Hotel Rafain Centro
Hotels.com
US$123
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Del Rey Hotel(Foz do Iguacu)
US$52
US$45
Pietro Angelo Hotel(Foz do Iguacu)
US$41
US$192
US$172
Cancelon
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 3 March 2010

I stayed at this hotel in early November 2008 with my husband as a base for seeing the falls. All we were after was a central hotel, close to both the Brazilian and Argentinian side of the falls that was both safe and clean. Rafain Centro suited our needs perfectly.

Some of my comments on a few things I noticed are below:

Staff/Service - Ok. They weren't particularly helpful when I went to book a tour to see the falls and just seemed interested in making as much money off me as possible. I ended up making a deal with a taxi driver who set a fixed price to basically became my cheuffeur for my entire stay. This was cost effective as it was less to have him on call (he took us to the Brazilian AND Argentinian side of the falls, the bird park AND the bus station) then to do a daily tour from the tours desk operator.
Rooms - Ok. They were "shabby" and outdated. Well sized. Clean-ish. All the basics were included (TV, Desk etc) This was ok for us though, since we were out sightseeing all day and just came back to our rooms for sleeping and showering!
Breakfast - Delicious! It included: fresh juices, fresh fruit, cakes, eggs, sausages, cereal etc
Pool - The pool was great for a refreshing dip after a day trip out to the falls. Note that is does get busy and sometimes rowdy/noisy.
Location - Great for catching transport into the falls. (Bus stop not too far). Within walking distance to the town centre (Few shops and Cafes around).
Business Centre - FREE facilities. FREE internet.

All in all, it was perfect for our day trips to both the Argentinian & Brazilian sides of the falls (AMAZING!!!!) and the Bird Park (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!).

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank misssyd
Reviewed 2 December 2009

Nice rooms, but the bar stays open late and good luck sleeping if you have jolly old Brazilians having a party at the pool. The pool looks great but it's always in the shadow. Breakfast is extremely nice but if you have an early flight, there's no accomodation for a breakfast box or the likes.

Do not book trip to the Brazilian falls, Itaipu or bird park from the travel agency: tose can easily be reached by buss. The Argentinian side is worth an organised trip.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2009

It was just fine. Good location, and wonderful treatment of the personnel. The room I stayed was small, but comfortable and neat. Not expensive at all. Next year I want to visit the falls, and certainly will check in there again.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank johnarbacle
Reviewed 10 September 2009

I travelled alone for business.
Stay 1 nights in this hotel.
The Staff it's very helpfull.
The price is resonanble with this hotel, very cheap, and included breakfast and parking.
Good breakfast but don't have bacon.
Very quiet room, but the room it's very small. Bathroom is small too.

Good location if you are by car ou taxi.

I recommend for all.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank rankfussa
Reviewed 5 August 2009

We arrived in the city about 9pm and eventually found the hotel we had booked after asking several locals. When we got there, we were told there was a problem and they were moving us to their sister hotel, the Rafain Centro. Again, we had to ask directions on the way because the receptionist couldn't tell us where it was. (I know this isn't strictly about the Rafain, just some background)
As we approached the hotel, we were quite pleased with what we saw - a small, 5* hotel with bellboys in proper uniform and nice decor. It all looked very nice. Unfortunately, first impressions aren't always accurate.
The bellboys may just have been for decoration, because they didn't make any move to help us with our luggage. I was with my aunt and three cousins, two of which are under 12. We had requested 2 rooms close together so that the boys could be in one, the girls in the other, and my aunt wouldn't have to worry about the younger ones being far away. We were told the hotel was full, so we had rooms on the same floor, but completely different sides of the floor. We told them that would be ok, but could we move the next day. They promised to find 2 closer rooms for us the next day.
The rooms again looked ok at first glance. They were a reasonable size, but the carpet was filthy and the bathroom wasn't very clean. There was also a very musty smell in the room. We were told there were 3 single beds in our room, but of course it was a double and single. I asked for a second pillow at reception, 20 minutes later I was given a blanket instead. At this point, we were just laughing at it all and hoping things would be sorted in the morning.
After sampling quite a few breakfast buffets around Brazil, we were quite disappointed with the food in this hotel. Again, it all looked lovely, and they had a wonderful selection, but most of it tasted odd, if not just plain horrid. And the background music was basically ABBA or something similar blaring around the room. I may be strange, but I tend to prefer something a little calmer at 7am...
We went out for the day to see the falls and the dam (which were amazing!) and came back to the hotel to find the floor around the AC unit covered in dirt. It had also gotten on a pile of clothes that was nearby. It seemed the AC units were spewing out more than just air. We called reception and they sent a cleaner to clean the floor but they didn't do anything about cleaning the AC unit. We also asked if they had found us closer rooms and they said they hadn't. By now, we were quite annoyed at the general lack of hygeine and quality, after paying for a proper hotel. I went to reception to ask that they do something about the whole situation. I was first told that there were no rooms, then he found 2 we could look at that were adjoining. We were pleased with this until we saw them. Within seconds of turning on the AC in these rooms, more dirt appeared. Also, there were lots of ants crawling along between the bathroom and the beds. This didn't seem appealing. Although he originally said the hotel was still full, he managed to find us a set of rooms on 4 of the 5 floors eventually. Each time he showed us one, it was worse than the last and he'd miraculously find another one. He was nice enough, it wasnt his fault the rooms are a state, and we both burst out laughing when he opened one door and we were greeted by an iron-shaped burn mark in the floor. The rest of the room wasn't much better. Finally, we ended up with rooms second-next-door on the 1st floor without carpet and with a newer AC unit. It still wasnt the cleanest, and it meant we had loud chirpy music from the restaurant floating up to us at all hours of the day but it was way better than what we started with. However, as it was supposed to be a 5* hotel, I felt they should give us something as a sign they were sorry for the lies and the hassle and general low standards. I wasnt looking for much, just on principle I wanted some small gesture. It wasn't going to be easy to get it though.... After 90 mins of arguing with the manager, the manager running out the back door and hiding from me, and me standing in front of the manager's office blocking his path, I eventually got us a free sandwich each from the bar and free Wifi (which cost very little but at least I won).

Basically:
the rooms were dirty
the few pieces of equipment that were in the gym were broken in some way
the soundproofing wasn't good
the pool was freezing (not helped by an unneccessarily high wall blocking the sun half the day) and dirty
the manager was horrid
the staff lied
the breakfast food wasn't nice

If I was staying in (and paying for) a 2* hotel, I'd get over it. But when I'm expecting 5* and I get that, I'm not happy.

• Stayed: July 2009