“Very good, very expensive, nice setting, but not the best in town”

Hotel Cipriani Restaurant
Ranked #141 of 13,992 Restaurants in Rio de Janeiro
Price range: US$50 - US$100
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Copacabana
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We were celebrating our first wedding anniversary with my wife's 10-year-old daughter at the Cipriani Restaurant, which is part of the Copacabana Palace. Very nicely situated, overlooking the pool area, this Italian restaurant has good food and good service, at - even by Rio's standards - quite high prices. The "children's menu" that was proposed to us - a piece of filet mignon with pasta with white sauce - took the cake at a whopping +/- US-$ 50. May be we should have asked first...
None the less, we did enjoy the evening very much, the staff was attentive, the atmosphere was good. That said, when we want to have good Italian food, there are lots of other options in Rio where you get much better value for your money (the Quadrifoglio, for instance, in Jardim Botanico)....but then you are not dining in the Copacabana Palace. Nobless oblige...and has its price.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

I have been in Brazil for over 10 years and I saw a terrible decline in the quality of the food and service of the Restaurant Cipriani at the Copacabana Palace.
My last visit was disappointing: the food is poorly prepared and the service is equally inferior, all of this at very high prices.

1  Thank homecooking
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Cipriani is one of top 5 restaurants in Rio and one of the top 50 in Brazil. Tradition is their label since 1945. Cipriani is more then a simple amazing meal is a experience. In my opinion one of best restaurants in wide world !!!
The problem is the price...the brazilian issue. The price is even expensive in Brazil. I'd like to known why...

Reviewed 18 July 2013

I hate giving reviews like this, but I know I make many decisions on where to eat based on TA reviews... so here it goes. Like several have said, the service at Hotel Cipriani Restaurant is superb. The staff is well trained, knowledgeable, and everything you would expect of an Orient-Express Hotel restaurant.

Unfortunately, the food wasn't. We ordered the 4-course Chef's tasting menu. The menu was disappointing, the food was bland (taste and to the eye), the ingredients weren't fresh, and the shrimp was mushy and uneatable. Foodwise, we expected more all the way around.

We loved our stay at the Copacabana Palace and went for drinks at the Cipriani Bar a couple of times. The piano music is lovely and so is the atmosphere!

My advice: skip dinner at the restaurant until they make a few easy changes with the menu/food.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

This was my second time eating at Cipriani recently, but I hope my last. Had three courses and really didn't enjoy anything, sorry to say, aside from excellent service and splendid atmosphere. First course was cold potato leek soup which was bland. This was about half a cup of soup served in a massive plate. Next up was a lamb loin which was well-cooked (rare; no specifications taken by the waiter) but coated in an unpleasant crust. This was boring to eat. It came with a little lump of al dente pasta with olive oil on it. Good grief. Two people at our table were served severely overcooked tuna and sent it back to the kitchen. The second try was perfectly cooked.

Dessert should have been a triumph: apple strudel and ice cream. The ice cream tasted like durian - similar to gasoline. Everyone hated it. The strudel was boring and had no crunch.

As I've said before - in Rio the more you pay the less you get. Locals seem to like pomp and circumstance in their fine dining but have no palate for food or wine. Shocking.

1  Thank MutsuiJackarama