“Nice Hotel - Good Location - Helpful Staff”

Viale Cataratas Hotel
Ranked #31 of 78 Hotels in Foz do Iguacu
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nice Hotel - Good Location - Helpful Staff”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Stayed here Aug. 18-20, 2014. Very nice hotel in a good location for accessing the Brazil side of the falls. There is a taxi stand across the street and a large tourist info center next door. The rooms are clean and comfortable and include a safe (electronic password, not a key system). The hotel pool area is great and the free breakfast offers an excellent variety of hot and cold items as well as an omelette station. Had dinner in the hotel restaurant and it was also delicious. The menu is fixed price for 3 courses. There is a tour desk in the lobby that was very helpful. Staff was also nice and booked a dinner reservation for us. One of the staff (think her name is Diana) spoke excellent English. On site gift shop offers a lot of variety. Only had 2 minor complaints; (1) our room on the lobby level only had 2 power outlets and (2) despite a sign at the front desk stating that multiple devices from the same room could be connected to the hotel wifi using one password, that was not the case. However the front desk willingly gave us a second wifi code for our room so that solved the problem.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jennifer Z

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

The lobby is beautiful and most of the people working the front desk are friendly. We did not use the pool or the gym, they are available and the pool looked lovely. Breakfasts were plentiful, and even on a strict diet, I was able to find plenty to eat. They even had yogurt without sugar, which I appreciated. The restaurant staff was wonderful. One night when I was feeling ill, they made me chicken soup.

Up in the room, 209, we had two separate beds that were the most comfortable that I have had in my travels. The highly polished wood floor was clean, bright, and so very comfortable to walk on.. The room however had practically no storage space, the bathroom had no storage space, the closet was miniscule. The safe did work. The bathroom however had tiny ants crawling up the walls, in the sink, and on the counter. And the exterior hallway had a lovely stone floor, but there was nothing to muffle the sound of people walking, talking, or children yelling in the hallway.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank eurovicki
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Good sized rooms, well appointed. Very pleasant to sit outside of an evening near the pool and have a drink with friends. Some confusion with our bill - receipts not processed when we came to pay our bill, then not all correct. The hotel gift shop had very reasonably priced items - T shirts, jewellery etc. Great location as a base to visit both sides of the Iguazo Falls.

Room Tip: As the hotel is set back a little from the road I think all rooms would be quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 February 2014

This hotel has a lot to offer: a nice pool, good breakfast, a play room, sauna, a couple of small shops, etc. My average rating has to do with the poor service I got from the front desk (which is very unlike Brazil), even when dealing with different staff. First, I called from my room to ask for the WiFi password, which they wouldn't give me unless I came downstairs to retrieve it in person. Secondly, I asked to check out and settle my account very early in the morning, so my dad, who was leaving a little later, wouldn't have to worry about it or pay anything. They wouldn't do it, insisting the last person to leave the room had to do the transaction. I asked them to make an exception, but they would not. It was as if I was not at all welcome at their hotel, and they were doing me a favor by even listening to me. The air conditioner didn't work well either. It was turned on to the max all day and night, but it barely made a difference. There were a couple of times during the weekend when we lost power as well. The room was also very small. The pool is nice, but nobody came by to wait on us, though other guests were being served at the pool. All in all, it was a lukewarm experience. I expected much more given the price I paid and the nice pictures on the hotel website.

Room Tip: Ask for a room where the AC unit actually works!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Jordanjc21
Joinville, SC
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Nice hotel. A few minutes from Argentina, where you can find good restaurants, and not so far from Paraguay, where you can buy cheap things. At the hotel you have some facilities as tours to go to Iguaçu waterfalls, with a variety of activities. The breakfast is one of the best in this city. The hall is huge but simple. The rooms are comfortable and simple too, with TV, bar, and safe. Has 2 pools, but when I was there, one of them was in repair. The staff are very kind. At the bar you have a good selection of drinks and at the restaurant, good meals. I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2013

First stop on our honeymoon - we were very impressed! Beautiful and very clean. Food and service in the restaurant at breakfast was top class as was the spread of food. We chose to eat here for supper and the quality of the food and service was excellent once again and it was reasonably priced as well. Our room faced the front but it didn't matter as we didn't spend a lot of time in it. The room was very clean, modern and comfortable. It was cleaned everyday. Staff at reception were very helpful indeed. Not all spoke English however I was able to speak pigeon Portuguese and Spanish and so between us we communicated effectively. I do not see this as a problem as I believe as travellers we should make the effort to try and speak the language of the country we are visiting. We really couldn't fault this hotel in any way. It was located very close to the falls and our 3 day tour guide (which I highly recommend) had us at the Falls in no time. We were also the only people at the pool! It was winter for the locals but for us Scots, high 20s/early 30s is our summer!
We would definitely go back and highly recommend this hotel!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank FMacDonald30
Canada
Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel as booked by South America tours for our trip to the Iguassu Falls. Everything was good: rooms clean & spacious, breakfast selection is excellent, staff was so helpful even if English was a struggle, food in the cafe & the restaurant is delicious & affordable. Location is also good: close to the Brazilian side of the Falls, souvenir shop on site and beside it, many restaurants close by that offer cultural shows and churrascaria, also close to downtown. An added bonus is we requested for a masseuse. She came in our room and provided one of the best massage we have experienced. Will I recommend this hotel to my friends? Definitely!

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family