“Life can't get any better than this”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ilha Grande
The Island Experience
Ranked #72 of 92 Ilha Grande B&B and Inns
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Life can't get any better than this”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2011

Fabulous experience; beautiful, wonderful people running the program; incredible setting; -- who could ask for more?

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank torreynado

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2011

The Island Experience is a top notch, intense and powerful detox/retreat/back-to-nature escape.

The lodge itself is beautiful, located on its own private little beach on Ilha Grande, and accessed mainly by boat. The rooms are comfotable and rustic, rather than luxurious (this is not a 5* hotel, more of a eco-lodge). Both rooms I stayed in were spacious and comfortable, with balconys overlooking the water and perfect views of the sunset from their hammocks.

The food is delicious - if you like no diary, no meat, no caffeine and no alcohol. I do - and so wolfed down everything that was put in front of me. The portions are sufficient for what you need, but not excessive, and so whilst on the retreat I lost a couple of kgs due to the amount of exercise we were doing. Larger portions are always available, but do be prepared to be serious about the restrictions on your diet - if you crave coffee or find it very hard to do without meat then you may find yourself having to tough it out through the week!

The hiking, kayaking and snorkling on the island are world class, and the instructors patient, skillful and experienced. If the weather is good then you will have some of the most magical experiences - the hike to the top of Parrot Peak opens out to a superb view over the mainland and all the other islands, which is well worth the slog up! Daily yoga helps to soothe and stretch tired muscles and prepare for the next day's activities.

I loved my week on the Island - my fellow guests were kind, compassionate and interesting people with whom I'll stay in touch. Spending a week exploring the island by boat and foot was wonderful. I slept like a baby, and left refreshed and invigorated to continue my trip through Brazil.

To get the most out of the experience I'd reccomend that you do your homework before turning up, and be prepared to fully engage with the challenges and opportunities that the Island Experince will give you. The trainers are flexible and accomodating, and will work with you so that you get what you need from your time at the lodge. However, its solitude and regime are probably not for everyone - so do be prepared for the diet, the routine and the exercise!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Clarabellestar
Nyon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2011

Beautiful lodge with great detox program that makes you feel like being reborn after a week (or preferably two to really get back in great shape). Perfect "no frills" service, very comfortable rooms, great amenities, all on a beautiful island with amazing beaches and fantastic hiking trails. A way to detox and have lots of fun at the same time.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
Powell River, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2011

Before we came to TIE, we read all the reviews. As world travelers, always read tripadviosr reviews with some caution. This place had so many long wordy reviews, so many worded over the top positive, so we had some doubts, come on it can't be that great.

Well it is ... Plain and simple ... We travelled from the west coast of Canada, 12000 k's each way for a week at TIE. Well worth the effort and cost.

As a man, shocked to hear only 15% of the guest are men ... Don't understand that one. Guys don't let the women go alone ... Lol ... You will miss out on some great stuff. The exercise level is as hard as you want it. The daily massage is awesome ...

The food ... I am no light weight, arriving at TIE around 225lbs, not sure what I have lost but close to 10lbs. The food was more than enough. Quality was outstanding, and more available if you needed it, tried hard not to give in to the "want more please" . Theses folks know their stuff ... Had enough energy to complete the week, and even after our long trip home yesterday I am sitting here writing this review without being exhausted.

Read all the reviews ... But really go experience the TIE for yourself ... It is worth it.

Thank you everyone at TIE ... You have something special going on there ... Keep it up ...

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank ReneLes
Island_Martin, Manager at The Island Experience, responded to this review, 29 April 2011
We are grateful for your wonderfully kind words - thank you! It was truly a pleasure having you both with us for a great week and we are excited to hopefully having you join us for another 'Experience' in Patagonia!
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2010

Everything about The Island Experience was perfect. The guides were patient and knowledgable along with being some of the nicest people I've ever met. The food was delicious and the activities highlighted just how beautiful the scenery is there. I would go back a million times over...top notch facility!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2010

