“Great Location but Language Barrier”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Rouver

and 1 more site!
Hotel Rouver
Ranked #37 of 78 Hotels in Foz do Iguacu
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great Location but Language Barrier”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2012

We arrived in Foz for a two day stopover in order to see the waterfalls. Getting to the hotel from the airport was easy as we used one of the radio taxis outside the airport terminal. I am sure if you book a taxi through the hotel or use a bus it would knock some $RS / £ off the cost. The hotel itself is very well located, and has a bus stop practically on its door stop. The bus stop on the same side as the hotel will take you towards Argentina or the waterfalls amongst other destinations. Note that the bus stop on the other side of the road will take you towards the city centre. There is also a taxi office opposite the hotel entrance which we used to take us back to the airport when we were leaving (the price was less from hotel to the airport than the other way).

The hotel itself has a nice lobby so initial impressions were good. Unfortunately, I don't speak Portuguese or Spanish so communicating with the person on reception wasn't great. I would suggest paying when you check out as that seems to be the normal thing to do in Brazil. I made the mistake of paying upfront and couldn't get a receipt of payment due to the language barrier so I spent some time worrying that I couldn't prove I had paid if that became an issue. It didn't, but better safe than sorry I guess.

As soon as we had dropped off our bags in the hotel room, we headed off to the Brazilian side of the waterfalls taking a bus from outside the hotel. We ended up checking which bus to take by asking a receptionist in the hotel across the road so kudos to them for helping us out. You will need to signal the bus to stop as they won't automatically stop just because you are at the bus stop. It only costs a few $RS and will take you to the park entrance. I definitely recommend taking the bus rather than a taxi as it will save you at least 30$RS. The buses are pretty regular too, so you shouldn't have too much problem getting on one.

For dinner, there are plenty of restaurants down the road towards the city centre. We went to the "beer gardens" for food on both nights as the food was really good and steak orientated but there are lots of choices within easy walking distance including McDonalds, Japanese, Arabic and of course Brazilian buffets.

The hotel room we booked was a twin room with an en-suite. The room was spacious and had a small balcony for smoking (not really a nice view as it was of the building next door but that wasn't really a concern). The room was clean with towels, sheets, soap and air con provided as standard. There was also a small fridge which was very useful. Noise at night was fairly minimal. I had taken ear plugs anyway so I didn’t find it a problem even though the hotel is on a main road. The hotel also has free Wi-Fi so that is useful for finding out any travel information if you also have problems asking the hotel staff.

The buffet in the hotel was probably the best one I had while in Brazil, there was a nice selection of cakes and fruit. However, if you like your fried breakfasts you may have a bit of trouble in Brazil as they don't seem to really do that there except in the hostels.

Overall, our stay in the hotel was good; we didn't have any problems with the room or the location. The price was also one of the cheapest ones I could find at the time of booking. When we were checking out, they did try and charge us twice for drinks we paid for in the lobby (we had paid upfront) but due to a lack of a common language the receptionist didn't continue insisting which is just as well really. This leads me onto the only negative point I can find was that none of the receptionists (4 of them in total) could speak any English and considering it is a hotel in a popular Brazilian tourist destination I was surprised as English tends to be a common universal language. As I have already said though, this wasn’t a huge issue in the end as we found out everything we needed to know on the internet.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MancWanderer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Lima, Peru
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2012

The hotel is located inside the main city of Foz Iguazu and because of it has easy access to many places (like a supermarket for some grocery shopping or by the kilo buffet), not too many blocks away are most of the bars and restaurants and also is near the bus stop where you can get anywhere in Foz (The National Park, The Airport, Ciudad del Este, etc) with a simple R$3 bus fare. That way you save lots on food and transportation which you can use to spend on more attractions and/or shopping in Ciudad del Este.

As for the accomodation I stayed on a Luxury suite with Cable TV and A/C, the only bad thing that happened to me was that the A/C was very low on coolant fluid so it chilled the room at a very slow rate, however for our luck the days we stayed on Foz were not very hot.

Also the breakfast is one of the best I've seen for a hotel of this category, it definetly was very varied with an assortment of fruits/cakes/bread and juices. I didn't had the chance to enjoy the pool but I've heard it was a very nice one.

Also as a final thing the hotel owner was very honest about on overcharge i accepted by mistake on our room rate, for some reason the hotel recepcionist charged me more for my room than I booked for (maybe the difference between the actual rates and the ones I booked 3 months in advance) and the owner contacted me the next day by email to ask for my account info so he could deposit the excess money they charged. Definetly a great experience and would definetly come back.

