“A calm Oasis”

PortoBay Buzios
Ranked #11 of 104 Hotels in Armacao dos Buzios
“A calm Oasis”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

After the madness of Rio, the Porto Bay was a really calm oasis.
Rooms, service, staff, gardens, location, design, furnishings, pool were all without fault.

As it had no restaurant, one was obliged to walk into town every evening - which was fine going, but a bit tedious on the way back.

Other than that we found the hotel welcoming , charming and individual.

Room Tip: Choose a suite.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrewmpbyrne
PortobayRI, Gerente de recepção at PortoBay Buzios, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Porto Bay Buzios. Your opinion is a very important reference to keep the standard of quality and we will check what happened to better serve our guests. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Buzios.

Porto Bay Hotels & Resorts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Rio De Janeiro
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We stayed in Porto Bay Buzios last year, which you can see on the site under this title:

“Quiet and secluded place to stay and just near downtown”
4 of 5 starsReviewed July 22, 2012

Sadly, we can no longer recommend this resort to friends. We travel a lot and stay in resorts all over Brazil and in many other countries and have never been so certain we will not return to a resort as we are with this places. AVOID STAYING HERE if you want to be treated with any decency.

During our first stay the air conditioner was not working at all from the moment we walked in our room and they asked us to wait until the next day for it to be fixed because the technician was from the Rio location and couldn't come out. We found that unacceptable and they agreed to move us to Suite #1. This can happen anywhere so we understood. But then while in Room #1 we had a situation where a housekeeper took our dirty sheets off the floor (where we placed them to be changed) and she then put them back on our bed. We knew this because our sheet had a blood stain from a mosquito which we killed when we woke up that morning. The blood stain was on the top of the sheet right at face level. The housekeeper then proceeded to take OUR toothpaste and put some on the stain, wet it (with water, not spit I hope) and scrub the blood stain area(hopefully not with our toothbrush), but she didn't even think to wash out the toothpaste. She then put THIS DISGUSTING SHEET back on our bed, after taking it off the floor with mosquito blood on it. Can you imagine how grossed out I was when I plopped on the bed and put my face right there to see this??

BUT, the hotel did a decent job of handling the situation and other than these two incidents we had a pleasant stay. So, when we returned to Buzios last weekend we selected this hotel again because of it's privacy and quiet location, while still being close to town and beaches. (We live in Rio so we know that Brazilian standards are not as high as in other places and we allow for this in our stays.)

We are certainly disappointed that we gave them a 2nd chance and will not be returning. During our visit this time we opt'd to pay for the highest level suite, the "Royal Suite." This room typically costs an additional R$100-$200 per night over the "Master Suites." So we were annoyed when we arrived and were checked into room #7, the same room we first stayed in as a "Master Suite."

It seems we were "upgraded" last time because the resort was in slow season, but no one told us that, so when we called and asked questions and made this reservation we were told our room would be bigger, nicer, better view, have wifi (which it does not) and have nicer furnishings.

Of course none of that is true, because it was the same suite, we were just paying more per night to stay in it under the name "Royal Suite." When I pushed to switch to a better suite they let me see another room, but it was no better than ours and actually had a worse view. So we stayed in our same suite for more money - no offer of compensation or apology was given even. The girl helping us however was nice about it and did say that if we were more comfortable in the other room she didn't mind to switch us if it was available. She tried to help, but it was no help really.

THEN, on the first morning of breakfast we arrived at the last hour of service. The place was busy and we had to ask for a table to be set by the pool since none were available. This took a few minutes because the staff paid us no attention. Then as everyone else left from breakfast we were still eating, mid breakfast, when the 2 kitchen staff and a front desk staff started to talk, VERY LOUDLY. They were speaking about their work schedules, about ordering chicken meat and all sorts of other things. I kept looking at them hoping they would get the point that we were still there having breakfast and that their LOUD "talking" was annoying. They did not get the point so my husband asked them to please talk lower so we could enjoy our breakfast. They did, for about 10 seconds, and then they were right back to loud talking. They seemed annoyed that we wanted to enjoy what we were paying R$1300 for as a weekend get away. TERRIBLE.

