The evening desk clerk even mentioned how the hot tub has been broken for more than a week, and no one bothers to fix it, but the next morning, the morning desk clerk tried to say that it just happened the day before we arrived, and they hadn't had a chance to fix it yet. Hmmmmm.... may want to get your stories straight for your guests.

While standing at the front desk that night and the next morning, I spoke with three separate guests who said they booked their reservations on "www.hotels.com", and had the same problem with their room rates and needed to have the front desk adjust their rates as well. I told them to book with a travel agent the next time they need a hotel room.

I wrote to the GM about my issues, but as of yet, have not heard back from him, even though I know he has been in the office since then.

The rooms were old, run down, outdated furniture and tv, and damp. The room smelled like must and could tell it was in need of an upgrade.

The only bright spot to the entire stay, was the restaurant across the parking lot. The food was good, and the service was EXCELLENT! If only the Ashland Lake Superior Lodge took notice of how to treat guests.

Room Tip: If you request a "lake view" room, be prepared for overgrown weeds and trees to block your...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank Mike E
Reedsburg, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

We stayed at the lodge to relax and sight see around Bayfield, etc. We loved the balcony and lake view, the café was very nice and the restaurant right next door was very good. The facility could use an update but overall, we felt it was a great value and would definitely stay there again

Room Tip: request a lake view room for nice view and balcony
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank gramding
Freeport, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

When returning on the ferry from Madeline Island, my husband and I both received voice messages from a number we did not know. It turned out to be from the hotel we were staying at. So when I talked to the lady who had called, I was totally shocked to find out that they had our belongings at the front desk. When we had checked in the night before, a lady was kind enough to change our 2nd night of stay to the same hotel room we were staying in the first night, but that ended up evidently not getting documented right or miscommunication one. Anyway, by the time I was able to call her back, since I did not have phone reception on the island, the situation had been solved, and our belongings had been placed back into the room we were staying in.

So all in all, it is a very nice hotel. We had a balcony with lake view, but were not in the room long enough to really enjoy it as we were out sightseeing.

The hotel is a little ways from the town of Ashland on the lake and if I were to stay in Ashland again, I would stay in one of the hotels right on the lake where the main part of town is.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Waukesha, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

We loved location but thought the rooms would be more updated. The shower was broken. The tv was an old as well as the decor. It was overpriced. There r other hotels in the area for much less per night and updated accomodations.

• Stayed June 2013
Fulton, MI, USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

Started with the price and kept going downhill. Looked at their site on line and price was $114.99. Got to the hotel and it was $129.99, their answer, "Manager must not have updated web site". Looked at a room seemed OK so booked as it is next to our favorite restaurant in Ashland. Reading the reviews it sounds like some rooms have been upgraded, not ours, TV was old and picture fuzzy, stains on rug, and obvious they were trying to mask some odor, dehumidifier running in room. Internet really needs upgrading, only have wireless in the lobby and ethernet cord available for the room, which does not work with tablets. And there are not enough outlets in the room to charge stuff. Bedding was clean, mattress mushy. We were poolside on second floor and room was too warm even with small window open & fan going. Staff cordial but hard to find sometimes, like when I went to check out. And no complimentary breakfast really takes it off our list when comparing to others in the area. Looks nice from the outside and has a lot of potential but unless they do something major will not stay again and we are through here twice a year.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Helen N
Eagle River
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

It is hard to do a bad review because my favorite place is Ashland Wi but this place was so bad I just have to. The room was extremely grungy,The grounds was really a mess Dandelions and needed mowing. We had no view of the lake. Only way to see it was to stand and lean way out the window or face the bugs in the yard. When I told them I was upset by the smell and condition of the room the girl said oh so sorry. We planned to stay 4 nights but only could stand the mildew smell for 2. Obviously we will not be back to this hotel ever.

Room Tip: there isn't one
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LiaTerrier
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashland
BEST WESTERN The Hotel Chequamegon
Old Rittenhouse Inn
Old Rittenhouse Inn
#1 of 15 in Bayfield
Lucy's Place Bed and Breakfast

Been to Quality Inn Ashland? Share your experiences!