“Facilities nice; staff not so much”

San Martin Hotel & Resort
Ranked #32 of 78 Hotels in Foz do Iguacu
Pearce, Arizona
“Facilities nice; staff not so much”
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Our extended family of nine with an age span of seventy years stayed here 2 nights. The good: Hotel is very well located - close to the airport, the falls and the bird park. The grounds are exceptionally nice and well maintained. Pool is also very nice. We had "superior" class rooms, which were certainly adequate but not superior. Restaurant was maybe a little above average.
The bad: The staff must have been trained by a disciple of the Third Reich. They were, almost without exception, cold, formal and officious. We felt as though they had been warned there would be consequences if they smiled or were friendly to their guests.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Leandro C, Sales Manager at San Martin Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 15 May 2017
The San Martin Resort & Spa appreciate your comments. The same without doubts will help us improve and enhance our services and service.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Polish first
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 26 December 2013

If you looking for a place to get frustrated by bad service (I am talking about waiting a long time for food, bad service as far as internet, travel agency inside the hotel also has communications issues), THIS IS IT!!!!!!
They managed to make my stay (from Monday to Friday) hell!
I had to work online everyday and if wasn't for my prepaid Vivo I would be in deep trouble because their internet does not work 95% of the times.
The reason why they do that is because if you use the internet in the hall they charge R$3,50 per every 15 minutes. So they disconnect the antenna for everyone.
The hotel has the location and the structure to be a great place but they need training as far as treating the clients as guests.
If you don't speak Portuguese it can get even more frustrating!
The TV in the room is 20 inches, which is a joke for a resort!
The room key they only give you so if you want to take a nap and your partner wants to go out, he will knock at the door...no napping allowed!!!
All because they want to control that if you leave you can leave the AC on.
They have only ONE outlet for 110 volts in the bathroom!! Another joke for a resort!
The store that sells the adaptor was closed when I got there and the people in the reception do not have any for sale or to lend to guests.
If you come here either rent a car or get a cab because the food can be a bit surprising at times and you will be far from any other choice of eating out.
The location is good for the Bird Park and the Brazilian side of the Iguacu falls, which you can do both in one day!
So better be in a nice area full of restaurants around than the park that you only you go there one time!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Traveller71Rio
Boynton Beach, Florida
Reviewed 22 December 2013

The place is in a good location, however the reception staff and the pool staff were terrible.
When I arrived to my room I wanted to take a shower and noticed there was pubic hairs in the bathtub, very disgusting!
The internet hardly ever worked and when I asked to use their internet they told me I could use the one in the hallway for an additional charge. What a joke!
People come here from different countries but the only language the speak is Portuguese.
I ordered my food at the pool and waited over 45 minutes and almost passed out from starvation and the heat!
They only give you one room key to use to get into your room and insert it in a holder to turn on your electric, so once you leave your room with the key all the power will be shut off so your room will be very hot when you come back and you can't charge your phone or your computer.
But I guess that doesn't matter because the internet doesn't work anyway.
I had to threaten to call the police to use their internet which turned out to be really fast but they wouldn't share it with anyone.
I came here to relax and get some rest but it was a total nightmare.
The mattress is very soft, my back was so sore every morning I had to roll myself out of bed.
I would never recommend this place even to people I don't like!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else! The staff will make you miserable!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank frank t
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I stayed here for two nights in November 2013. The hotel is within walking distance of the Brazilian side of Iguacu Falls and only about a 5 minute taxi ride from the airport. The hotel picked us up when we arrived at Foz do Iguacu which was nice, but there was no return trip included so we had to take a taxi. They charged 20 reis for this short trip which was a complete rip off. We spent about 2 hours on the Brazilian side of the falls and the next day the hotel arranged for a driver to take us over to the Argentina side, where you will spend far more time. The hotel isn't close to town so you are at their mercy when it comes to food and it was awful. The first night we paid 50 reis per person for the dinner buffet which was disgusting and the second night we ate at the a la carte bar which was equally as bad. The rooms were sparse but clean, though they didn't offer lotion or shower gel. If I were to do it again I would not stay at San Martin due to the location and the food. I'd likely choose to stay in town so you are closer to the Argentina side and have choices for food.

Dundee Scotland
Reviewed 1 December 2013

There is no way anyone could walk to the falls from here. The falls are nearby but transportation is required. That said, there are no hotels within walking distance. My main complaint about this hotel is the complete lack of service and the disdainful manner of the staff. I ordered a beer at the bar and twenty minutes later I was still waiting. They have a chitty system where you hand it over before you can order anything. The waiter disappeared with it and I had to ask for it back as I had to leave for a trip in ten minutes. The same happened that same evening. The rooms were ok and clean the pool was fair with awful service. The grounds around the hotel were stunning with a 1 km walk round part of the rain forest. If reasonable food and good service are important to you, stay away from this hotel.

4 Thank sukiDundeeScotland
Reviewed 30 November 2013

the hotel is big enough, we had an upgrade to a really nice room. big pool, good drinks, and next to the view from the brazilian side of the cataratas.amazing stay. My family and i stayed there for new year'seve at 2010-2011 and we had an amazing time at the party the hotel organized to make the toast at 12.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013

this hotel is advertised as "simple" so we were pleasantly surprised, its good value and comfortable, and 5 mins walk from the brazillian entrance to the falls.. The pool is large with many sunbeds all set in beautiful grounds. the food is good and not pricey as we were led to believe, ok its not 5* service, but it is comfortable and friendly. The rooms are quiet and spacious. The brazillian side of the falls is breathtaking!!!, the argentine side is up close and awesome, be prepared to get wet! We have been to many hotels round the world, this is good value and what an attraction on the door step!!!!!

Room Tip: allow an extra night so you can enjoy the pool and grounds