“What an experience on the Island Experience!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ilha Grande
The Island Experience
Ranked #73 of 96 Ilha Grande B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 September 2010

I had a really great week with the Island Experience. My group was great, the staff and owners were very accommodating and the work out and activities across the week were challenging and rewarding.

Highlights included hiking to and then enjoying Lopes Mendez beach; daily yoga sessions; trekking up to the top of Parrot Peak; great food and juices and the fab sunsets.

Definitely recommend this trip if you want to detox, get fit and have fun in an sensational environment.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 25 August 2010

My time here was life altering. I returned to my daily life with a newfound drive to live healthy and stay active. I also connected with nature and my body in a new way that has a very deep significance for me. I would highly recommend this to anyone and everyone. Enjoy!

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed 5 August 2010

I chose TIE because a friend of mine had gone alone and assured me it was a great place for solo female travelers. From the moment I started inquiring about the experience (and it IS and experience), the staff were completely responsive and helpful. They always answered email and the phone! My arrival was orchestrated beautifully and I soon met the other 9 women who were near my age that I would spend the week with - they were lovely people (fashion designer, pharmacist, lawyer, film music director, motivational speaker). The food is absolutely fantastic and the week of activities is just perfect. Get ready to be challenged physically - tons of kayaking and hiking but there is also a nice balance of down time. Bring sunblock and bug spray and really good hiking shoes and socks. Also bring shampoo and shower soap - not provided. I can't say enough good things about The Island Experience. It was just perfect!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank BubblesNYC
Reviewed 27 July 2010

You better like being active if you choose The Island Experience! This is not a hotel, it is an experience. Martin and Adrianna run The Island Experience well and the food, the sea kayaking, the treks, the massages, the yoga, the view, and the people make your stay amazing. The days are filled with activitities but you will never feel healthier, more grounded, and strangely relaxed despite all of the athletic endeavors you'll participate in. I am telling you it will be the best vegan food you have ever had in your life. We admired and loved our yoga teacher, Julietta, who also kicked butt kayaking and speeding up and down the trails. This girl is an inspiration. There was no cutting corners. And being that there are so few guests at a time and because of the secluded nature of the lodge, you will truly feel like you are at a home away from home, doing the types of things that you enjoy with other like-minded people. If you really need some recharging, you don't HAVE to do every activity....there are hammocks to be used and a jacuzzi to relax in. Ilha Grande itself is at least far-removed-feeling from Rio....because there are no cars and the main village is about 45 minutes from the lodge by boat, you are secluded and this is nice. If you can avoid e-mail, cell phones, and all other technologies, boy do you feel like you are away from it all. We stayed in a double room and it was very nice---nicer than the singles, I have to say. The lodge is newer and in great shape. If you want to just lie around and relax all day, this is not the place for you. If you like to be outdoors and active but then like to balance that with yoga for centering and strengthening, good food, relaxing massages, and interactions with like-minded people from all over, this is your place!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 July 2010

This is my second time staying with the Island Experience. I am a bit sad that some of the trainers moved on, but understand that they need to live their lives.

Last time I stayed, I was at the old location. This location is more luxurious. The rooms were bigger, deck was bigger, had a workout area, sauna, larger yoga studio, etc. The program changed a bit, but they kept the best trails - Lopes Mendes, Parrot Peak.

And they are still accommodating to your level of fitness. I was more out of shape this time around, plus I wasn't feeling 100% on the second day. There was no pressure to do the activities, although they encourage some activity. When I woke up from my morning nap, everyone left for the day - which I expected. I didn't expect one of the trainers to be waiting for me. We didn't discuss earlier if I was going to do anything, but they were prepared. Also, since I did Parrot Peak last time, they allowed me to do another hike, which was equally challenging, but a different scenery.

Like last time, the food was fabulous and massages very appreciated. Unlike last time, they have the cutest puppy there.....completely adorable.

Overall, although the experience was different than my first time, I look forward to returning to the Island Experience.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 June 2010

Martin and Adriana were the most gracious hosts and I have no complaints about the trip, which was fantastic! Every day was terrific and I enjoyed wonderful food, a beautiful location and good companionship. The workouts were rigorous, but Martin and Adriana always offered alternatives to those of us who did not choose -- or couldn't -- work at the highest levels of activities. The yoga was wonderful and the people were so interesting. It was my first foray in South America and I'd love to go back.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 June 2010

My week on Ilha Grande with The Island Experience was exactly what I needed! I came to Ilha Grande a very stressed and exhausted individual, and left a new person. Ilha Grande is an island of great challenges – “flat” is a relative term here, and the Island Experience’s detox diet takes a little bit of getting used to – but those challenges pay off with dividends. It’s not every day that most people get to snorkel in blue lagoons, kayak to remote beaches or swim in waterfalls. Morning yoga sessions while watching the sun rise over the bay are unforgettable, and the nightly massages are second to none. Incidentally, despite the initial hurdles, I managed to lose a decent amount of weight as a result of the detox diet.

Martin, Daniel, Adriana and the rest of the staff are some of the friendliest people I’ve ever met – they went out of their way to make everybody feel like part of the family. They offered encouraging words when you needed them, and the low staff to participant ratio accommodated individual needs - both increasing the challenge and scaling back as needed. While a faster hiker, I am a ridiculously slow kayaker, and I was never punished or made to feel like I was slowing the group down at any point.

A month after returning home, I feel like I am better prepared to take on the world. It isn’t so much a matter of “if” I will return to The Island Experience, but “when.”

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo