Pousada Naturalia
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Praia da Crena Inn(Ilha Grande)
US$101
US$56
US$96
  • Breakfast included
Vila Pedra Mar(Ilha Grande)
  • Breakfast included
Sagu Mini Resort(Ilha Grande)
  • Pool
Pousada Casablanca(Ilha Grande)
  • Breakfast included
Portal dos Borbas(Ilha Grande)
Hospedagem Acorde(Ilha Grande)
Priceline
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
All reviewsbreadthe ownerjuicegive adviceminute walkcakelovely balconyevery morningour short staypleasant staybreakfast was deliciousocean viewmain villageafternoon tealaurentdiegonature
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 January 2014

You just have to enjoy the amount of effort and love that goes into the running of Pousada Naturalia. Its a lovely place, full of charm, with no effort spared to help you have the best holiday possible.

I did think that Ilha Grande might be a bit more "off the beaten track" than it actually is (you can see it from the mainland). A one hour boat ride is all it takes, and then a 10 minute walk across the sand to the Naturalia, which is towards the far end of the beach. It is up a very steep path off the beach and can also be approached (at least most of the way) via a sandy "road" behind the village.

Welcome drink was very.. welcome. The owner comes to meet you in the breakfast area and will tell you all about the Pousada and the island. He will also talk to you every morning over breakfast to find out what you want to do that day - he will produce maps and all sorts of good advice if you want him to. Very personalised service in this respect I felt.

Room was a really good size for me travelling on my own. A really comfortable double bed and a single besides. Good terrace with an amazing tropical view down over the bay - complete with hammock. The air con was luckily very efficient. Drinks in mini bar are competitively priced vs the drinks you can buy in the local supermarket. Bathroom is really small but is perfectly adequate. The whole place feels relaxing.

Breakfast - nice choice of breads and fruits etc. Not really much else to say. It was so hot that I didn't really want much! The breakfast area is so pretty, built around the rocks and with a small waterfall behind, hanging plants and natural foliage encroaching on the space to make you feel you really are part of nature. All really good.

Location - fine - the village is really small anyway so you would never be more than a 10 minute walk from the "action". Though one evening I was in a restaurant down the beach and a huge thunderstorm took out all the electricty in the area. I really wondered how I would get back up the beach because it was pitch black. Eventually it came back on - luckily! Lots of really nice beach bars and restaurants to choose from. The village isn't much really - plenty of cute little gift shops etc (but they all sell pretty much the same stuff) and a couple of small supermarkets.

I did several hikes to other beaches on my own. The main beach at the village felt rather dirty to me. There were dogs EVERYWHERE. I took photos and when I looked at them later there was barely a photo which didn't feature some random dog somewhere. They are REALLY annoying. I think most are pets but still... badly behaved (I didn't see any really aggressive ones) but it got to the point that I was getting angry every time I walked on the beach. If you walk 3 or 4 beaches away you may find a spot with fewer dogs (maybe just one dog at the beach bar) but I think it is a problem for this island. We have the Isle of Dogs in London... and it is not glamorous or laid back. The dogs did impact on my enjoyment of any "quiet" time on the beach. Also beware the CRUISE SHIPS. They are in almost every day and they ship their occupants onto any beach you care to visit. One morning I hiked over an hour to a beach I thought would be more secluded - I could have wept when I arrived to find the matching blue towels already taking up the whole place.

So, the Pousada is great - really highly recommend it. But the island isn't quite the idyll that I had imagined.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank OverworkedUnderpaid
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We loved everything about this place. Rooms were spotless, bathrooms clean and comfortable. Great view from our ocean view room with wonderful hammock. Owner thinks of everything, from hot milk at breakfast for coffee to a map he takes down to do a tour of the island with activities to fresh juice upon your arrival. One thing to note: cruise ships have made the island a stop and when they come through, the main town and beach are overrun with people. The hotel is far from that and we found beaches that were untouched by the cruise ships, but we had no idea about this and three of our four days cruise ships were there. However, if you come, stay here, it is paradise and you will have excellent care.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jbethune
Reviewed 4 January 2014

This pousada is possibly the best stay on Ilha Grande. You can feel that the managers put their soul into this place, thinking about every detail to make it a perfect stay for the guests. The rooms are carefully decorated, some with stunning views over the bay. The location of the pousada is also good, well away from the noicy village center (5-10 min walk on the beach), and close to some great beach bars/restaurants where you can eat while dipping your toes in the water. Naturalia is a very professionally run place and if visiting Ilha Grande it should be your choice of stay!

Thank you for a great stay!

Tiago & Susannah

Room Tip: The rooms on the second floor have great views of the bay.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sanninha
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Really nice and quite place, managed by 2 french guys.
Excellent breakfast (homemade cake, tasty exotic fruits) during when managers give us many idea of excursions : many beaches, trek ! Preferable to stay 2 nights minimum

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nicolas C
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We had a great stay, where made to feel like one in the family from day one. Rooms are very nicely decorated with attention to detail, a bit on the small side but the balconys are very neat so they are almost like an extension of the room. Bed was comfy but a bit short for my husband. Shampoo and bar soap provided, so you might want to bring your own conditioner, lotion etc. Breakfast is nice and served in a very cool natural setting. Great scrambled eggs with cheese. The property is lovely and extra plus for the environmental awareness, but what really made a difference was the service, there was a genuine feeling of that the owners enjoyed having you there, Always time for a chat, Always good recommendations for food and activities, friendly with our son and helpful with everything from dinner bookings to lending out flashlights and umbrellas. Would definitely go back!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family