“Porto Bay Glenzhaus”
Review of PortoBay Buzios

PortoBay Buzios
Ranked #10 of 105 Hotels in Armacao dos Buzios
Reviewed 11 May 2012

We stayed in the Hotel for 4 nights starting Feb 10th 2012. We were pleasantly surprised with the excellent level of service provided by the reception staff at all times, day and night. They were always very helpful in terms of giving us advice on where and how to go and went out of their way to answer our queries. In the morning shift there was Alexandre Baroni and in the night shift there was another very helpful lady but I can't recall her name. Our room was very spacious and with a marvellous view (Royal suite) and was exactly like the pictures they have of it on their website. The location of the hotel was also excellent. For lazy people like us, it was a 2 minute drive to the city centre, but for the more active people it is less than a 10 min walk, so you can enjoy the peace and quiet of the area where the hotel is located but be in the bustling downtown area in just a few minutes drive or walk. I would definitely recommend the hotel for any couple planning to stay in Buzious.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ShamelAbaza
PortobayRI, Gerente de recepção at PortoBay Buzios, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2013

Dear Guest,

It is a pleasure to hear that you were satisfied with our frontdesk service that's always trying our best to assist all the guests with their doubts and their needs. It is encouraging as our guest’s satisfaction is our primary concern.
We all hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again very soon!

Warm Regards from Búzios!

Porto Bay Hotels & Resorts

Reviewed 10 May 2012

After a 3 hour trip from a rainy 4 days in Rio from there sister hotel (Porto Bay Rio), and having read a few unfavourable reviews - I was not in a very confident mood we had made the right choice in selecting this hotel. I am pleased to say from the moment we entered I was pleasantly pleased. Baroni the duty manager was welcoming and so nice all my feelings disipated. He was welcoming, informative on what there was to do in Buzios, confident the weather was about to change in our favour (which I am pleased to say it did) and very professional, curtious, welcoming and a pleasure to deal with through out our stay. In fact all the staff at this hotel were wonderful and gave the impression nothing was too much trouble - not that we asked for anything - especially the lady who made us our eggs in the morning for breakfast.
First let me address some of the negative points I read prior to our arrival - there are a couple of villas being built across the road from the hotel but you really would not know as all the rooms face the back of the hotel. The hotel is a good walk to the main centre - 20 mins walk and you really need to hire a car or beach buggy (which seems more the norm) to get around - though I doubt they would ever pass an MOT. Baroni arranged that for us and the car company picked us up and took us to their office - 190brl (£67) for 3 full days.
We did not smell any damp in our room/bathroom though there is some black mould in the grouting around the shower and also on the back of the bathroom door, but we never closed the door so would not really have noticed it had I not looked.
As for the sun around the pool, well there are probably 3/4 sunloungers that get full sun but Buzios realy is all about their beaches.
The hotel is exactly as shown in all the professional photos - which is a pleasant suprise. We went for a "European Suite" which was roomy, sitting room and huge double bed. Kitchen area (though no microwave/cooking facilities) tv, dvd, good a/c, dressing area with plenty of closit space, huge terrace with sofa, the bathroom smallish with a large shower but big enough - nothing glamourous and could do with a bit of attention but nice strong powerful shower.
It should be said the hotel is not for anyone who has trouble with stairs as the hotel is buit on the side of a steep hill - reception is a road level and the rooms go down 3 levels to the pool area. The rooms are quite dark as the outlook (unless you are at road level and at the top) is all trees and as such probably harbour a variety of bugs that love to bite. Even though I sprayed myself with insect repellant I got bitten quite allot even though we had the windows closed. But this could have been from anywhere.
Breakfast is delightful and located by the pool in a small pavillion - very tranquil - eggs made to order - nice strong coffee - there is a Nespresso machine with a 6brl charge (£2.20) - though you really don't need it. The orange juice was freshly squeezed and sweet and delicious. There is a small selection of breads/cakes/cheese/meat and fruit. Not a hugh selection but enough. And the lady who cooks them is so lovely.
WiFi is free and available everywhere even sitting by the pool though sometimes you had to angle your device towards the hotel to get a strong signal.
Now a bit about Buzios - I have to say I was a bit dissapointed - We arrived on the 1st May - the season ended 30th April !!! (still 28c most days bright sunshine)- hence lots of the fancy restaurants and night clubs (if you like that sort of thing) had closed - which we don't. Buzios is billed as the St Tropez of Brazil - well it isn't. The so called designer boutiques don't exsist - if you are expecting LV/Gucci and the like you will be very disappointed. There are alot of shops in the Central area, which is pretty with cobbled paving absolutely everywhere, loads of souvenir type shops, summer clothes shops and a couple of nice looking homeware/art/china/furniture shops. Plenty of restaurants - we ate very well and not expensively either - you can have a fabulous sizzling steak, large salad, rice, chips for 2 or a typical brazilian fish/seafood meal for about 80brl (£28) - this was about the average price we paid.
The beaches in Buzios are quite narrow - beach to water - though not sure whether it was due to the time of year, expensive merchants offering food on the beach in there restaurant shacks on some of the beaches. We went to a beach close to our hotel which was nice with nothing on the beach - 5brl (£1.70) to park all day (this is a standard charge everywhere in Buzios even in the centre) though at Taronga Beach they tried to charge us 20brl to park (£8). We said we would not pay more than 5brl which he accepted !!!
I would hate to be in Buzios at the height of the season - the roads must be congested, the sea front restaurants heaving, restaurants crowded, the beaches packed and the no doubt the prices for everything inflated.
Going at this time of year meant the beaches were empty, easy to park and weather lovely. The sea was calm and very warm.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ast1963
LMeda, Manager at PortoBay Buzios, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2012

Dear Mr. Oliveira,

Thank you very much for your comments on our property.
We are very glad to know you enjoyed your stay here at Porto Bay Glenzhaus.
We are glad to read that you enjoyed our breakfast and your positive feed back in relation to our staff . We always do our best to offer an unique service and making each stay the best experience to our guests.
We hope we can see you soon!

