“For A Roadside It's Pretty Dang Good”
Review of Crest Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ashland
Crest Motel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Ashland
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“For A Roadside It's Pretty Dang Good”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Took a ride on the motorcycle to Ashland Wisconsin. I had seen the reviews for the Crest Motel so we gave it a try. It's family owned and operated for 39 years. It's clean, has comfortable beds, bathroom is clean and has a great view of the lake. They have cable TV, A/C (wall mounted) small coffee maker, fridg and small microwave.
It's obviously well kept and maintained. If you have a lot of clothes you will have to make due with just using the pegs on the wall, there is no closet. Also bring your shampoo they do not provide any. Just hotel bars of soap. The room was very quiet, it's not too far from the road but you don't get any road noise. You are close to downtown Ashland. There are several benches on the yard out front, it would be nice to have them more in the shade though. Overall a very good place to spend a night or two.

Room Tip: Every room seems to be about the same.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank lpeck93

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed for just one Friday night for a brief trip to Ashland. My room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and the night was very quiet, even with the motel being on the main road into town. The room included a mini frig and microwave-always nice to have when traveling. The shower was piercing with great pressure. It actually hurt but some might enjoy that kind of shower. The room had a slight musty odor and the bed spread was worn with a small hole in it. Given the cost and clean environment, I would easily stay again. The minor downsides were not enough to justify a poor rating. I wasn't looking for a 5 star hotel-just a decent, clean, and friendly place to rest. By the way, all rooms have a great view of Lake Superior and there are lounge chairs on the lawn to enjoy the sunset. That alone was worth the cost! (Remember to bring your own hairdryer.)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Cindy B
New Lisbon, Wisconsin
Reviewed 11 May 2014

At first glance this appears to be a typical roadside motel, but looking closer it's much more than that. The buildings and grounds are well kept and very clean. The owners take great pride in taking care of everything and they are some of the friendliest people you can meet, very down to Earth!

Every room has internet service (seemed quite fast as I had no problems streaming videos from VUDU.com). They also have a flat screen TV, small refrigerator, and microwave.

My wife and I both found the bed to be very comfortable and the pillows were nice and full, we got a really good nights sleep.

Every room there has a view of Lake Superior, just across the road. While the beauty of the Lake was somewhat offset by the power plant, we still found it relaxing and the sunset was gorgeous (see attached picture).

The bathroom was immaculate, everything was nice and clean and the towels were soft and thick.

Our room (as mentioned by another reviewer) did have a slight odor to it, but we did not find it offensive. It smelled somewhat like an older building or a Museum. If this kind of odor offends you, bring a can of room deodorizer.

For the price, you simply cannot beat this Motel. It's family and pet friendly, it is also close to the downtown area and Hugo's Pizza/Restaurant (delivery is available) is just a short walk away. There are benches out front and a picnic table on their expansive manicured front lawn so you can sit and enjoy the sights.

Final Thought - I am a veteran, and I take great pride in our country and its flag. When dusk came the evening we stayed, the owners Daughter went to the flagpole out front to take the flag down. I watched closely to see how she would handle it. She did a superb job, she lowered it slowly and made absolutely sure it did not touch the ground. This says a lot about the family and their attention to detail.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Steve F
Oxford, Wisconsin
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I have stayed here for years. I come to Ashland to Ice Fish and it is close to my launching points. Its nice to haul your gear right in the door to thaw before the next day. Its clean and comfortable and the owners are very nice people. I have taken groups here and summer or winter, its my go to place for fishing trips. Its priced right and they have rooms that allow dogs. Can't beat it for the price.

Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Barb C
Shelbyville, Kentucky
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We stayed at the Crest Motel in August. It's clean, comfortable and priced right. And the view can't be beat. We would gladly stay here again. We especially enjoyed the wide front lawn with the tables out under the tall pines.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Debra G
NY
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We were on a week long road trip thru Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan and did not have reservations any place. We stopped in the Crest Motel for the evening since we noticed a well maintained exterior and well manicured lawn. When we walked in, the owner stated she only had 2 rooms left-this is a good sign on a Monday night. I asked if I could see the room first. The rate was only $55/night and the room was very clean and decorated very nice and simple. This place reminds me of the places I use to stay in during the late 60's. The owner is very friendly and helpful. I would not hesitate to stay here again and I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NyLbn
Reedsburg, Wisconsin
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We have stayed at the Crest each time we visit Ashland. The room is simple, clean, neat, no frills. It is a great place to rest up while busy out and about during the day. In the evening and in the morning it is quite pleasant to walk over to the numerous benches and sip your beverage of choice. We always have a good experience when we stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank inmyloft
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashland
Super 8 Ashland
#2 of 2 in Washburn
Old Rittenhouse Inn
Old Rittenhouse Inn
#1 of 16 in Bayfield

Been to Crest Motel? Share your experiences!