“A highlight of our Brazil trip!”

Ranked #1 of 78 Hotels in Foz do Iguacu
Cologne, Germany
“A highlight of our Brazil trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

This is the place to be. To hang out, see the spectacular waterfalls right in front of the hotel and visit both sides within a day. The gardens and pool are clean and immaculate. A pure joy for your eyes. Most of the staff speaks English and is very helpful. The restaurant (they usually include breakfast AND dinner with your stay. Don't forget to ask!) close to the pool is excellent. The wine list is okay. The bar inside is not just gorgeous but also serves good drinks and has a piano player every evening. All together a superb place to stay. Definitely the best hotel on our 3-months travel through Latin America. A big thank you to the Orient Express Group!

Room Tip: The garden view deluxe room can also face the bus parking lot. Watch out, since they tend to be busy...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
CataratasManagement, Operations Manager at Belmond Hotel das Cataratas, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for takinf the time to review the Belmond Hotel das Cataratas

I have personally forwarded your review to our entire team, and on their behalf I would like to thank you for your kind words on our property and services.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Belmond Hotel das Cataratas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (572)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hungerford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

This is a very well run hotel in the most staggering location you will ever find. The service is top rate as is the accommodation, activities, service and food. The prices are extortionate but somehow one gets over that because everything else is brilliant. This place is a a MUST visit in my opinion especially if you feel like spoiling yourself. Indulge!

If you want dinner in the main restaurant it is best to book. We did not get a table and therefore eat in the Grill by the pool which we thought was better than the restaurant as it certainly had more atmosphere.

Be very careful there is another Das Cataratas hotel not run by Orient express and I would guess they are of a different standard.

Room Tip: Worth the extra to have a falls view and for this you have to book a De luxe room.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richard G

Thank you very much for your kind review on the Belmond Hotel das Cataratas.

We are pleased to hear that you did enjoy your time with us and our services. We are looking forward to welcoming you back during your next trip to Brazil.

Sao Paulo, SP
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

In order to check-in, you need to get tickets at the regular Iguacu Natiional Park ticket office. There could be long lines and, after buying the tickets, you will need to walk 200m in the shoulder of road, carrying your belongings. Not a luxury experience, definitely! Unless you are going with a organized excursion, be prepared to start you stay standing more than 1 hour in the line, under the sun of 30 celsius degrees.
The Hotel itself is really beautiful, comfortable and has a superb location. But an awful check-in experience can ruin your stay.
Here is the message I just sent to Orient Express:

Dear Sirs,

I'm writing here to express my disappointment regarding to my recent stay at Hotel Das Cataratas in Brazil.
Before my complain, I would like to say that the location, accommodation and the quality of service while INSIDE the hotel were very good. I found the pool restaurant just ok, but the main one and the pool bar were awesome.
But what really frustrated me and spoiled my Carnaval holiday at Hotel das Cataratas was the check-in process. I've been planning this trip for a while and my wish was to give myself and my fiancée a luxury experience, so I booked two nights, from 2nd to 4th of March 2014.
During the reservation process, I was never told about the need to stop by the park entrance and buy the tickets prior to go to hotel's gate at Iguaçu National Park. The cab driver told me that in the morning, a few hours before my check-in time. Then, at 9am, I called the hotel and a lady told me that I really should go to a ticket office at the park's entrance to buy the tickets. I found this a little odd, since the ticket offices and the hotel’s gate are 100-200m away. I would expect a special ticket office for the hotel guests or something like that.
Around 11am, the cab driver told us to call the hotel again, since he was informed that the lines to buy tickets were incredibly long, due to the holiday. This time a gentleman answered my call and confirmed that there was no special process for guests to buy tickets and that I should stay in the line. I didn’t like that, but ''ok'', I thought, ''let’s go to the park''.
For my surprise, there was a real HUGE line at the ticket counters! I oriented the cab driver to leave my fiancee at the hotel gate, told her to explain the situation while I entered the end of the line. It was 30 degrees, I was sweating and I saw that I would stand almost 2 hours to get the tickets! Is this a luxury experience???
During more than one hour my fiancee argued with the hotel employees at the gate, but they insisted I should stay in the line. There was a couple with a 3-year old kid at the same poor situation. Our dream holiday at Hotel das Cataratas had just become a big nightmare.
After 90 minutes standing in the line, finally the hotel staff allowed us to enter the park and buy our tickets direct from reception desk.
At the reception I heard all apologies and excuses. They said it was an uncommon day, with many visitors to the park and they were not allowed by the park to let the guests come in without buying the tickets. I insisted that Hotel das Cataratas should have an easier check-in process, but they replied that the park rules were inflexible.
Well, here start the contradictions:
1 - When I called - twice, by the way - , they told me there was no exclusive ticket office for guests. The employees at the hotel gate told my fiancee the same. Then, at the check-in desk, Mr. Fabio (don’t remember the surname, sorry) told that I should have skipped the line, presented my reservation and I would have gotten the tickets. This sounded like a lie to me. Should this be true, why wasn’t I informed about it?
2 - Guests that arrive before 9am and after 5pm are allowed to enter without any concerns, since the National Park is closed. So, if there is an exception process to enter the park, why didn’t the hotel get this exception for such a busy day? I called the hotel twice, 4 hours before arriving, they knew there were long queues for buying tickets… And they knew there were several guests coming in. They did nothing and made myself and a couple with a 3-year old kid stay at the lines for almost 2 hours!! If the hotel could not get authorization for our entrance without tickets, why didn’t they send someone to get the tickets and wait for the guests at the hotel gate??
3- My fiancee noticed, at the hotel gate, a VIP list. People on this list simply could go into the hotel gate with no hassle. Why? I paid a lot of money to have a luxury experience too!
During the check-in process, in a tentative to remediate the situation, I was offered a dinner reservation at the balcony of the main restaurant to watch the sunset over the falls. “Wow, this looks great”, I thought. Mr. Fabio asked what my preferred time was, so I replied: “When is the sunset going to happen?”. He said: “Between 7pm -7:30pm”. Then I: “Ok, 7pm is fine”. As he replied: “The restaurant only opens at 7h30pm!”. Was that a joke?? You offer me a romantic dinner to watch the sunset, but the restaurant only opens after the sunset! The hotel staff should really be more prepared!
Finally, when we checked-out, I told them that the check-in troubles ruined my experience, they apologized again and, of course made another mistake. They got my credit card, charged me, gave me the receipt only to find, ours later, that there was a problem with the credit card transaction and they needed to do it again! Luckily my flight was scheduled to the end of the day and I was still around to give my credit card again.
After all of that, I want to say that when something starts wrong, it’s very hard to fix it. And my stay at Hotel das Cataratas started the worst possible way. I really expected far more from a Orient-Express Hotel. Apologizing is not enough and you should change the entire check-in process. Even if there was no queue, It’s definitely not good having to stop by the ticket offices before getting in. What if it was raining? From the ticket offices to the hotel gate, there is just a road, and one has to walk on the shoulder of this road, carrying all the bags. Do you really think this could be considered a luxury experience??
I do feel disappointed and regret from spending my money at Hotel das Cataratas. I don’t think the service levels at Hotel das Cataratas are on a par with the standards of Orient-Express and I really expect you improve the services there.

