“Nice hotel to stay at - with couple of caveats”

BEST WESTERN The Hotel Chequamegon
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Ashland
“Nice hotel to stay at - with couple of caveats”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel this past weekend for 2 nights. The staff is absolutely wonderful and so accommodating and attentive. Very nice touch to have coffee and cookies always available in the lobby - we appreciated taking a cup of coffee to enjoy on the deck in the evening. The hotel room was clean, the beds comfortable, the pillows good and there was a nice TV. The space was just a little tight - very small bathroom but functional, and we would have liked to have had a small table and chairs vs. the large armoire in our room (who fully unpacks to use those anyways?). The continental breakfast both days was great (quite a variety of food...from eggs to cereal, fruit, yogurt, bagels, pancakes, etc.) and the small dining room very nice - one of the better spaces we've seen in a hotel for complementary breakfasts. Just a few suggestions for the hotel: one of the windows in our room would not open which turned out to not be a big deal as we ended up using the A/C due to hot weather, but we did then notice that the windows and sills really need some cleaning. Also the window A/C unit is very loud, to the point that we turned it off for a time so that we could hear the TV without having the TV volume blasting (and we did have the A/C on "low!"). The two public deck spaces are awesome and so nice to spend time on, but they do need a little TLC (cleaning and re-painting) -- and the plastic furniture on the one deck really needs to be replaced with something better. We thought the pricing for the room was a bit high, but it is the summer season so we take that into consideration and we also take into account the free continental breakfast, thus, this is a nice hotel property to stay at and I would even say probably the best in Ashland.

Room Tip: Definitely stay in a upper floor lake view room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelChequamegonGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN The Hotel Chequamegon, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
I am very happy you found your stay pleasing! I will take all of your recommendations into account, so hopefully we can improve on them! I do hope you choose to stay with us again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Ashland, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

I had a great experience staying here. The staff was very friendly and ready to help with anything that I needed. The room was very clean and comfortable. Although I didn't have time to enjoy the pool I was able to stop by and see how nice it was. I liked that they had notices of activities in the area. Stores for shoping were within walking distance and there was a varity of choices for dining.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

I am very happy to hear that you had such a great experience here with us! As you mentioned our hotel is in a great location! Close to the downtown as well as right on the waterfront. So I'm glad you like that convenience. Please do come stay with us again!
Peshtigo, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Very nice stay, reminded me of the MI Mac Island Grand Hotel. I travel for business and really like those small touches like having a cleaned remote and a choice of firm and soft pillows, which is what Hotel Chegqumegon offers.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Here at BW Hotel Chequamegon we try our best keep everything pristine and better than par! So, I am very happy you had such a wonderful stay! I hope you choose us again when traveling!
Eau Claire, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

We were very pleased with the hotel and staff. The free breakfast buffet wasn't bad. They had omelets, fresh pancakes, and sausage for hot items. It met our needs. The view from the back, overlooking the lake is worth asking for. The beds are firm, but didn't affect our sleep. Eventhough our reservation was messed up by not keeping our room next to our traveling companions, the staff at least changed the rooms around so we were on the same floor.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

I find our staff very helpful and personable as well and I am glad you thought the same! Overall, I am glad you found our accommodations pleasing and i do hope you choose us again!
North Bend, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

grand looking building inside and out and located right on the water. we had a first floor room - with a 'water view' which wasn't great. better views from the 2nd and 3rd floors.

the tallest ceilings i've ever seen in a hotel room - interesting - but the room was furnished with all the amenities and the staff was prompt in bringing more pillows when we asked. my only complaint about the pillows was that they were all the same firmness/thickness. (& they were too fat and firm for us) (we're used to a different hotel chain that offers a choice on the bed of soft,firm,thick,thin pillows)

2 sinks in the room were nice, but the 2nd didn't have an electrical outlet (for a hair dryer). glad i had my extension cord as there weren't many outlets for ipads, phones, camera batteries, etc…

the hotel is right on the highway just a block off main street, so you can walk easily to see the big murals the town is known for...

Room Tip: try for the 3rd floor, water view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
I am sorry you weren't pleased with the hotel room completely but I am glad you found our hotel convenient and pleasant! Our location is a great attribute to the hotel! I do hope you choose us again!
Pardeeville, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

I was very pleasantly surprised at my most recent stay for business. I felt that it was a very clean, very nice room at an excellent price. Great amenities in my economy room, including a refrigerator, coffee maker, and microwave. Lovely setting and beautiful views of the lake. Very quiet at night, the staff was very attentive and courteous.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

I am pleased you found your stay to be so excellent! I thank you for your business, and do hope you stay with us again!
Knife River, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

The Chequamegon Hotel is quite comfortable! The food is excellent; I particularly recommend the fresh Lake Superior Whitefish or the Whitefish Fingers. The lakewalk/bike trail is great; the downtown is quaint and close to the hotel. Check out the murals throughout downtown. two fabulous coffee houses close by. If you get bored at night, check out the BAY THEATER or just go sit down by the lake!

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

I am so happy you found your stay to be so great! Our whitefish is one of our bestsellers as it is brought in fresh every morning! So I am glad you got to experience it! In addition, as you mentioned our location is one of a kind and close to just about everything which is very nice! So it is fabulous you got to see and use all of the different attractions! I do hope you come see us again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashland
AmericInn Ashland
Old Rittenhouse Inn
Old Rittenhouse Inn
#1 of 15 in Bayfield
Lucy's Place Bed and Breakfast

Been to BEST WESTERN The Hotel Chequamegon? Share your experiences!