“Had an amazing time there”

Hotel Colonial Iguacu
Ranked #44 of 78 Hotels in Foz do Iguacu
Sao Paulo, SP
“Had an amazing time there”
Reviewed 20 June 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at Harbour Colonial for five days in May13.
Staff were nice and helpful. Travel agency in the lobby of the hotel gave us useful tips about the tours (we did By-Night Argentina, Argentinian side of the Falls, and Itaipu transportation with them). The hotel is walking distance to Parque das Aves (Birds Park) and Iguaçu Falls (Brazilian side). We really liked the decoration of the bar of the hotel - food was quite good as well. Rooms were simple but very clean. Being far from downtown is not a big deal, because downtown area has no tourist spots at all. Even so, in case you need to reach there, just take #120 city bus in front of the hotel. The bus costs R$2,90 (May13) and passes every 25 minutes, approximately. The same bus line can take you to the falls, in case you don't want to walk - just take it on the other side of the road.
Important: transfer in (airport->hotel) is for free (make your reservation in advance), but transfer out costs R$20,00 :(

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Flavia-LM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 20 June 2013

it’s 2 km from the airport and is in the middle of a lovely green area far from the regular town. Rooms look humdrum- they can be easily spruced up with some corful bedspreads and better aesthetics in paint. But this is offset by the general cleanliness and the beautiful grounds . we could see the lovely garden and a papaya tree full of ripe fruits just outside our window. Just 1km from the Brazilian side of the falls and the Bird Park and buses ply. The hotel also offers tours to the argentine side starting from 9am, But we were out by 8am, took a local bus to reach the crossing of roads and walked to the border booths on our way to the Argentinian side. The bus stop is conveniently located in front of the hotel. We liked the breakfast spread though it was not as fresh and varied as our hotel in Rio

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank avidtrvlr2000
VINHEDO
Reviewed 26 May 2013

The hotel is old and modest, but it is clean and the rates are a great deal. Make your reservation on the web and get better rates. The hotel is good enough for a weekend stay. Is near the airport and the Iguassu National Park - on walking distance.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kao M
Canada
Reviewed 5 May 2013

This Hotel offers an easy acces to the airport the "Parque das Aves" and also the falls at the brazilian side. The Hotel is really clean, confortable, offers good service to its guests and the breakfast is very good as well. However the coffee could be a little more fresh and good tasting as it is the tipical brazilian coffee! That would be my only complaint. Despite that I would stay here again for sure, what I liked most about this Hotel was the fact it was so spacious! The lobby, pool area, corridors and even the rooms and bathrooms I thought to be very spacius.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank hellenc
Yuma, Arizona
Reviewed 26 April 2013

I am actually at the hotel right now but halfway through the end of my stay here. Instead of complaining to the manager, I decided this would be the best way to improve customer service.

We ignored previous tripadvisor comments due to the fact that there was no vacancy in the top rated hotels mentioned in this site for the same price in Foz. Well, right away I started noticing the less-than-Motel-6 type service here upon check-in. Maybe it was the fact that the checkin was pretty busy, but service was mediocre and robotic.

Then we check into the room, and instead of a double bed, there was 2 twins. We notified lobby , and they stated someone would be here in 5 minutes to fix the problem. We waited 30 min and ended up leaving to town for a walk. When we came back, all they did was put the twin beds together. This was the first sign of trouble, but we agreed to ignore this. We also noticed the room clean but old. In fact, the bottom of the bathroom door was rotting and all they do is paint over it. (see pictures). A plus is the flat screen tv, but I guess we are not here to see tv.

Then next morning my wife wants to iron and there is no iron. So we call lobby again. Their solution was that they could dryclean and iron it for a charge.

Breakfast was good. A lot of variety.

We go to the pool. So my wife goes for a swim. I then notice a suited up guy (Im guessing the manager) survey the pool area and talk to the service girl. A little bit later, she approaches me and tells me that my wife has to get out of the pool because she is not wearing appropriate swimwear. I told her that she was wearing swim wear bought in the USA and that was one of the styles worn in the States. She then explains that if I had a problem she would call the manager.

Now my wife is wearing a "Tankini top and skirted bottom" from JAG Swimwear bought at Dillard's. I call my wife and she gets out and I tell her to go talk to the service girl. When she does, the service girl starts arguing that its not appropriate swimwear and that skirts or tank tops are not allowed, that she must wear a "tiny two piece bikini"...and added, "well thats what the culture usually wears here." Finally my wife convinces her to touch the swimwear and finally apologizes. I guess the apology is good but other people noticed the "scandal" going on and kinda felt embarrased so we left. I understand Brazil is known for their own style of swimwear and technicaly we are guests in someone else's "home" but if Im paying money to stay, then well...I guess you get the idea.

So I want to try to save you some bad moments, book early and stay in the low budget top rated Tripadvisor annual winners.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Bombero911az

Travellers are raving about these Foz do Iguacu hotels

Reviewed 10 April 2013

No nonsense hotel close to the airport, close to the Brazilian falls and close to the road to Argentine.
Ideal if you have a car.
Breakfast is OK but the coffee and juice machine are a bit below standard.
Room are simple but OK.
Price quality is good.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The location was the only good thing here. The food was too salty, and the blankets smelled. However, the worst part of this hotel was that there was a nest of tiny ants in our room and how the staff didn't do anything to help. The ants crawled all over the wall behind our beds, falling on our pillows, sheets, and our stuff. We complained immediately and the lady at the front desk said she will send someone to solve our problem. 30 minutes later a maid comes in with a can of bug spray. She sprayed the wall a couple of times and went away. Of course that didn't solve any problem since the ants kept coming from a small hole in the corner. We called the front desk again and asked them to do something real about it. They said they will send someone again so we waited for an hour. Nobody came. We called the front desk again, waited for another 30 minutes. Still no one. Because we were so tired and had no more energy left to complain, we moved our beds from the wall and slept that way. But do yourself a favor and don't spoil your vacation over a crappy room and crappier service like this.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family