This was the trip of a lifetime. I went with a group of friends and we all absolutely loved it. The island is a paradise and the spa is breathtaking. Across the board, the owners and staff couldn’t have been more gracious and welcoming. Their love for what they do, the island, and nature is infectious. The food was fantastic. Every meal was inventive, fresh, healthy and really delicious. The combination of hiking, kayaking, yoga and massage were perfect. The activities were challenging and always took us to different and interesting parts of the island. They encourage everyone to take part in the activities, but we had people at different levels so they had some alternate plans for those who needed less of a challenge. My friends and I were all yoga beginners. Our yoga instructors tailored the classes to our experience level, paid attention to any special needs and gave us a great experience every day. The massages were amazing – so luxurious – and so helpful in keeping us from being sore after a great day of strenuous activities. I could go on and on, but suffice it to say that the week we spent at the Island Experience has rubbed off on the rest of our lives – we’re all eating better, exercising more and feeling great. We felt so fortunate to have been able to go and share such an amazing experience. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2010

This was the best trip I have ever taken. There won't be words to describe how great this place was but I'll thrown out a few high points. I found the Island Experience doing searches on "top ten ....spas, adventure, yoga, mind-body-spirit, etc ". Then I began reading reviews. The reviews for the Island Experience mentioned many of the things I was looking for... exercise, great food, relaxation, massage, hiking, rain forest, kayaking, oceanfront, beaches, yoga, cultural experience, etc.). It was all that and more. It is a unique experience to end up on a beautiful island with 8-10 others, previously unknown to you, and spend a week eating, playing, laughing, sweating and relaxing. The week I went (last week in August), I shared my Island Experience with people who had traveled from Argentina, Saudi Arabia, Switzerland, England, and the other coast of the US. Four people had been there a week or two when I arrived. Five of us showed up for our fist week together. It was so much fun to hang out with people from around the world, walk trails, kayak beautiful blue waters, explore amazing beaches, relax on yoga mats and share wonderful cuisine in an open air dining room beside the ocean by candlelight. Plenty of solitary time too, if you want it. This place takes the "do what you want" approach. So you have amazing daytrip options every day, or you can just stay at the main lodge and relax on the grounds. The sauna and hottub have perfect views of the sunset and are highly recommended.

Although I had read everything I could before going, there were still pleasant surprises waiting there. There were two amazing performances by visiting specialists in Capoeira (Brazilian martial art) and in Aerial Artistry. Both the Aerial Artist and the Capoerira group conducted classes in their respective arts so that we got to try these amazing activities. In addition, we were treated to a dance movement class that was so different and "out-of-the-box" that we were all dazzled and intrigued by the absolute incredible uniqueness of it. The yoga, also a wonderful surprise as there were two highly talented instructors who would help us usher the day in and prepare our bodies for the days activity ahead. Then, at the end of the day, one or the other would help us undue any knots and soreness with restorative yoga that again complemented the days events. In looking back, it is the complete integration of everything that made this place different and better than anything I've ever done. The yoga was preparation for the days activities. The breakfast was specifically calculated to feed the days activities, as were the snacks and lunch. The massage, was somehow coordinated to work out the parts of the body that were most in need, given the days events. And the massage was special. It was a combination of so many techniques, all I can say is that it was restorative.. and wonderful.. and different... and perfect! Onto dinners, which appeared to be preparation for the next days activities. I noticed the hearty fish dinner preceded the hardest hike of the week (Parrot's Peak). Speaking of Parrot's Peak, definitely a challenging hike but, if you're ready for it, SUCH a beautiful vantage point. One of those places where you feel like you're on top of the world. And the chance to hike through primary rainforest to get there... priceless. So great to be a part of such a well oiled machine. I felt like a million bucks by the end of the week. And one final little nicety was a wonderful little dog "Lua" who would happily accommodate the occasional attention and play that guests offered.

So I weighed in the week before I went to the Island and am happy to report a 5 pound weight loss after TIE. I have embraced some of the recipes I loved most from TIE and I am maintaining the loss. I hope to return someday as this was the most relaxation and fitness that I have achieved in a very long time and TIE got me there in one short week. If money were no object, I would stay longer. Also, if Martin and Adriana ever decide to introduce their clientele to another part of the world, I am there! Their approach to health, happiness and wellness through activity, nature and healthy delicious cuisine makes great sense.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo