“best breakfast ever” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 231 Speciality Lodging in Paraty
Nicosia, Cyprus
“best breakfast ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

We had a very rich breakfast on the beach. A wonderful scene!! Friendly staff! Very cheap accomondation! The beach bar played very nice music during breakfast and at the night. I could go back there for a couple of nights :)

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Camila P, Gerente at Geko Hostel Paraty, responded to this review, 15 July 2016
We are really glad and grateful of receiving you evaluation. We treasure you contact because it’s a valuable source of data about our pros and cons of our work.

Our job it’s always headed to 100% cutomer satisfaction. In an environment of increasing competition and higher demands, we only want to improve ourselves to offer you better service.

Once again, thank you for helping us in our hard work of offering our customers a better service.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Tonyc32
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

I hate to write this kind of review and make these accusations but all emails to the hostel requesting the Managers / owners contact details have gone unanswered. In fact every email sent to Geko, even before my drama, simply went unanswered.

So........I believe I was a victim of theft and that the theft was carried out by a member of staff. I'll lay down the facts and why I think this.

- I checked out of Geko hostel as I was going on a tour and then catching a bus out of Paraty.

- I asked to put my bags into their secure storage and was escorted there by a member of staff.

- 10 minutes later I remembered I had left my tour ticket in my shorts so I asked to go back up again and was escorted up by the same member of staff. I quickly pulled out my shorts, pulled out my money and with it my tour ticket. I replaced my money and the few receipts in the same pocket I always use for my cash. I realised afterwards that I had done this in full view of the staff member (I was in a rush).

- Upon return I was dropped off by my tour 1.5 hours late and quickly retrieved my bags. I changed into some bus suitable clothes and immediately went to my shorts to get my money......which was missing. All of my cards, receipts and usual junk was there but not my cash. There was some $500R missing - all of my money for Rio.

I don't believe in such coincidences. A member of staff who had seen my money which was in my bags in a locked room where people can go *only* with staff escort.....and my money goes missing. Just the money, just from that pocket. The storage room was not a high traffic area - the hostel was pretty empty and there were only two bags in the room when I put mine in.

Nothing else was taken. My laptop, camera and other valuable items were in the same bag and were not touched. Probably so I would not notice any weight change in the bag and would hopefully leave for my bus without checking for my cash (so upon arriving at my destination I can't be sure where the money went missing). A regular thief would have taken everything valuable, not meticulously searched a pair of shorts and just removed the money.

I did not inform the staff there about the theft as I had a mere 20 minutes to get to the bus station and on my bus. The chances of them being able to do anything was slim anyway - I aimed to contact the manager once I reached Rio.

I did not use a locker as my padlock was too thick for the locker rings. My padlock is standard....this is the first time in 7 months and tens of hostels where this has been an issue.

They have CCTV covering the door to the storage room, and perhaps even inside, but they don't respond to emails!

I don't have any chance of getting my money back but I can warn others of the perils of this place. I'm a seasoned traveler and reviewer on Tripadvisor. My first experience of theft in 7 months of traveling South and Central America! :/

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Tonyc32
Camila P, Gerente at Geko Hostel Paraty, responded to this review, 15 July 2016
If I were in your shoes, I’d feel just as you do. I’m sorry for the frustration you have experienced.

On behalf of our Hostel, please accept my apology for your unpleasant stay. Upon reflection, we realize that some things should’ve been handled differently. Please know, this is not the experience neither the hostel nor I want to deliver to our guests. We are very concerned and we want to assure you that we take this matters very seriously.

This missed opportunity to give you an enjoyable experience with us is something that we could never abide by. To ensure that this will never happen again, we are working hard improving our internal organization in order to offer the best travelers experience we can.

We know that there were gaps and we have them identified. We are trying to develop new training methods for all employees, so that this problem is avoided to the maximum. We are also working on regulations and procedures for improvement in our services for Travelers.

Sorry to have caused you this inconvenience. If there is any possibility, we would offer the opportunity to return on another occasion.

If you want to accept the proposed offer for you contact us.

Please count on our cooperation and understanding, and please accept our sincere apologies. We are taking the necessary steps to ensure that all guests remain 100% satisfied with the services provided.

Once again, apologizing for what happened in the provision and continuing.

Travellers are raving about these Paraty hotels

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

The staff were super friendly & great at English. They also provided us with travel/activity tips. The location is amazing and the breakfast was the most varied of all he hostels I stayed in during my trip. The rooms were ok, th plastic bedding was slightly noisy and the mattresses were really soft, but they were ok. It's worth shelling out for a private room as they're way nicer than the dorms. The bathrooms weren't hat great, and they didn't seem all that clean either. The hostel is currently being done up so I imagine it'll be nicer in a few years.

Room Tip: It's worth paying the extra few reals on a private room not the dorms
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

The place was clean and the staff friendly, and in my view much better than chilli next door (same owners). If you want a quiet place I'd go elsewhere as the front porch is noisy until late with music, but hopefully you're part of the noise and not in bed early. Breakfast was good on the beach. The shower in our room was an electric heated shower head that didn't get that hot, but apart from that the bathroom was ok. Plastic sheets on the bunks are good for hygiene but noisy when you move at night

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends

Cluj-Napoca, Romania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2013

This hostel has rather average rooms, but the location is just perfect! It is located few meters from the beach where they serve the breakfast as well (which was very tasty and rich in fruits). So when the weather is nice it is the perfect way to start the day :) And then just heading in any direction you can find interesting places, like the historic center of Paraty or other beaches. You can also book a boat tour to the islands nearby. I would recommend this even if the boats are quite big with many people in it, but the atmosphere was just amazing.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lizzieke

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2013

It wasn't a bad experience over all, It was just ridiculously expensive for what we got. Our room was a bit dodgy to say the least! The walls were covered in mould. But the toilet was spotless??!! We had a few issues with the beds in our dorm. A guy had fallen through his bunk which was located on the top of two other beds. They didn't fix it straight away, they just booked a slightly lighter girl on there instead, which i have to admire their cheekyness! We kicked up a fuss and eventually fixed it. The atmosphere was good, as was the breakfast. loads of nice travellers, the staff were young and somewhat helpful. My lovely sarong was robbed while i ate brekkie though and nobody really cared! So please, don't hang nice things outside your room or on the clothes horse!

Room Tip: try and request a room in the building, they seemed a bit nicer
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2013 via mobile

Good location. Staff can be rude, and the room was like a dungeon full of mould and the bunk beds were very unsafe. The top bed fell through on one of them. Value for money wise this place is a joke. It's nearly cheaper to stay in a hotel. Only good thing was the breakfast on the beach and the happy hour

• Stayed February 2013