“ELEGANT!”

Belmond Hotel das Cataratas
Ranked #1 of 80 Hotels in Foz do Iguacu
Reviewed 17 December 2012

Beautiful property! Orient Express has done a terrific job with this hotel. Bravo!
The grounds, the spa, the terrace, the bar, the lobby lounge are all exquisite.
The cleanliness is impeccable, the service is superb.

Room Tip: There are very few rooms overlooking the falls but it's worth paying extra! The restaurant is f...
1  Thank Orit C
Write a ReviewReviews (4,152)

Reviewed 16 December 2012

We were there in our honey moon for two nights and it was fantastic. Excellent service from the hotel staff and the level of comfort is very good. The falls of Iguazu are in walking distance another great feature. They could improve the restaurant especially for the dinner. I fully recommend it.

1  Thank Lacri D
Reviewed 15 December 2012

I have stayed in an Orient Express hotel in the past and I trust that brand - far I have not been dissapointed. If you ever plan a trip to se ethe Iguacu Falls Cataratas is the place to stay without the doubt. First the location. It is the only hotel located inside of the Cataratas National Parc on teh Brazilian side. The hotel sits right on the edge of the Falls. In the evening or early morning, when the parc closes you have the Falls just to yourself - quite incredible. We could see them actually from our hotel room window. The hotel is beautiful, elegant and just a place you don't want to leave. Everything is done with high quality materials and the decor is just lovely - not over the top - but simply just right and classy. Rooms are of a good size with very comfortabble beds, soft sheets, and all the needed amnenities. We have even gotten a free Hawaiana flip flops ;-). Bathroom was large and had great local toletries in big sizes, which we could take home. The decor had a local/colonial flavor and it was simply beautiful. All facilities were great. the pool was heavenly and we felt very well taken care off. Food was very good, drinks even better. I also went to the spa and had a heavanly treatment. I could talk and talk how wonderful the hotel was bu the bottom line is that it is just great and if you have a chance to stay there, do it.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Pysiu
Reviewed 9 December 2012

I would stay here are least 1 night, because the best thing we did all trip was wake up at 6am and walk to the waterfalls for sunrise. Only hotel guests have access to the Falls at this time. There was not a single other person on the walks, you have it all to yourself! After the Falls, you go back to the hotel and have a perfect breakfast, then relax at poolside. The pool is perfect. Can swim at all hours, under the stars. There is a nice fitness center as well.

Everything said about the hotel is true. The grounds are amazing, the pool service is impeccable. The falls are directly across from the hotel and you can hear them from the front of the hotel. Like others, I also wish there were a viewing balcony from the hotel, but it's not that important. There are many sitting rooms in the hotel to relax.

I recommend taking a taxi into town and spending some time there. The hotel arranges it for you. We took hotel shuttle to the Park entrance and taxi picked us up there. It was flat rate 50 reais to go to town and 35 reais coming back (using taxi meter). We went to the large supermarket Super Muffato and bought Brazilian coffee, candy, etc as gifts. This is a gigantic supermarket, with everything. There is also a nice buffet where we had a nice meal for very cheap, about 12.70 reais per kilogram.

1  Thank jamblix
CataratasManagement, Rooms Division Manager at Belmond Hotel das Cataratas, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind review on the Hotel das Cataratas.

We are very pleased to hear that you did enjoy your stay with us and our services.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 9 December 2012

