“Would stay again”

Continental Inn Hotel
Ranked #13 of 79 Hotels in Foz do Iguacu
Reviewed 16 August 2011

During my stay in Brazil, I will be staying in 4 different hotels (3) booked by a tour company, and (1) for a wedding. So far I stayed in a hotel in Rio, Foz do Iguacu and Salvador.
It's a shame because the best one that I stayed in was this hotel in Foz do Iguacu and I was here overnight only.

I noticed that all the hotels that I stayed in so far are just that... so-so, nothing impressive.

INTERNET: Plain and simple - too expensive for sucky download speed. For example, I watch a lot of shows on the internet. It took 6 hours to watch a 1 hour episode. I used speedtest.net to check out their download/upload speed, and in Brazil, because no matter where I went the upload speed was 0.57 or less for mb/s the global average is 8.69 mb/s and at home I get in excess of 25.0 mb/s. The internet SHOULD BE FREE!! because is far below the global average.

OUTSIDE/NEIGHBORHOOD/SURROUNDINGS: Kind of run down kind of look. The hotel looks out of place and my window looked directly into a homeowners driveway and house.

INSIDE: By far, this hotel has the best appearance. The employees were all very nice and helpful. My room had wood floors. The lights worked from the telephone, which was nice. The items in the snack bar was the cheapest. Water 3,30 versus 4,00. The bathroom was nice, the toilet seat was not plastic. The walls were thin.... or maybe I had a very loud talking neighbor.

BREAKFAST: By far, this hotel had the best breakfast layout and a wider variety. I ate around 6:30 in the AM, it opens at 6 - 10, I can't say about the service later in the morning.

Overall, I was happy with my room.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank 2007sweet16
Write a ReviewReviews (1,347)

Reviewed 14 August 2011

Hotel is pleasant enough to look at. Rooms are very functional. Reception Desk staff are not that friendly, but perform their job well. Breakfast buffet is good, but items are not replenished quickly. WiFi is not free - which is poor for a hotel in this class. Elevators seem to work 24 hours, every 5-10 mins, I guess mostly this is automatic, but sadly its noisy. Traffic noise is also a problem when trying to sleep. Hotel is close to an American style mall (10 mins walk), but not much else. Cheapest way to get to Iguacu Falls is via a city bus (drops you right off at the Visitors Center), but from the hotel that would be 2 buses (R$2.40 each ride) or a walk into town (downhill on the way) - it's workable, considering the huge cost savings. City bus also stops at the airport.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2011

We stayed at Continental Inn Hotel in the middle of winter, but I bet it would be much better in the summer. It was a very interesting property with an open air layout in the common areas. This made it a bit chilly when the temps were in the 40's during our stay. The pool looked nice for the warmer weather. The gym was a nice size and had ample equipment. The sauna was out of order.

The general staff was very nice and friendly. The front desk was not overly friendly...nor were they rude. There was always someone who could speak English, which was nice. There were charges to use the safe, wi-fi, and some kind of resort fee (I think this is what it was, I couldn't quite understand). They did not add up to much, but it is something to consider.

The room was clean. A bit retro, although I do not think that was the goal...it was just taken care of well. There was a fridge and a mini bar. As we were checking out we had to wait for the staff to count the items in the mini bar. This did not cause a problem for us because we were not in a hurry, but it did take 15 minutes...so it is helpful to be aware, just in case time is an issue.

The breakfast selection was huge! The first day was pretty stale, but the following was better.

Overall I do not regret our stay since the property was interesting and clean. But I would not necessarily recommend that someone stay there in the winter. It was okay and seeing the falls was completely worthwhile!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2011

This hotel had some good amenities - good size room; great buffet; shops; large pool area; large recreation room and computer area (prepaid card). Beware, there is no English TV channel, only Spanish. Although my bathroom was updated, some of the drapes, carpet and furniture needed refurbishing as previously mentioned by another reviewer. I don't know how soundproof other rooms were but I had a room in front of a VERY busy and noisy main street. Because of this, I was unable to rest or sleep much - I think this was the only real negative thing I found ruined my two nights there. I would have changed rooms but for one more day after discovering this noisy room - it wasn't worth packing up again.

Room Tip: Make sure your room isn't by the street.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 June 2011

This is hotel is very well located. It's restaurant is good. Nice room and friendly staff. The room, twin bed is aorund U$120,00.
Foz do Iguaçu is a city that must be visited at least once in a life.The iguaçu Falls with the Macuco Safari - a boat rides you on the botton of a fall!!, bird Park and Itaipu Dan are places that you must visit.
At night you can go to Rafain Show, where you can listen and watch dance of the 3 frontiers.
From there you can go to Argentina side and have a nice lunch or diner with great meat.
You will need at least 2 full days to enjoy Foz do Iguaçu.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank alfredo5656
Reviewed 7 December 2010

I had read many mediocre reviews of this hotel under its former name, the Recanto.
I stayed for 2 nights and was pleasantly surprised. The lobby, hotel rooms, bar, pool and breakast buffet were all very nice. The room was clean and comfortable. Some motorcycles were heard outside our window at night for which I used earplugs. The location was in a gang area and we were told it was not safe to walk around the neighborhood. This was not a problem for me because I knew this ahead of time and we went to dinner and falls by bus and I felt safe inside hotel at night.l

• Stayed: November 2010
1  Thank LeoR024
Reviewed 4 December 2010

hotel itself is not bad, shame about the staff...do not pick this hotel..

Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple