We stayed here twice in our 8 month stay in South America. The first time was amazing but sadly the second was just so bad we left.
The good things about the hostel:
+ the hostel itself is very nice and has a beautiful garden with hummingbirds and cute little monkeys
+ Leo the bar guy is awesome and still makes the best Caipirinhas we have ever had
+ The rooms and beds were comfortable
+ The location is good but then again, Paraty is tiny so any location would be close to the historical Centre etc...
However, the bad thigs, which outweighed the good for us:
- The ensuite in our room was FILTHY to the point where I had to ask the cleaner (via a portugese speaking staff member) to redo it properly as the sink was thick with scum and clogged with other peoples hair. She told me she cleaned it the day before but there was absolutely no way this was true.
- The internet may as well be none existant. This was something that we knew last time we came, and thought the computers and/or internet would have improved in the 7 months we had been away.....but no.
-The staff (except Leo) were slow, useless and the other bar guy was either in the worst mood possible or on drugs as he was rude and literally threw peoples change at them after paying. Additionally, some of the staff tried overcharging us for the room we were in, until we realised and then they looked very embarrassed....
- Whilst we were there, one of our room mate's phone was stolen. The only people in the room during this time was myself, my boyfriend and the cleaner. Considering it wasnt us who stole the phone, that only leaves one culprit....
Needless to say, this place has gone very downhill in a space of 7 months and we ended up leaving because of how bad and overpriced it was. There are loads of hostels in Paraty, I suggest looking elsewhere before booking here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The new hostel in Paraty will have both private and shared rooms, with private bath and air conditioning in superior apartments. As always it will have the best common areas, tv room, bar and the cool atmosphere that characterizes us for you to enjoy your trip around South America with most kind, entertaining and professional staff. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Agoda, HostelWorld, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Travel Republic (UK) so you can book your Che Lagarto Hostel Paraty reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Che Lagarto Hostel Paraty Brazil