“What a view!”

Ranked #1 of 78 Hotels in Foz do Iguacu
Adelaide, Australia
“What a view!”
Reviewed 23 January 2009

Visited Foz de Iguacu in March 2008 for 3 day/ 2 nights.

Location: AMAZING – the hotel has an uninterrupted view of the Brazilian side of the falls and is the only hotel located inside the park (on the Brazilian side). We had a standard/basic room and somehow we ended up with a room with a direct view of the falls – very lucky!

Food: Breakfast was in the main dining room which had all the windows & doors open, which added to atmosphere, but unfortunately most of the cheese & fruit was covered in little bugs – Yuck, not very pleasant.
On the first night we had dinner in the dinning room which was very average and the service was hap hazard.
On the second night we had dinner at the pool side BBQ – which was OUTSTANDING! There was an excellent selection of food, a great location and good service. The only issue was the price, from memory around $75 US dollars each – Very expensive. But it was worth experiencing for one dinner.

Reception: Staff friendly, informative and helpful

Rooms: Very old, very dated and most of the furniture looked like it would break if touched. But everything was clean and functional – big plus! Also at night the bathroom had lots of little bugs around the basin.

Overall the hotel rooms needs a big face lift, we were told that the hotel had recently changed hands and was now owned by the Orient Express group who were doing a major overhaul of the rooms, which I think if it happens will make this hotel amazing. But what we appreciated the most was the amazing location of the hotel and that the falls were literally two steps outside the front of the hotel which we believe was worth the money.

• Liked — Location & views
  • Disliked — rooms were very dated
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Monkey56

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (577)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Milan
Reviewed 7 January 2009

The hotel looks very nice from the outside and offers great views of the falls: location is its best asset. Inside it' s rundown, especially considering its steep price. After finding us invaded by a moltitude of little bugs the first morning we asked to change room. The second night we got a bugless room, which was good, but as ugly as the first one. Really cheap looking: not acceptable considering the price you pay. Nice breakfast.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MilanHalo
julianli
Reviewed 5 January 2009

The hotel is very expensive, but if you want to stay in the park, this is the only option in Brazil. I got up early one morning, and walked down the trail to the falls. I didn't pass one person. I don't think tourists are allowed into the park until 9 am or so. This experience was wonderful, and is only available to hotel guests.

Other than that experience, the hotel is very overrated for the price. We spent Christmas at the hotel, where we had to pay for an obligatory Christmas dinner at a ridiculous rate. The hotel is very dated, and needs a major overhaul, not the minor overhaul that they're currently undertaking. Our rooms had a lot of bugs at night, which is when the critters seem to come out. We even found a lizard living somewhere in the room. We're from the States, where those things tend to bother us.

I have heard that the Sheraton on the Argentina side is a better option. There's more to do on the Argentina side of the falls; the hike to the waterfall edge is spectacular. The hiking is better organized on the Argentina side.

As for the bugs, I didn't see one mosquito in the park during our stay, although we doused ourselves with mosquito repellent since there were reports of yellow fever (we weren't innoculated).

• Stayed December 2008
1 Thank julianli
UK
Reviewed 2 January 2009

I can understand the many complaints about this hotel. I do not complain much about hotels, but this must be the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The reason I have still given the hotel three stars is because of the magnificent location - right in the Iguassu National Park, close to the falls - brilliant. The hotel itself is beautiful, a colonial building set in tropical grounds, where it is possible to see toucans, raccoons and iguanas! Luckily for us, the pool opened during the course of our stay - this obviously made a difference to the quality of our experience.

On the downside, I found the hotel staff totally incompetent and incapable of following simple instructions. On my first day, they got the beds wrong, made us take our luggage back to reception, then said they would give us the room next door! I was furious and made it clear how I felt. The second day got worse - I had booked a "deluxe" room for the next day; you can understand my surprise when the room was worse than the standard room I had for my first day! I could not understand why I was paying more for a room that was noisier and less nice. I asked to speak to the manager and explained the situation. To be fair to the hotel and him, he did solve the problem by offering a fantastic room in their newly refurbished block with a view of the falls. I was happy, and glad that I could finally enjoy my holiday.

