“Within walking distance to entrance of iguazu falls and very big hotel”

Canzi Cataratas Hotel
Ranked #46 of 80 Hotels in Foz do Iguacu
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Since I am a single, white female in her late 20's, I wanted to write a review about this hotel b/c they were very helpful.

First off, this is a large hotel, big rooms, and hot water (which is a plus when traveling overseas, especially to South America). The hotel staff were very nice, and there was always at least 1 person on staff that could translate for you (you just have to be patient). I do not know any portuguese (except bom dia, como vai, and etc). When my tv didnt work and the hot water wouldnt turn on, they were very helpful and fixed the issue for me.

Also, breakfast spread of french breads, ham, cheese, cheese breads, juices, eggs, and may different types of cakes/yogurts; I was impressed.

YES, this is in walking distance to the entrance to the park (and I think its the closest hotel to there, except for the resort right up the road which you will walk by, and the cataratas hotel in the park $$$$).

I do not recommend going to the town of foz do iguassu b/c there is nothing there, It was about at 50$ reais taxi charge to get there, and I got lost multiple times b/c restaurants I looked on trip advisor were closed (for good).

To say the least, I was impressed; yes, the hotel is very quiet, and if you go by yourself and you dont speak portuguese, it's kind of lonely; but since it's soo cheap and the falls and bird park are AMAZING; it is worth it staying at Cataratas hotel.

--And yes, this was written by an American. So anyone can see it!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Brittany W
ThaisBueno, Sub-Gerente at Canzi Cataratas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2014

Hi,

Thank you for your information, will be of great value to other guests

Reviewed 31 January 2014

Initially we booked a 4 * hotel in the city center. Then we thought.
We only had 3 nights. Arrive on the evening of Rio in Foz de Iguacu, one day at Iguacu Falls in Brazil, then a day trip to the Iguazu Falls in Argentina. Morning fly back to Rio.
Why do we need a hotel in the city? We changed the reservation and decided to settle in this hotel, which is near the Iguacu Falls .

I have to say: this is a budget hotel and wait for any excesses is not necessary.
The main advantage of the hotel - perfect location: National Park Iguacu Falls to go up to 10 minutes ( about 500 meters). Bird Park is even closer. Bus stop in the city (and back) is almost opposite the hotel: 3 minutes by walk. With dinner you will not have any problems: boarded the shuttle bus and about 30 minutes later you're in town. There are many decent restaurants.
Now about the hotel. The rooms are very simple. Not even a refrigerator. Sometimes Blackouts. For one hour or more. Therefore, I advise always charge your gadgets while you are in the hotel and having electricity. Breakfast is very simple, but you will not hungry.
Staff hardly speaks in English. They basically do not know what is a waterfall (fall and waterfall). Better talk Cataratas. Only one woman at the reception we were able to explain. One more time: the staff does not speak English, but will gladly offer you dine in a very expensive Churrascaria ( restaurant). Even promised free transfer. Think before you agree. Simply take a bus or a taxi and go to town. There will be plenty of restaurants and you will save good money.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank VicColon

Many apologies for our employees do not speak English or at least understand, we are changing it to improve care. Thanks to your comment we have fridge in the room, breakfast with more varieties and the restaurant the night working with more affordable prices.
Your comment has been of great importance for these changes.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

I thought this place was nice. It is really quiet and safe. It even has a pool, and you can actually WALK to Iguazu Falls. It is right up the street. That said, this place is out by the falls, and there is nothing to do out there at night. You will have to take a taxi, take the bus, or drive into town to do anything at night, but I would stay here again. It is a really good value.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Michael F
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Booked at the sister hostel up the road but as they actually don't have single rooms for rent, contrary to their booking page, I was moved here. Considering I arrived at 1am it was pretty hard to argue. Room was OK, I agree not 5 star but the location was pretty good. Staff were also pretty helpful

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Sue L
Reviewed 15 February 2013