So, we went about our day and had a nice time in Buzios, as always. Then the next morning we went to breakfast early and were one of the first people down. I walked right in front of the 2 kitchen staff and greeted them with a kind "Bom Dia." They both looked right at me and didn't respond with anything. Not only should they have FIRST been the ones to greet me, as the guest, but they should certainly have at least responded to me. I thought, maybe they just didn't hear me (impossible, I was 2 feet away) but then heard my husband right behind me give them the same greeting (he is Brazilian) and had NO RESPONSE. They just ignored us, as though we were not even there! Then as we were getting our food, they started talking to each other about us, using nicknames for us. They don't realize that my husband is Brazilian and speaks fluent portuguese because he doesn't "look" Brazilian at all due to his other heritages. So not only did they ignore us, they made fun of us.

This made my steam start to boil. So my husband suggested that I go upstairs and speak with the manager before it ruined my morning. So I did, I spoke with a desk agent who has been there for 5 years, he was very kind, understanding and listened. I asked him for the information for the manager and the corp office. I then went back to breakfast and then the phone at the pool rang. One of the workers was summoned up to the office, RIGHT IN FRONT OF US WHILE WE WERE EATING! This is the dumbest thing I have ever seen someone do to resolve an issue!

So, after breakfast I went back up and the information was not waiting for me as they said it would be. So another person, one of the LOUD talkers, wrote down the manager's email, but not corporate. I found later they emailed the manager and he came in to see what had happened.

The manager (Thomas) was standing in the lobby when we went to leave for the day, so I asked to speak with him. He was professional, listened and sympathized with what happened. He said he was appreciative of what I had shared with him, because the details of what happened were clearly not communicated in the same way as what I was saying. (Of course not, lol) I actually felt sorry for the guy because I know fully how difficult it is in Brazil to handle employees with all of the labor law issues - the employees can hardly be fired, no matter what, without costing the company a small fortune. So, he expressed his sorrow that we would not stay again and understood when I shared that I will share this on TripAdvisor and that we will no longer refer friends to this location.

There are too many other resorts (Bella Vita, Costa do Sol, Casa Branca, etc) all having better views, newer product and more attention to detail, to stay in this place ever again. Thomas was very kind, but said there was basically nothing he could do. He had already spoken with the staff about the situation.

I didn't ask for any compensation, or anything to be done. But I will say I was quite surprised that NOTHING was done, even after I spoke with Thomas. He was very nice and sympathetic as I said, but a true professional who was concerned about our experience that we were paying for, should at the very least left us a note of apology, or a bottle of inexpensive wine, or offered to reduce our room rate for staying in the same room. To not do so shows that the resort is only concerned with money, not with the guests experience. I was actually saddened that not another word was said and nothing was done, not even the smallest gesture of a call to check on us or a kind note. THAT is what makes the whole situation worse.

So, Thomas, when you read this, because I know you will, please take this to future heart for your consideration. Treat a guest the way YOU want to be treated and don't think everything is just about money. A short, hand written note from you left on our door to apologize again would have gone a long way. When we had problems before Bianca arranged for a one day credit, during our full week stay, to be made because of the awful situation, but you did not even think to send a note. All experiences in life teach us something, I hope you can learn from this and use it to motivate your team to treat guests much better.

Another sad part is that the evening support staff of the resort are very kind, smile a lot and treated us very well. And even contractors who were there working on lights and other maintenance were kind, smiled and greeted us too. Too bad the people who are SUPPOSED to interact with guests continually can't treat them well.

We will also be forwarding our comments to the corporate office and sharing them with any friends and numerous co-workers who ask about where to stay in Buzios.

Room Tip: If you choose to stay here, the only rooms that have sunlight and ocean views and are worth staying...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank David_HB74
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

Good infrastructure with everything fairly clean. Staff always available and polite. Overall food menu very narrow without options for children. Good parking. Room balconies very dangerous for children. A little bit too far from Rua das Pedras or beaches.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Jack G
Dear Guest,

We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast, and your lovely comments about our staff will be certainly shared with everyone.

Warm regards from Rio!
Porto Bay Hotel & Resort
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Alex and Alexander at the front desk were so easy to deal with and spoke perfect English. Breakfast was great and whole facility was kept impeccable with a gorgeous view. We would recommend anyone to stay here and will be back again.
John Brown and Sheryl Siano

Room Tip: The master suite was very nice and good wifi connection
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John B
PortobayRI, Gerente de recepção at PortoBay Buzios, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Porto Bay Buzios. Your opinion is a very important reference to keep the standard of services, we really appreciate your compliments regarding the front desk service. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Buzios.

Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed 3 July 2013

My husband and I stayed at Porto Bay Buzios for three nights this past weekend to visit Buzios' beaches and do some scuba diving, and we could not be more pleased with our choice of Pousada. We arrived late Friday evening and the front deskman (who spoke excellent English even though I am learning portuguese and love speaking in Portuguese) had our room all prepared and had set up a bottle of champagne with ice in the room for us as I had requested beforehand. Our room was lovely (a royal suite, we were splurging; we decided to do the royal suite at a less expensive Pousada rather than a standard room at some of the pricier Pousadas on the oceanfront) with views of the ocean (the Pousada is not on the ocean so the views are limited) and a lovely balcony. The Internet in the Pousada is intermittent in the rooms but strong in the lobby. The bathrooms were stocked with L'Occitane products (lemon verbena, my favorite!), the kitchen had a high-end espresso maker and fridge, and the room itself was lovely and clean with a fabulously comfortable bed and pillows. We parked on the street in front of the Pousada, so parking is not an issue. Breakfast was continental and served by the pool, croissants, cheeses and meats, yogurt, fruit and cereal. Finally, the walk into the main square was 10 minutes at most around a bird pond and we felt completely safe at all times. We ended up sharing wine with a lovely family on the bar balcony, the atmosphere being lovely and friendly. We would absolutely stay there again. Even though the price was higher than some of the other Pousadas (and much lower than many of the Pousadas on the ocean) the quality and loveliness of everyone there was worth the cost.

Room Tip: I would splurge, if you can, for a royal or master suite.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AshStanley
PortobayRI, Gerente de recepção at PortoBay Buzios, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Porto Bay Rio Búzios.
We greatly appreciate your thoughts and opinions regarding our breakfast, our rooms, amenities and the service from our staff. It's very important for us the well-being of our guests.

We hope to have the opportunity to host you again very soon!

Best Regards,
Reviewed 23 May 2013

loved the hotel, some minor problems like internet conection was bad but it is a general problem of the city, very few tv channels and poor quality but it was not important because the city and beautiful with several options of what to do, great restaurants and beaches, the hotel staff and exellent, the maids are very helpful and efficient staff at the reception exelente, Baroni who speaks impeccable English and helped us with all the issues that we brought up to him, for sure we will return to Porto Bay Buzios.

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank richardmother
PortobayRI, Gerente de recepção at PortoBay Buzios, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your preference in staying at Porto Bay Búzios, and for sharing your experience here at Trip Advisor. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed our city, and your lovely comments about our staff will be certainly shared with everyone.

Will be our pleasure to welcome you again.

Warm regards from Búzios,
Porto Bay Hotel & Resorts
Vitoria, ES
Reviewed 22 April 2013

The room was very big and simple decorated, good bed and sheaths, the bathroom and the shower were clean but it could be a lot better, also the balcony could have more furniture, there was almost no view from the sea as it seams to have in the picture, and there was also a construction next to, so our view was not so good, the hall could also have a better decoration, I liked it the location because it was near enough to walk till the Rua das Pedras . The people who work there are very friendly. The pool area is good. We stayed in the best suite and it was not worth it the price we paid.

Room Tip: Rooms in the garden have insects and on top the farther room from the reception (left side) has no v...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Thalita_T
PortobayRI, Gerente de recepção at PortoBay Buzios, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the Porto Bay Búzios, we would like to thank you for the comments regarding our rooms. We do welcome all suggestions, so that we can focus more accurately on improving our standards. We are glad you enjoyed our service and we really hope to welcome you again!

Sincerely Grateful,