Imagine my surprise, when on the last night, myself and my partner, all dressed up for dinner, were told they did not have a reservation for us! This was after a helpful man at reception had promised the "best table". I told him in no uncertain terms what I thought about his incompetence - even though he still insisted the table was book-ed. In the end, they had the gall to offer us a table but with a restricted view of the falls. Further negotiations ensued, until we managed to get a good table. So much fuss when they had three tables free in the elevated section..and we missed the sunset - the whole point of booking dinner there. Needless to say, the dinner was complimentary. All in all, a catalogue of errors - rather like staying in the Brazilian version of Fawlty Towers.

But the majestic location and tremendous beauty of the falls compensated for everything in the end.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Incompetence of staff
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Londoner016
LuizaSardinha, General Manager at Belmond Hotel das Cataratas, responded to this review, 29 May 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and I regret your unsatisfactory stay. Your comments are of great value to us as we are in the renovation process of the Hotel das Cataratas.

Facing your comments, I am personally taking the right measures.

Once again, I apologize for the inconveniences caused during your stay.

I will be more than glad to have the opportunity to welcome you in the future, in order to dismiss your unsatisfactory stay.

Please do not hesitate to let me know on your next visit to Iguassu Falls, I am at your entire disposal.
Sincerely
London, ON
Reviewed 31 December 2008

We taxied into the park and arrived at the Hotel das Cataratas Eco Resort. The hotel is in the old colonial style and is very nice to look at from the outside. It is very nice on the inside too, but spoiling the entrance is a Stern Jewellery store (Stern’s and Amsterdam Sauer are everywhere the tourist and money is in BRAZIL) that is fine, just not in the main entrance. We were greeted nicely, but in the end were told that construction was occurring, I asked about the pool and was told it was under construction). This made me extremely mad because this hotel was overpriced to begin with and we had already paid for a night that we didn’t use, only to find out that it didn’t have a pool. Note: I really could not care about pools, except that I have kids who love the water and I told them that this place would have a pool. I also wasn’t sure this hotel was the best for us because it was about ½ hour away from the city of Iguassu or any other restaurant/entertainment and was expensive. I did however weigh in that it was in the park and that we could go for walks before the park opened or closed and that it had nice grounds and a pool. In the end, after making a loud complaint in the lobby, the manager said they could arrange for us to go to other hotels and use their pools and that they would provide a driver. This was nice, but still very inconvenient. The next day we went for a walk early (7:30ish), when the sun rose and had the park to myself for about an hour (this is the only reason to stay at this hotel, if you don’t do this, you are wasting your money, in my opinion). After that my wife and kids went with me and we walked the Brazilian side of the falls. After lunch, we used the driver and went to the Mbu Resort to swim. This place was modern, had great pools, was close to the city and was about ½ the price of Hotel das Cataratas, wish we had stayed here. Overall, this hotel is for money is no object tourists wishing to spend one pampered night and then leave on the tour bus the next day.

• Liked — close to the falls
  • Disliked — under construction, isolation
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank boondocks24
Canada
Reviewed 14 December 2008

The location of this hotel is outstanding, which presents some added benefits for guests - such as being able to view the falls each morning, before the park opens (i.e., all alone).

However, this great experience was over-shadowed by this hotel's severe charater flaw: they assumed that guests would tolerate rediculous surcharges, jaw-dropping amenity prices, and exchange rates that would make a street hussler blush. In addition, they made no compromises for closed services (pool) - even though our reservation explicitely said that all services would be open by the time of our stay.

We often tolerate high in-house prices, etc. at esteemed hotels. But das Cataratas was nothing less than a racket. Do not trust any quote that you receive from this hotel, as they have multiple ways to multiply that number.

Go to the Sheraton on the Argentinean side, but ensure that all quotes are in the Argentinean currency (avoid foreign currency quotes).

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Foolish treatment of guests' wallets
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BuccaneerBrowse
Finland
Reviewed 2 December 2008

This the hotel you should choose when staying a short period in the area. It is in walking distance from Brasilian falls and gives you an exellent stay, but it is not cheap. In the hotel there are nice, clean rooms and exellent service.

Don't forget to visit the Argentinian side where you can get closer to the falls.

• Liked — Location and service
  • Stayed October 2008
1 Thank Protravellers
LuizaSardinha, General Manager at Belmond Hotel das Cataratas, responded to this review, 30 April 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments, which we really appreciate. Your observations are of great value to all of us.

Please do not hesitate to let us know on your next visit to Iguassu Falls, I and my team will be glad to welcome you.

Celso Valle
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,052 reviews
Mabu Thermas Grand Resort
#22 of 78 in Foz do Iguacu
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,761 reviews

Been to Belmond Hotel das Cataratas? Share your experiences!