Reviewed 23 April 2012

The hotel is not bad, and people are very kind.
There are a few things I did not like:
1) it is not really close to the downtown area, and I don't like the empty streets to go back to the hotel at night.
2) there were some maintenance problems with my room safe that didn't work and the mosquito screen with a hole.
3) I paid for a large master suite with a sofa, as shown on the hotel.com picture, but only got a good regular room with distant ocean view.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank BobRiodeJaneiro

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments regarding Porto Bay Glenzhaus.
We are very sorry to know you were disappointed with the room assigned to you.
Regarding the maintenance issues, I will make sure they are rapidly solved. I apologize for any inconvenience caused.
We hope we can have the pleasure to accomodate you here once again and make it a very enjoyable stay!

Reviewed 18 April 2012

I have to say that I'm very sad with my trip. Not that the hotel is bad, but...

First i didn't enjoy the construction around the hotel, it's the second year in a row that it happens which can only mean bad management. From what i ve heard, this was the CEO's from Porto Bay Brazil(Flavio?) decision. So as a CEO myself, he better review his actions and impulses..

The other thing that I didn't like was the attitude from Raphael the barman. He was always with the same bad attitude which looked like some own him money

And finally I must ask, Where is that amazing couple that used to run the hotel? They were amazing with me the last time. Sara cooked for us on one day that is was raining and her husband took us on a(private) tour around buzios.. they really go the extra mile and it was a shame that the owner's changed the staff, although I don't know the reasons.

The german couple ( Hans & Linda)

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hans C

Dear Guests,

Firstly we were extremely concerned to read of your disappointing stay with us and we apologize most sincerely for the inconvenience you may have had. We assure you those episodes don’t reflect our standards and we do hope that we are able to restore your faith in our hotel and allow us the opportunity to redeem ourselves in the future. Sara and Bernardo still working with the Porto Bay chain, but now in Rio de Janeiro, and we will pass your positive comments to them. Hope to welcome you again!

Best Regards,
Porto Bay Hotels & Resorts

Reviewed 17 April 2012

I have to say that I'm very sad with my trip. Not that the hotel is bad, but...

The german couple

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jp k
LMeda, Manager at PortoBay Buzios, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2012

Dear Guest,

We are very sorry to know you didn't enjoy your stay as much as last time.
We apologize for any inconvenience caused during your stay. Your comments on our service are very important since they will help us to imporove our service and to reach the quality standard of Porto Ba's Group.
Some reformations have been made in order to provide better and more confortable facilities to all our guests.

Reviewed 15 April 2012

I recently stayed here on a trip to brazil. We were in town for just a couple of days. We decided to walk from the bus station and ended up walking the long way. So this really is a bit hidden. When we arrived the hotel was open and we were greeted welcomingly. Before heading into to we booked a tour of the islands through the hotel. So the staff was quiet friendly.

Also,the Internet only worked intermittently throughout our stay. It was also extremely slow. The rooms were clean and the balconies nice. The pool only seems to get a small amount of light, but honestly we weren't by the pool that much.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank PMWtravels77

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your nice comments regarding Porto Bay Glenzhaus.
We are very glad to know you enjoyed your stay at our Hotel. I appreciate the comments on our beautiful property and staff. I will be informing our staff of your positive observations concerning them.
Because we want to offer a good service to all our guests, we are on a path of improvement concerning the techonologies. The internet, being part of that service, is one priority point for us. I'll make sure next time you visit us, the Internet service will be much more improved.
We were delighted to have you as guest.

Reviewed 23 March 2012

Beautiful place to rest and have a good time. The staff was very kind an helpful in many ways, specially the people at the front desk.
The hotel is 10 min walk from the city center, which is good because you are near it but away from the noise.
The room was very spacious, clean, neat and with closets big enough to put everything in there. The bathrooms were very nice too, but they should do some maintenance to them because in ours there was a leak somewhere down the shower.
Breakfast was good too, with delicious variety of fruits, juices, bread, croissants and other sorts of buns. There was also omelets and eggs.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Fabiana F
LMeda, Manager at PortoBay Buzios, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2012

Dear Ms. Fabiana,

Thank you for your preference in staying at Porto Bay Glenzhaus Hotel, and for sharing your experience here at Trip Advisor.
We are glad to read that you enjoyed our breakfast, and your lovely comments about our staff that I will be certainly shared with everyone.
Also I would like to thank you for your feedback about the cleaning of our rooms. It's very important for us the well-being of our guests.
In reply to your suggestion about the bathroom´s maintenance we can assure you that the necessary steps were taken to fixed it.
It is feedback such as yours that enables us to reinforce the quality of our service and we really appreciate your constructive comment.

Warm regards from Porto Bay Glenzhaus.