I have spent 3 nights at this hotel in September. I have chosen this hotel for the location and because I am familiar with Orient Express having stayed with them before in Myanmar and Peru.
I was not dissappointed in terms of location. It was unique having almost an exclusive access to the falls early in the mornings and in the evenings.
My room, booked through Expedia was fine and comfortable. Breakfast was excellent including a good Brasilian sparkling wine. Service was attentive and polite. It was a pleasure just to relax next to the beautiful pool after earlier walks to the falls. Food at the restaurant was good although expensive. I have had a good Feijoada as part of the lunch buffet on the Saturday of my stay and I have loved it.
So everything seems so good right? Then why I am not rating this hotel better? The main reason is that this hotel does not provide adequate and impartial information to clients about how the options to arrive from the airports to the hotel or about how to move independently in Foz de Iguassu. They do not have a well informed Concierge. They delegate queries to a tracel agency located at the hotel, who seem to be more interested in selling their overpriced services, than providing adequate information to clients. See below why I have got this impression.
I have arrive with an airline from Asuncion in the nearest Ciudad del Este Airport. I have asked for options to arrive from there to the hotel to the reception and was put in contact with the travel agency located in the same hotel. This agency informed me that the price of the transfer from that airport to the hotel was Reais 400 one way (about US 200) and that the drive was one and half hour. No additional information about other options. To my question about how much a taxi service would charge, they did not provided a price, but the information that taxis could not enter the park. Based on this information, I took the transfer. When I arrived at Ciudad del Este, I have realised there were plenty of taxis who could have taken me to the gate of the Park, where there is the free hotel shuttle bus, for half the price of what the agency was charging. As a matter of fact, since my flight was leaving also from Ciudad del Este, I have arranged a taxi to come to the gate and take me to the airport for Reais 150.
I find that a luxus hotel like Orient Express, must have as first priority the clients interests and not selling their overpriced products. Accurate and complete information for arriving guests is part of a luxury service. The hotel rate per night is expensive, but we come because of the location and the name Orient Express as a symbol of pampering and luxus. To this luxury feeling, belongs in my opinion, a good concierge.
During my stay in Foz the Iguassu, I have found a magazine which provides good information about best restaurants and activities in Foz. Their online page is www.iguassumagazine.com.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank travelBerlin
Reviewed 7 December 2012

If you want to see the Igaucu Falls then you need two days and one night. In fact you can adequately view the Brazilian side in about 2-3 hours but you need longer on the Argentinian side because of the way it is accessed there. We chose to stay for three nights because this was the last stop on our Brazil tour and we wanted to have some time just to laze around by the pool. We were very pleased with our choice of hotel as a result. We were able to visit the Falls outside of usuual park opening ours which meant that a) we avoided the crowds - we are the only people in all of our photos!) b) we avoided the heat and humidity of the day, and c) we avoided the crowds! Having the Falls all to yourself can't be underestimated.
On arrival we considered upgrading to a Falls view room, but the room we were shown was small with a window to the Falls and our Garden room was nearly twice the size and $100 a night cheaper.

One slightly annoying factor is that although you can stand in front of the hotel and have a great view of the Falls, apart from a small terrace in front of the hotel restaurant (which is only open during peak times of year, and was therefore closed when we were there) none of the public spaces of the hotel actually have views of the Falls

Neverheless this is a lovely five star resort hotel stay. The pool and gardens are magnificent and the pink, stucco hotel is impressive, and very comfortable. Unfortunately at this time of year, all meals are only served in the main dining room. We ate outside on the pool terrace but the formula was a little boring and the a la carte menu is not extensive, Breakfasts are plentiful and very good.The buffet dinners and lunches are excellent value at about $50/$40.

Nevertheless, I think that if you are staying for more than three nights you would get a bit bored with the formula. You are unlikely to visit town to eat as it is a 40 minute drive each way and a car for the evening wil cost you $120. One night, just for variety we ate on the bar terrace and managed with bar snacks which were fine.

Pool service was first class, with constant offers of cold towels, fruit sticks, cocktail tasters, etc. Extremely relaxing. Front desk was competent but the concierge services were a little formulaic. In these parts, there are four or five standard activities and they just sell them.

In summary, its a really good resort hotel with limitations but the opportunity to visit such an attraction in almost complete privacy makes it a superb choice

Room Tip: Don't pay the etar for Falls view - not worth it
2  Thank Goooner

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us and other Travellers.

We are very pleased to learn that you did enjoy your stay, our services and your time around the falls.

Our main aim at the Hotel das Cataratas is to deliver the highest level of service and attention to our guests. Feedback such as yours, makes us feel we are on the right track to achieve that goal.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back as our guest in the near future.

Reviewed 3 December 2012

Yes it's quite luxurious- yes the location is beautiful but as you are so far from anything you would think there would be more to do in the hotel- they have two restaurants but only one was open when I stayed- the food therefore gets a bit repetitive if you plan on staying more than a couple of nights. They have just one bar with a piano being played- again that's nice but after a couple of nights it's a bit zzzzz. The food is generally good good although poolside it was disappointing. The pool is nice- id personally like to see a little more activities available in the hotel at night especially.

1  Thank Sean180183
CataratasManagement, Rooms Divisio Manager at Belmond Hotel das Cataratas, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on the Hotel das Cataratas.

We are pleased to hear that you did enjoy your stay with us and our services.

Your remarks have been taken into consideration, and our Executive Management Team is looking into them.

We are all looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.