I´m staying here for the second time and things haven´t changed much:
except the weather: it´s kind of "fresh"; aprox. 18°C. Nice and less tourists.
The hotel is OK; the rooms are a bit old-fashioned. BUT:
* Relatively good breakfast
* Gym is OK; at least 2 treadmills and some excercise equipment
* Great location of the hotel,
a) because you can easily take the regular bus (BR$ 2,20) to go
to the Waterfalls. The bus leaves from Kubitschek (ask at reception) which is about 5
blocks from the hotel. Bus says "Airport, Parque Nacional".
Transfer time: about 30 minutes.
b) the bus to Paraguay (Ciudad del Este) is BR$ 3,50 and it takes aprox. 20 minutes.
Shopping paradise for electronics, perfumes, etc. etc.
Be careful when travelling back; the max. value of products you´re allowed to take back into
Brasil is 300US$; customs police check buses and passengers sometime.
* If you like to stay at one of the Hotel & resports on Rua da Cataratas, you´re closer to the falls, but those hotels are away from the city and kind of "alone/outside". You better rent a car to be able to go where and when you want.
* Don´t miss to try the Familia Maran restaurant next to the hotel. Good fresh coffee
Don´t expect too much from Foz City; it´s quiet during the week and on Sunday there´s almost nothing to do.More