I live in Sao Bernardo do Campo, Sao Paulo, Brazil.
My family was there during Carnival, 5 days. It`s an old hotel but clean, close to Iguaçu Falls (500 meters/1/3 mile) and te Birds Park (300 m) with a good shower, cable TV and fridge, a good breakfast (with café, milk, tea, industrialized juices, ham, cheese, breads, cakes, pies, etc and some non-Brazilians choices like sausages in tomato sauce and mixed eggs, fat food that some foreigners love). The rooms are large wirh a good bathroom and Air Conditioning extremely necessary once the region has a warm and humid weather. There is a window and a door that can be opened to reduce the temperature but with the lights attracting bugs is better to use the AC. Interned is good but you have to pay (for example, 7 days you pay R$30,00 or US$15,00). The regions doesn`t offer food options therefore you have to use the room service menu that offers few options if you want light food; maybe you can combine a grilled chicken breast or beef with salad or on the other hand eat pizzas, lasagnas, etc. To get different restaurants you need a taxi.
The staff is attentive and can inform about all the things. We had some issues with the Tourist Guide (it`s a third party service) that offers excursions to Argentina Side at night (to buy things/electronics at Duty Free, visit Puerto Iguazu and eat in a Argentinian Restaurant) or the same in Paraguay (Ciudad del Leste - really a big mess). They made arrangements with a lot of people at the same time without capacity to attend everybody. So, we had to change our schedule. There are taxis close to the hotel (in Birds Park) that can offer the same services with the same price. There is a taxi driver named Cleunir who have attended us perfectly and I recommend him.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Endlessenigma
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Pros: Can walk to Iguassu Falls and Parque das Aves easily; completely nonsmoking inside; ample breakfast buffet, although some of the choices will seem downright bizarre to anyone but, I guess, a Brazilian (hotdogs cooked in tomato sauce with onions, something that looked like lemon meringue pie, salted crackers, bologna, to name a few); comfortable rooms with working hot and cold water and ac; strong wifi connection which must be purchased separately via a prepaid card but worth it; friendly staff. Cons: No regular dining room service outside of breakfast and no restaurants nearby. If you don't have a car, you're stuck with the room service menu which includes nothing small and light. The food is pretty bad and unhealthy. The addition of some personal size pizzas (the only ones available here are huge) and maybe a few more "meal salad" options and some sandwich choices WITHOUT the omnipresent ham and mozzarella would go a long way towards improving the menu. Other cons: Minimal noiseproofing -- the building has a lovely, airy design but you can hear everything and with public large screen tvs downstairs, that can be a bit much (move tv into a separate room and turn it off at 10 pm); no screens on the windows, leaving a choice of no air, ac (why is a supposedly eco-conscious facility making natural ventilation impossible?) or
muitos bugs. To stay at this establishment, you need a high degree of ambiguity tolerance. Many folks would be put off by the resident doggies running around the place, the casualness of the staff, etc. I happen to like a relaxed atmosphere but this place could use some tightening up.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank AnneGF
Reviewed 30 June 2012

My son and I needed a hotel for one night while we visited the Iguazu waterfalls, and we chose this hotel based mainly on the location - close to the airport and close also to the entrance to the national park. We flew in from Rio in the morning, and walked to the hotel. The walk was a bit longer than we had expected, but we managed. The local bus from center of town past the national park stops at the airport and also some 50 m from the hotel, so this is a cheap option if you prefer to do your walking inside the park. The hotel seemed a bit big and cold and desolate when we arrived, but we were comfortable enough there. The walk to the park entrance is very short, and from there you can catch the park bus to the Falls (included in the rather expensive park fee). And the sights there were just as marvellous as I remember them from my first visit in 1984.
There are no other dining options around the hotel, so we ate in the hotel's restaurant. The food was rather unspectacular, but we did manage to fill our stomacks. My son's lasagna obviously came straight from the microwave, but the portion was so big that he had to leave some on the plate, which is very unusual for him. The room was OK, and the air conditioner helped us keep warm in the rather chilly "winter" night. There is a modest fee for use of he WiFi, but it worked all right. And breakfast the next morning was very good.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family