TIP: If you plan on staying at this hotel and don't mind carrying your bags, you can take the bus in front of the aiport (no more than 200m away from the entrance) and for a R$3.00 bus fare you can get down at the bus stop just across the hotel, that way you save about $35-50 reais on arranged pickup from the airport or taxi cab fare. Bus run as early as 5:30am and up to midnight.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper dont ask for rooms with a street view since its very noisy out there even...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ravager
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

Best thing that can be said for.this place is that it's cheap. We choose it because we were only staying one night but on reflection whilst it is clean, the hotel is v run down. Rooms are very basic and ideally you'll bring you're own sleeping bag. Front facing rooms are noisy. Breakfast was a wide selection of cakes but had eggs and sausage. Overall though can't complain considering price we paid.
One final note, whilst there was nothing wrong with the place, it's defo not hotel standard.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Sandy M
Loja, Ecuador
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

Great value for seeing the falls. Large hotel with functional rooms and decent breakfast. When the hotel did not fufill their promise to pick us up from their airport, owner gave us a deep discount on the room in response. Outstanding reaction to the situation! Definitely recommended for passing through to see Iguazu Falls!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Santiago P
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

Stayed her for 3 nights as a couple. Overall, a clean and simple hotel for a decent price. They arranged a car pickup for us from the airport which went smoothly, the rooms were simple but clean and everything we needed.

The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful with all our requests. The location is along a main road in Foz and is safe. That being said, we found it very quite and slightly sketchy to walk in Foz after dark. We went out a few times in the evening to get food from some lonely planet suggestions, and as soon as we were off the main street (and even on them) it was slightly unsettling.

Right outside the hotel is a bus stop for buses that will take you to the Brazil side of the falls, the Argentinian border and Itaipu Dam, so you don't need to walk anywhere to get those buses.

There is a great supermercado across the street which had everything you would expect from a supermarket, and a surprisingly decent (and very cheap) per kilo restaurant. Obviously, mostly locals eating here. Breakfast at the hotel had a good selection of items, not super fresh but more than adequate.

Overall a recommended budget place in an excellent location in Foz.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sebas12345
Sao Jose Dos Pinhais, PR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

stay there!! if you're looking for good price and service, that's the place. i stayed there for 4 days with my husband and son and it was nice. the staff is friendly and helpfull and the location is great. you can take a regular bus in front of the hotel and go anywhere you want, or if you have a car there is free parking. the pool is very nice too. the room is simple, there isn's a wardrobe, just some shelves and a table, but it's ok if you're travalling on a budget. i'm gonna stay there again if i ever return to foz.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank manuelaonline
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2010

I´ve stayed in Hotel Rouver for 3 nights. We were a group of four (me, two 50-y.o. women and a teenager), and we stayed in separate rooms. The hotel offers 3 types of accomodation (standard, luxo/luxury and super luxo/suite). We stayed at luxo rooms.
This is not a great hotel, but is very functional. It´s a nice place if you want a clean, reasonably comfortable place to sleep.

LOCATION
It is located in a main avenue of Foz do Iguaçu, close to downtown, with easy access to public transportation (bus) for the main touristic areas. There were a supermarket, drugstores, groceries and other stores nearby, within walking distance.

ROOMS
My mother and I had a luxo room each one. My room faced the main avenue, but it was not noisy at night. It was clean and comfortable, although it was simple. The bathroom was also clean and functional. There was no AC in this type of room, but now I know they have put it.
Our friend stayed with her teenager son in a suite (super luxo room), which is more expensive and has more comfort. This suite had a balcony also.

SERVICE
The front desk employees were kind, polite and very helpful.
The breakfast was very good, with fresh breads, ham, cheese, eggs, milk, cakes, different types of fruits etc.
They offered internet service, at the lobby, at low cost. By the time I was there, I didn´t pay attention for wireless, as I didn´t have a notebook.
There was a parking lot for guests, free of charge.
There was also a swimming pool, but we didn´t try it.

FINAL CONSIDERATIONS
I would stay again at Hotel Rouver. Although it is a simple hotel, it is clean, quiet and reasonably comfortable. I prefer to spend money with the tours in Foz do Iguaçu, as some of them are a bit expensive (like the Macuco Safari).
If you´re looking for a place to relax and spend the day, I think this is not the hotel for you. But if you just want a good place to spend the night, without bed bugs, be welcome.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled with family