When one stays at a 5-star property, the measurement for satisfaction should be high. Hotel das Cataratas met and exceeded on nearly every measure. While we found few things wrong with the hotel, people should be aware of the advantages and disadvantages of the hotel's location.
We found hotel staff to be very friendly and efficient. Hotel desk staff speak fluent English though few others in the hotel do. When we got to our room, the bellman was able to give us a thorough talk about the room and amenities in perfect English. When we asked a question at the end of his presentation, we understood that his speech had been memorized. He did not speak English. Still, service was excellent even though we sometimes had to work through language barriers.
The hotel cares about the quality of your stay. For example, when we found that the hotel safe in our room wasn't operational, rather than swapping out safes, they swapped us to another room -- with a better view -- and did so in a way that was the most convenient for us.
The hotel pool is spectacular, the grounds are neatly manicured, but you still will see the local fauna in the area -- coati, lizards, etc. -- wandering the property. Standing at my room window the other morning, I watched a pair of toucans playing in the trees.
The hotel's restaurant offered a great breakfast buffet. I understand lunch was available though we were never on property at lunchtime. Dinners offered during our stay were either a rather uninspired a la carte menu or a rather good Brazilian barbecue and buffet. Note that the barbecue/buffet is priced slightly more than an entree, but less than the cost of two courses from the a la carte menu. That steered us to the buffet.
Given that we are a long way from town and that taxi's alone could add to dinner expense, we chose to eat at the hotel each night. The hotel did change the items on the buffet each night but we still were wishing for a bit more variety.
Hotel das Cataratas is located inside the Iguacu National Park. On the positive side, this gives you almost exclusive access to the views of the falls and the hiking trails around before and after park hours. On the negative side, you are secluded -- far away from other restaurants and attractions. It is really important that you weigh that in to your budget and your plans.
From the airport, a taxi - one way - will cost $R20 (US$10) to take you to the Park gate. From there, the hotel shuttle will take you the rest of the approx. 8km distance to the hotel. Once at the hotel, you are approximately 24km (15 miles) from the city of Foz do Iguacu and a R$50+ (US 25+) one-way taxi ride from town. Recognizing this, the convenience of the hotel restaurant becomes evident and even the price of the hotel restaurant is reasonable considering taxi cost of going elsewhere.
In all, I would highly recommend the Hotel das Cataratas. I would quickly stay there again. I would, however, recommend that you take into account the secluded location as you plan.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facing the spectacular Iguacu Falls in Iguacu National Park, the 5-star Belmond Hotel das Cataratas provides free Wi-Fi internet access. Guests can enjoy a cocktail by the swimming pool or play a game of tennis on the provided court. The falls can be experienced by speed boat, rafting or by a helicopter flyover. For excitement and adventure, guests can enjoy abseiling, rock climbing and canopy walks. Walking tours allow for the surrounding lush rain forest to be explored. Belmond Hotel das Cataratas offers traditional Portuguese styled rooms with a flat screen TV, dark wood furniture and warm natural tones. Some rooms provide a balcony and seating area. The two restaurants on-site provide views of the falls and of the hotel's pool. They serve a selection of international and local Brazilian cuisine. In the evening live music can be enjoyed in the downstairs bar. The Iguacu Falls lie between the Brazilian state of Parana and Argentina. The Brazilian side offers postcard panoramic views, while the Argentinian side provides varied, up-close views. The hotel is located in a privileged position, alongside the Iguassu Falls. It is in fact the only hotel situated in the Iguassu National Park. Because of its prime location, the Belmond Hotel das Cataratas offers its guests a unique experience - taking walks along the trails by the falls which may be done at any time during the day, with the added advantage that from 7 a.M to 9 a.M, the trails are for guests of the hotel exclusively. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Belmond Hotel das Cataratas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Das Cataratas Hotel
- Tropical Das Cataratas
- Hotel Das Cataratas
- Hotel Tropical Das Cataratas
- Belmond Hotel Das Cataratas Foz Do Iguacu, Brazil - Parana