“Terrible service, ok facilities and good location.”

San Martin Hotel & Resort
Ranked #32 of 79 Hotels in Foz do Iguacu
The Hague
“Terrible service, ok facilities and good location.”
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Many rooms refurbished with comfortable beds and good bathrooms (but not all bathrooms redone). The free breakfast was ok but limited selection for such a big hotel (we had a bigger choice at a very basic Amazon lodge in the middle of no where with 20 guests). We tried the dinner buffet (mistake) the food was ok but no variety and poor service, and the waiter when I signed even had the cheek to tell me that tips had to be in cash - there has to be some service before that becomes relevant. We were staying with Brazilian friends at the hotel who were embarrased about how bad the buffet and service was.
Location was good for the Brazilian park (very short walk, no tour needed), and very close to the airport. Bus stop opposite was ok for getting to centre but no guidance from hotel on this, they just said taxi 50real. The bar food was ok and fair price.

But service was truly poor given the arrogance, could not provide change (ok so no I couldn't do tips), guided walk through the grounds was arranged but never showed up, etc etc.

Overall if going again I think I'd stay in the centre of Foz where there are lots of nice restaurants, and just take tour to the park (which is fairly cheap) or bus (which is very cheap).

I would never recommend this place unless very cheap deal, and prepared to use bus to get around.

Also be careful of the restaurants the staff recommend that do free pick ups (expensive and mixed reviews).

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Hague-expat124
Leandro C, Sales Manager at San Martin Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
The San Martin Resort & Spa appreciate your comments. The same without doubts will help us improve and enhance our services and service.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Polish first
Singapore
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We had this hotel booked by our travel agency. Good first impression,
with a travel time from the airport of just 5 minutes.
The hotel set up and facilities are great. The rooms are newly refurbished,
clean and looking good but kind of small (2 large suitcase will not fit open except on the bed).
There is a nice pool and kids playground. Caipirinha will cost you 12 reals..
There is nothing around the hotel except the Birds park. If you want to go downtown (12 km)
you can take a taxi (about 50 reals) or a bus (2.5 reals).
The negative points of this hotel are the absolute non friendless of the staff, the poor meals
although prices are high (60 reals for a poor buffet) and the very poor wifi network in the room
although internet was free of charge. There is no power socket close to the beds which is a pity.
I did not sleep well because of a smoke detector flashing light on top of the bed which flashed
all night long.
I did not like neither the breakfast where you have to do everything including setting up your
own table.
The bar is not really comfortable except the sofa in the lobby and the bar tender won the
worse staff competition. We all really felt the place is run by a cost savings first oriented management.
Customers have to be the first priority of this hotel otherwise negative reviews will keep adding on.
The location and set up would deserve 4 stars for the price but I can only put 2 since service and
friendly behavior of the staff were just not there. Too bad.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Laurent P
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

My review reflects what I read before I got there. Great location - and the bast of those on offer if you want to be able to walk to the Brazilian Park entrance, which I found very handy.
I didn't go to the restaurant after reading the reviews, but instead went to the huge supermarket in Foz just next to the bus station where they did cold and hot takeaway food.
The receptionist when I got there was OK, but didn't speak English, so I was unable to obtain any good information about first and last bus times for the Argentinian side.
I had booked a junior suite with a jungle view, but my room was smaller than most doubles facing a tree and walls on the inside of the hotel. As it was late I stayed there that night, and had to have a real fight to get the jungle facing room that I had paid for. In the end they upgraded me to a 'superior' double - under very bad grace, and the bell boy didn't even help me to move my things after he had opened the door to my old room.
Wifi was pretty non existent despite them saying it was free, there was really little/no reception. I tried in my room and the breakfast room.
Overall, to summarize, great location, not the greatest hotel/service, but the best (and most expensive) in that vicinity, and certainly clean and decent beds/fridge/aircon/shower.
If I had to do it all again, I would have picked a better hotel on the main Foz to waterfall road as there are loads of buses that run frequently and late on this route. Very cheap ( a couple or R$s) and helpful bus drivers.

Room Tip: When booking get one with a jungle view, totally worth it to wake up to 'jungle' noises and...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank 40_helen_40
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 19 July 2014

This place was absolutely perfect. In fact it was better than we expected. What a nice hotel,its like a really big country cottage. Slate floors, lots of wood and out in the middle of nature. The bird park and the falls are definately an easy walk. I was doubting this before I left and I can now tell you that it is an EASY walk. Take CASH for bird park entry. Once you get to the entrance of the Iguazu park, you get straight on a free bus, so there is no further walking after the entrance. Once you get off the bus, you then walk through the falls area which is beautiful. We never got to see much of the outside of this hotel as we did not stay long enough, so cannot comment on outdoor facilities. Taxis are not an issue to catch at short notice.$R20 to airport. R$120 to take from San Martin over border to Sheraton on Argentina side. We had dinner at buffet, snack and cocktail from bar, and buffet breakfast. The food was not great. The cocktail was the best part. Our room was lovely, nice bathroom. This hotel has lots of big open spaces which is really inviting, you get a really nice feeling as soon as you enter the hotel and as you walk through. Just missed an appointment slot at the salon, but it looked nice and clean and the staff came across as very professional. San Martin have a tour desk to assist with any outings. If you look carefully you will find an activity room, with pool table, tv. Great hangout area for younger travellers. This is a great chill out hotel, but don't mistake it as a hostel style place, its not; its very nice. Great value, you could easily stay here a few nights and have a great time.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ozeire
Washington, United States
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This hotel is good for visiting the falls because it is close to the airport AND its close to the Brazilian side of the falls (like you can walk there). That's it! I stayed in a room for 3 and I felt that it was overrated, as it was simply a room, 3 twin beds, and a small bathroom. There was not a lot of space at all. We did enjoy the free breakfast every morning- but the breakfast was the SAME everyday. Dinner was average and a little pricey. We did appreciate the 2 computers that you are able to use with unlimited internet near the lobby. Overall....it was just okay....

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Abayomi J
Copenhagen Region, Denmark
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Hotel is as good as we pay for. I like this place in that there're huge space for trees and garden. I didn't feel like I stayed in Concrete hotel. Food at the hotel was ok and affordable price. I falled in love with this hotel - would recommend.

Room Tip: Tell reception that you want room with good garden view
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 13 July 2014

If you're in Foz just see the national park and the falls, that's the place. It's within walking distance of the national park entrance, right next to the bird park. I basically didn't need to leave the area during my whole stay. It's a great alternative to the luxury hotel within the park in terms of offering value for money.

The grounds are huge, great for a morning walk. There's an outdoor pool and an adequate small gym. Great Brazilian buffet breakfast, too. Overall it has a nice tropical feel.

The rooms are slightly dated, but perfectly adequate and kind of what you'd expect from a similar standard hotel in South America. Wifi is provided, as well as tons of international TV channels.

Loved every minute of my stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo