“Good view of lake, but...”

Quality Inn Ashland
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Ashland
Wisconsin
“Good view of lake, but...”
Reviewed 9 August 2006

We stayed @ the Lake Superior Lodge (BW) July 2006 for 2 days. We had a great view from our hotel room. We paid $119 a night and there was NO continental breakfast included in this price. We had to walk around the hotel to get to the pool which wasn't the most conveneient. We went outside the hotel in the back patio area our first night to "relax" and all we could hear was the traffic from in front of the hotel. We had to exchange our hotel key cards because they both quit working and the lady @ the desk rudely said to my husband,"Well if you took care of them properly we wouldn't have to give you new ones"-like it was our fault they didn't work. Also, there is no beach to walk on behind the hotel, just a "swamp" area with a bunch of weeds.If we happen to come to the area again we will be staying @ the AmericINN because we went inside to check it out while in the area and it was very nice and it had a beach to walk on, continental breakfast, unlimited cappucino,waterpark,internet computer in lobby,gameroom,etc..anyways.. We were expecting alot more for $119 a night @ the Lake Superior Lodge.

• Liked — View and the pool
  • Disliked — Price and traffic noise
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
3 Thank speedeetee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Reviewed 9 February 2005

We stayed here for 2 nights and had a BLAST! All staff we encountered was very nice, and I felt very welcome! The pool was fun. the rooms were always clean. And we took food from the breakfast area to our room right in front of "that woman", and she smiled and told us to have a nice day. How is that being rude??? We paid 89.00 each night, and we felt we got out moneys worth.

2 Thank teleholic
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 June 2004

I have stayed in hotels all over the world and I would rate this one close to the last stop inns on the highway. It was a holiday weekend so i slept in late. My mother could not bring me a bagel or some toast to my room. "You must eat down stairs." The next day, "down stairs" durring breakfest, we got the pleasure of listening to the owners belittle their employes. After that I watched in horror as my friends were swimming and the owner came out and tested the pool and added chemicals while they swam. Being that pool hours were only 9am to 10 pm I think this could have been done durring the closed time. The fact is they are to be worring about our convenience not their own. When you pay over 100 for a room you expect to be treated with a little more respect than staying at the "Y". When they cleaned the rooms they left trash on the tables and floor. And the sheats were not fitted and didn't even cover the whole bed. Check out time was 11:00 am, what happened to noon or maybe one. I was down stairs waiting for the rest of my party when i heard the owner sharply saying they were waiting for room 237 to leave. They were mad that it wasn't clean yet. It was 10:40 so i went upstairs to help out and there was the made standing right in front of the door. He had to move to let me back in my room. Talk about feeling welcome. You must escuse me if I expect more then just a bed to sleep in from a hotel. I expect to be caterd to. If Burger-King can do it my way. I want a little more form my hotel. It is ok if it were 50 dollars or so. But you can pay that at many other hotels and feel like they wanted you there.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, General Manager at Quality Inn Ashland, responded to this review, 4 February 2006
Please do not make your decision or rate our new hotel based on the past terrible experiences that customers man have had with the previous owners and managers of the hotel. They no longer own or are affiliated with the property and based on past reviews I can understand why.

The Lake Superior Lodge was acquired by new owners in 2005 and closed for almost one year while it was being rebuilt and remodeled. We have reopened in 2006. The lodge, pool and cafe was completely rebuilt and refurnished and everything is new. Our recent property inspection from Best Western received the Best Western Director's Award for excellence. Our new owners, new General Manger who is a Certified Hotel Administrator (CHA) and award winning housekeeping and maintenance staff promise you a most pleasant and worry free visit. We are located directly on the shores of Lake Superior and are very proud of our new hotel and staff. Please join us and enjoy our distinctive accommodations, new facilities and excellent food. We promise that we will make every effort to insure that you will not be disappointed.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 June 2004

I was very displeased with the service at this establishment. On their web site it boasted of friendly staff/service. The woman who was maintaining the continental breakfast (which was very limited) was rude to guests and when asked for a tray she stated that everyone had to have their breakfast downstairs and not in their rooms. Also, when asked for a booster chair for a small child she stated the baby was too small and the guest could not have one, then proceeded to walk away. I later found out this woman was one of the owners. The pool hours were posted from 9am-10pm. While my family and I were using the pool and whirlpool at 9:30am, a genlteman came in and proceeded to check water, add water to pool and add chemicals while my family and I were in the pool and whirlpool. This happened 2 mornings in a row. I felt very uncomfortable and felt that these housekeeping tasks could've been done before 9:00am. I also found out later that this gentleman was the other owner. When we checked out, this couple were literally waiting by our doors to clean them, also making me very uncomfortable. The only friendly and helpful staff we found were Pat and Bob. Also, the rate we paid was much higher than the website stated. $109 vs $69. Too much money for this level of service and accomodations. The vending machines had outdated products in them and the chips were premarked with .30 and the vending machine cost .75. Over 100% mark up on outdated goods. Our room wasn't cleaned very well with large puddles of water (or some clear liquid) on the nightstands and there weren't fitted sheets for the mattresses so a person ended up sleeping on bare mattress during the night (yuck).

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashland
Best Western The Hotel Chequamegon
Old Rittenhouse Inn
Old Rittenhouse Inn
#1 of 15 in Bayfield
Lucy's Place Bed and Breakfast

Been to Quality Inn Ashland? Share your experiences!