My boyfriend and I stayed at the Pousada Guarana back in September 2012 for two nights and truly wished we could have stayed here longer. The owners, David and Jimena, were very accomodating, friendly and helpful. The time we spent there were kind of slow days for the pousada, but I doubt that would make any difference in the amount of attention and care we recevied:) There were several occassions where David went above and beyond to help make us feel welcome:
- he readily suggested restaurants and activities around town and how to best to get to them so we could maximize our short time in Paraty
- he supplied me with an extra bottle of shampoo when I mentioned I was running low on my own
- he chatted with us about his life, Paraty, and Brazilian life while we hung out around the pool area between activities
- and he gave us a ride to the bus station when we left (we had some heavy packs so this afforded us time to relax a little longer)
During our stay we were provided two very lovely breakfasts by the lady who worked in the kitchen. Normally the breakfast is buffet-style, but since it was just us at one point, we received a private breakfast. However, we could tell this meal was always the same high quality for everyone because when we left they did the buffet for us and two other patrons. My boyfriend particularly liked the cheesy eggs that were made for us and David actually gave him the spices that they used to take home!
As others have noted, the grounds are lovely and relaxing, and reflect the calm attitude and personality of the pousada's owners and their artistic tastes. The pousada is about a 20 minute walk from the historic center of town (and the bus station), but this is good since it provides quiet and solitude from the surprisingly bustling town. We also used the bikes provided for free by the pousada to get around, and really enjoyed biking along the canal that stretches down to the historic center. Don't bother with taxis from the bus station if you can help it - they are overpriced and unneccesary.
We also loved the presence of all the animals that David and Jimena keep on the grounds (Jimena runs an animal shelter that takes in dogs and cats and is trying to promote responsible pet ownership in Brazil). It was so nice to swing in the hammocks with puppies running around and it was nice hanging out on the big couch near the pool petting the cats that roamed the pousada. Although all the pets seemed friendly, if you are not into dogs and cats or have allergies, then you will want to reconsider staying here.
The rooms are spacious, clean and have simple but lovely decorations. We traveled with backpacks so we didn't really need drawers, but there was an open unit with hangers, shelves and a mini fridge in our room. The shower was big (compared to other places we stayed in Brazil) and the water was always hot. Exactly what we needed:)
I should also mention that David and Jimena were very responsive to emails and our questions when we were planning this trip and when we reached out to them while in-country before we arrived. That helped put my mind at ease about this place and I would definitely recommend Pousada Guarana as a place to stay in Paraty. Thanks to David and Jimena for your hospitality and we hope to return one day:)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Pousada Guarana a place of quiet and beauty For the past ten years we have tried to create a place for traveler's to get away from the hustle of daily life, or a place to relax and recharge after traveling through the big cities of Sao Paulo or Rio de Janeiro. Our hotel caters perfectly for small groups of friends, honeymooners, or couple's getaway. Here you will find quiet corners to chat or relax surrounded by lush gardens and hummingbirds sipping flower to flower. There will likely be a furry friend to keep you company as well should you desire. We want our guests to have the best experience possible. From beaches to waterfalls, fine dining to outdoor adventure, we can help you to the best our lovely town has to offer. Your hosts, David & Jimena ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and Ebookers so you can book your Hotel Pousada Guarana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pousada Guarana Paraty
- Pousada Guarana Hotel Paraty
- Hotel Pousada Guarana Paraty, Brazil