Best Regards,

7 Thank TioPavan
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for sharing your experience at the Belmond Hotel das Cataratas with us and other Trip Advisor users.

Your review has received the all our attention, and follow up has been made directly trough your private e-mail address.

Please rest assured that the quality of service you did encounter does not live up to the Standards we expect to deliver and that measures have already been taken to prevent anything similar to happen again in the future.

Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

We stayed at das Cataratas (the Orient Express hotel, not to be confused with one with a similar name) for three days and thought we were in heaven. The location, inside the Brazilian side of the Iguazzu Falls national park, is unsurpassed. The staff were unfailingly helpful, the buffet food superb (and there was even a special rate for us as vegetarians), and we considered ourselves to be very lucky indeed as we sat by the pool sipping Bucks Fizz at breakfast time. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elaine H

Thank you very much for your kind review on the Belmond Hotel das Cataratas.

As hoteliers we give great importance to Guest Feedback, and yours made us feel that we are on the right track to deliver the highest level of service and experience to our Guests.

Our entire team is most pleased to hear that you did enjoy your stay with us and, we are looking forward to your next stay.

Ascot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

After travelling around Argentina and Chile for two weeks, spending 2 days at this lovely hotel was the real 'icing on the cake'......food and service excellent, nothing was too much trouble for the staff. Being quite literally across the road from the Brazilian side of the falls is an added bonus and makes a visit it Iguacu Falls a memorable experience

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like you for your kind review on the Belmond Hotel das Cataratas.

Your review has been forwarded to our entire team, and all of us are very pleased to hear that you did enjoy your stay with us.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

The reviews are not wrong - this is one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in. Spent 2 nights in the Garden Wing Superior room. Extremely well appointed (but no coffee/tea making facilities), spotlessly clean, comfortable bed and some of the best bathroom products i have ever come across. If you are visiting the falls this is the only place to stay as it is situated inside the park and you have the falls to yourself before 9am and after 5pm when the park closes to tourists staying outside. The falls are just across from the hotel and the walking trails so the situation just cannot be better.

Grounds of the hotel are stunning as are the hotel buildings. Staff wonderful, pool fabulous and the food is amazing. We eat in the buffet restaurant both nights as there are no restaurants other than the hotels nearby. The bill for both nights came to about £110 the buffet is £35 per person but the choice is amazing and a bottle of wine is about £30 odd - we thought good value considering what was on offer and a wonderful setting. Breakfast selection equally amazing.

Do not even consider looking elsewhere - Stay Here!!

Thank you very much for your kind review on the Belmond Hotel das Cataratas.

We are very pleased to hear that you did enjoy your stay and the services provided by our team.

We are all looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Twickenham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

Its hard to add much to the other excellent reviews. We had a wonderful welcome, lovely room and excellent food. There was a pianist playing in the bar when we went for a drink. The pool service was attentive. All of this what you would look for in such a hotel. The icing on the cake was to wake up and watch the Toucans in the tree and then to be able to wander down to the falls and be completely astounded by the views and their sheer scale and beauty. And all before the best breakfast ever.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
CataratasManagement, Operatoins Manager at Belmond Hotel das Cataratas, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind review on the Belmond Hotel das Cataratas. We would like to thank you for all the compliments on our services.

In deed, our nature "neighbours" are a very special touch; this is one the perks of being inside the Iguassu National Park, I am glad that you did enjoy it all.

We are looking forward for your next stay at the Belmond Hotel das Cataratas.

Sincerely yours,

4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,016 reviews
Mabu Thermas Grand Resort
#21 of 78 in Foz do Iguacu
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,706 reviews

Been to Belmond Hotel das Cataratas? Share your experiences!