“A great place to stay”

Hotel Rafain Centro
Ranked #24 of 79 Hotels in Foz do Iguacu
Reviewed 10 September 2011

We stayed in nearly 40 hotels on a recent 12 week trip to South America and the USA. This was the best place we stayed. The spa bath was great and the breakfast was excellent. The only negative was an extra charge for the internet.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank glenjc
There are newer reviews for Hotel Rafain Centro

Reviewed 13 June 2011

Good place, near everything, clean, well trained staff.

Room Tip: ask not to be near the elevators.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 June 2011

I read in our Only Planet tour book that this hotel was "TOP NOTCH"...in my dreams maybe! I guess you get what you pay for. I paid $65 USD a night...and that got me a pretty filthy, lumpy bed, ant infested, dirty blanket, bedroom. The door to our room didn't lock properly, so we had to change rooms until they could find one that was sufficient. Also, we had wanted to use the in-room safe---which I found out you have to pay extra for (and have to get the key from the front desk people). They also charge for internet. All that being said, I guess this hotel served it's purpose---being that I was just in town to see the Iguazzu Falls, and at least I had somewhere to lay my head at night. I would probably not stay here again, nor would I recommend this hotel to others. I would look elsewhere for a cleaner, budget hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2011

I found ALL previous reviews accurate, Thank you Trip Advisor.
Do NOT wander the neighborhood after dinnertime, very dangerous. Very noisy on Weds nites only, they have a B'Que w/live music at the pool until 10pm- very quiet after then. Go use the internet room until 10pm, as it is on the street side and not many cars come thru at nite. Great breakfast, yummy desserts. Most of the front desk staff speak poor English, but are helpful. Need cash? Walk out the front door, cross the street(south) and go east 4 blocks(downhill). You will find a HSBC bank. You ATM card will open the door-Best exchange rate in the country. You pass lots of Itaipu Banks in Brazil-none take American bank cards.

Room Tip: All rooms the same.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Doc1950
Reviewed 29 December 2010

I spent 2 night in Rafain Centro in December 2010 with my partner. The hotel is well located, 2 "quadras" (200 meters) from the bus stop going to Cataracts, Ciudad del Este and Puerto d Iguazu. They are many good eateries around. There is a swimming pool, but with very loud music and screaming children. The hotel is old and basic. The room was very small and basic. The bed was really small, maybe 1,30 m wide, with a mattress profonding in the middle and a very noisy air conditioning. The buffet breakfast was very good.
I pay 100 USD for the room, I estimate the price should be around 30-40 Usd.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2010

We were very pleased with the location of this hotel after seeing where some of the others were located. For the most part, the staff were very pleasant to me (a woman) except for the front desk staff. They seemed to prefer to deal with the male clientele; after witnessing how they dealt with my husband. The dining had a great selection for breakfast--catering to the tastes of both European and American tourists alike. On the down side, when we asked to change some large Brazilian bills for some smaller ones, the would/could not to this for us. It was easy to arrange for sightseeing and there were many choices of dining places around this hotel; many within walking distance. The best one we found was a place called Bello Pasta & it was the best meal and the price could not be beat! I would stay here again should I every return to see these Falls!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank bokunhandl
Reviewed 3 March 2010

I stayed at this hotel in early November 2008 with my husband as a base for seeing the falls. All we were after was a central hotel, close to both the Brazilian and Argentinian side of the falls that was both safe and clean. Rafain Centro suited our needs perfectly.

Some of my comments on a few things I noticed are below:

Staff/Service - Ok. They weren't particularly helpful when I went to book a tour to see the falls and just seemed interested in making as much money off me as possible. I ended up making a deal with a taxi driver who set a fixed price to basically became my cheuffeur for my entire stay. This was cost effective as it was less to have him on call (he took us to the Brazilian AND Argentinian side of the falls, the bird park AND the bus station) then to do a daily tour from the tours desk operator.
Rooms - Ok. They were "shabby" and outdated. Well sized. Clean-ish. All the basics were included (TV, Desk etc) This was ok for us though, since we were out sightseeing all day and just came back to our rooms for sleeping and showering!
Breakfast - Delicious! It included: fresh juices, fresh fruit, cakes, eggs, sausages, cereal etc
Pool - The pool was great for a refreshing dip after a day trip out to the falls. Note that is does get busy and sometimes rowdy/noisy.
Location - Great for catching transport into the falls. (Bus stop not too far). Within walking distance to the town centre (Few shops and Cafes around).
Business Centre - FREE facilities. FREE internet.

All in all, it was perfect for our day trips to both the Argentinian & Brazilian sides of the falls (AMAZING!!!!) and the Bird Park (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!).

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple