“Little Paradise on the Hill”
Review of Vila D'este

Vila D'este
Ranked #6 of 105 Hotels in Armacao dos Buzios
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Tucked away on a hill overlooking the bay of Buzios, this little hotel was a wonderful surprise with a serene atmosphere just a minute away from the village of Buzios. Inside and out, the atmosphere was tranquil and soothing and the service was outstanding throughout our stay. Our three rooms overlooked the pool area with terraces and spectacular views of the bay. The breakfast was offered a variety of healthy and delicious options. The rooms were impeccable and beautifully decorated with the amenities that we had expected. The staff was gracious, accommodating and professional. What a pleasure! We highly recommend this little jewel of a place.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Patricia A

Reviewed 10 January 2014

This hotel is truly like something you see in a glamorous travel mag and always wonder whether these places actually exist. They do, and this is by far the most beautiful accommodation we have ever stayed in. We were there for only 2 nights at the end of our honeymoon as we wanted a place that was beautiful and laid back. We stayed in the executive master suite which we cannot fault one bit. The room is out of this world with a huge four poster bed and private jacuzzi on the balcony overlooking the harbour. The minibar was well stocked at all times and the L'Occitane bath products were a real treat! The restaurant was so fantastic on the first night, we decided to eat there again on the second night as well. The chef even came round to make sure everything was perfect.The breakfast buffet was by far the best we had in Brazil, or quite possibly anywhere! All the staff spoke English and were extremely attentive to our needs. We had 2 full body massages which were fantastic. You only need to walk down a couple steps to the promenade where all the restaurants and shops are. We left the hotel very briefly to walk around but didn't want to miss even a second.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ericvb
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We stayed at Vila d'este for the first two nights of our honeymoon. The original plan was to stay for five but that all changed when we discovered that MASSIVE construction was set to take place. This was not your everyday upkeep, this was incessant chainsaws and jackhammers from 11:00 AM – 7:00 PM for four days. Also, keep in mind that this pousada is small which meant that there was no common space unaffected by this irritating, constant racket. You could not get away from it. Furthermore our “exclusive honeymoon suite” was situated directly under the construction zone. And so ironically enough, the most expensive unit in the entire place was also the one most affected. Go figure.
Now, I understand that World Cup is happening in Brazil this summer and that many properties are preparing for the crowds set to arrive. However, I firmly believe that a few things could have and should have played out differently. One, we should have been notified prior to our trip that this construction was set to take place. Especially since the less than helpful Front Desk Manager told us that it had been contracted four months prior. Two, when I originally asked the front desk about it they should not have lied to me point blank with a stoic response of “What construction?” making me point to the very obvious construction zone 50 feet to our left. Three, they should have apologized for the inconvenience if nothing else. Really though how hard would it have been? Not once were the simple words uttered. Instead my inquiry was met with resistance and a rather hostile attitude by not one but TWO managers. It was to say the least likely the worst customer experience I have ever received at one of the nicest places I have ever stayed. Again, rather ironic.
To top it all off, after we contacted our travel agent and requested to move next door to Casas Brancas, I asked how long the construction was set to last. They said it would end the next day. Did I mention they didn’t know we were moving yet? Well, it didn’t. Although we did move, we could still see and hear the construction from certain areas of Casas Brancas and it went on for two more FULL days. So they lied, can’t say I was surprised. Also, when we left to move next door we stopped by the front desk to check out. We were there for several minutes while we signed the proper documents and the two managers whom we had spoken to with our concerns the day prior were also present. Neither of them so much as glanced up at us to say “bye”, “thanks for staying”, “apologies for the inconvenience”. Maybe it was naïve of me to think they might have valued us as customers enough to even address us.
Bottom line, the property is breath taking. The location is great. But if I were you I would stay at Casas Brancas when visiting Buzios, which did I mention was nothing short of amazing. Because at the end of the day I want to feel that my patronage is at the very least appreciated. And that if something does come up I will be addressed and handled with to use their words “handmade hospitality” which I can certainly not expect from this property.
PS I really don’t relish in writing scathing reviews, but this was an experience I felt worth sharing with fellow travelers as I rely heavily on TripAdvisor in helping to plan vacations.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Ashleigh Shane S
Reviewed 7 January 2014

The hotel is just in the right spot, on the sea side, in walking distance from the village and from several beaches.
Relaxing atmosphere, great heated swimming pool (plus another one), very nice rooms.

Room Tip: We had the suite at the bottom of the garden. Really nice. We also spent the first night in one of...
2  Thank DimitrisTheHague
Reviewed 12 December 2013

This was a real treat! We are dinner at the hotel 3 nights as it was so delicious we decided to keep sampling the menu. The service was great, the staff wore black 5-shirts referring to the hospitality being homey. I asked if they had the shirts for sale and they did not. However, as we were boarding the bus to leave, the staff ran after me and gave me a shirt, now I am reminded of that great experience often. They went out of their way to please. The spa, pool, view, and food were incredible. Will post photos later. Location was fantastic. Wonderful value.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view. Our bedroom was small but the bathroom large, no tub. The bedding was...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank louann g
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Stayed during our honeymoon for 4 nights and let me tell me you in 1 word-WOW. Service, Pool, food, spa-A plus. This hotel literally made every second of your stay freaking AMAZING. The check in was easy, the housekeeping were on point, the room-service was fantastic and fast, the grounds were always immaculately spotless. JUST WOW. There are 5 main beaches in buzios (if youre not into just hanging by the pool), and the hotel staff could not have been more helpful in every single aspect of my stay. You want extra towels for the beach? NO PROBLEM. You want your massage 30 min later than scheduled? NO PROBLEM. You want your room cleaned again at 11pm at night? NO PROBLEM.

Literally the hotel staff did everything they could to make sure you had nothing to worry about. And the breakfast? DELICIOUS. The service? UNBELIEVABLE. The location? Couldnt be better. You are IN THE CENTER of town, 2 min walk to all of the best restaurants and nightclubs.

I highly recommend the master suite if you can afford it, it is breathtaking. You can literally see your room from the water taxi you take back from the beach.

As a pretentious (slightly stuck up) NY'er, this hotel blew me away. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

Room Tip: Master Suite ALL THE WAY. Private balcony, private hot-tub, private entrance/exit. SUPERB.
1  Thank CLonds
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We stayed at Vila d'este for our honeymoon in November 2013. All I can say is that I cant wait to come back. Being from the US, the language barrier in Brazil was tough, but fortunately everyone or close to everyone here spoke great english. The views from our room, restaurant, and pool were all amazing.
Via d'este was in a great location, which made it close to walk into downtown Buzios for shopping, eating, drinking and partying.
When me and my wife were not sure on where to go or what to do, all we had to do was ask the front desk, and ask them to book it for us. They were amazing.
I cant wait to get back to Buzios, and I will without a doubt stay at Vilad'este again.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 15 which was ocean front. It was amazing, and very secluded. We had to go down our...
1  Thank Pat D