“Best hostel I have ever stayed at :)”

Terra Brasilis Hostel
London, United Kingdom
“Best hostel I have ever stayed at :)”
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I highly recommend this hostel! The staff were great and very friendly. I had a few issues getting back to the airport and the staff were extremely helpful in informing me what to do- one of the guys even waited with me at the bus stop. The breakfast served was delicious- a yummy, healthy breakfast of fruit, toast, egg and baked goodies. The bedrooms are cool and the beds are comfortable.There is a lovely terrace with a efficient kitchen which guests can used. The view from the terrace is spectacular, overlooking the city, whilst you're hidden in the quiet hills. Walk into Centro takes approximately 15/20 minutes however there is a bus too nearby. The walk up to the hostel is steep so if arriving with heavy luggage it may be best to take a taxi or bus up.
This is the nicest hostel I have stayed in so I highly recommend it. Hope you enjoy your time as much as I did :)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Monika G

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Vancouver
Reviewed 18 April 2013

The auberge is a bit of a bother to find, but it is worth the effort. Just tell the taxi driver to go to the Parque das Ruinas in Santa Teresa and he will drop you right at the door of the hostel. Although the building is well aged, rooms are spacious and comfortable with lovely wood floors, strange founts in the bathroom and a view of Rio de Janeiro centro that is simply beyond belief. You will be captivated, and won't be able to resist drinking it in along with a cold Bohemia long neck. Prices are reasonable, amenities are adequate, and staff will rub the sleep from their eyes to phone a taxi for you early in the morning for your flight to another city from nearby Santos Dumont airport. Exploring the shops and restaurants of nearby Largo do Guimaraes is easy when you stay at Brasilis, and a short walk downhill leads straight onto the colorful escadaria Selaron. Also don't miss the Parque das Ruinas across the street. It is a most unusual restoration/artistic interpretation of what was once the residence of one of Rio's leading glitterati.

Room Tip: All rooms are good, I think, as they open onto a back balcony as well as a front facing the city.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Me and my friend stayed at Terra Brasilis twice. We started our Brazil trip from Rio and we finished it in Rio at Terra Brasilis. We absolutely felt (still feel) like it is our home in that city. The famous terrace is amazing, the location (yes you have to go up the hill, but..) but the view when you stay there is so worth it (also you can always come up with a bus or a taxi). Personally for me Santa Teresa is the most beautiful neighborhood to be at. The personnel is really friendly. I believe I was a good guest, so once even waking up after the breakfast time, I got the last sandwich that was "saved" for someone who works there (I love breakfast, so I appreciated this service extra high :)). Clean rooms, beautiful views, safe and cozy atmosphere, friendly people, good breakfast = super good value for money. See you soon Terra Brasilis.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Vitalija M
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 February 2013

I stayed here in February, 2013 and was upgraded to the "master suite" - Wow! Just a tremendous room. The room had its own balcony that opened up to a fabulous view of downtown Rio. Some of the pictures are shown here - just a tremendous way to start or end a day by looking at the view. This room had a (enormous) private bath, and the shower was excellent. The wifi connection in the room was good, and there were two fans for nice ventilation. During most of the day, there was a nice breeze blowing through the room and it was quite comfortable. I found the bed to be comfortable as well, and slept well there. The place was quiet (with the exception of a little bit of post-Carnaval samba music coming from the city below.

I have only positive comments about the building, the service, and the amenities. My only concern was the location. For many people, being up in the hills of Santa Teresa with its cobblestone streets and proximity to Lapa might be an excellent benefit - for me, it was not so convenient.

As an earlier reviewer said, it is not too difficult to walk down the hill to the metro station at Gloria. But walking up the hill is quite a challenge. And the taxi drivers at Gloria are often reluctant to go up to Santa Teresa - and of those that would take me, I could not find anyone who could find the hotel without asking directions. For my taste, the location was not very good.

So... if you are a traveler who is familiar with Rio or has done research, and you decide that Santa Teresa is where you want to be, then you can do no better than this place. I found it to be a terrific hostel/hotel, and was very comfortable there. My only concern is about the location - which was not well aligned with my personal preferences.

Room Tip: The "master suite" (I believe sometimes called "superior double" room) is really...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank bobby_l
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2013 via mobile

First of all, unless you want to be based in Santa Theresa then the location is awful. Up a massive steep hill which takes about 10-15 mins and isn't much fun in the heat. Also looked a bit dodgy at night so careful if you're on your own.
Gloria metro is down a load of stairs then a few streets, you'll also find shops, farmacy, supermarkets, food joints and arms there. It's about 15-20 min to ipanena beach on the metro. Remember there are no little shops up the hill at the hostel so you'll have to buy your juice/water/snacks/food etc before you go up.
Location aside it's a pretty standard hostel. Some staff friendly and going out their way to help you, others can appear rude if you ask them something...as if you've disturbed them! Also I was given some wrong info about buses and shops so the staff should maybe revise their local knowledge :).
The wifi is good but only works outside reception. The kitchen area is small but has everything you need, lots of eating areas overlooking a great view of the city. You can also buy drinks and pizza at the bar after 7pm
Free breakfast is good, bread, cheese, eggs, fruit etc.
The tours offered at reception are great value, I highly recommend the city tour!

• Stayed February 2013
St Gallen, Sankt Gallen, Switzerland
Reviewed 28 January 2013

I stayed 2 times in Terra Brasilis with a friend, 5 days on the beginning and 3 at the end of our trip. Next time when I go to Rio, I will not search for anything else...straight to Terra Brasilis :) Breakfast at the terrace with amazing view to the city, is a great way to start your day. I loved the terrace so much, that I even didnt mind washing my dishes there :) Hostel is clean and well maintained, there is a security surveillance system, and most important, all the staff is great - helpful, cool and friendly! Santa Teresa is a beautiful area, and I didnt mind going up the hill, after a first time, you just get used to it :) Lapa is 10 min away, therefore parties are close as well.... what else to search ?

Aida

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Aida H
Corciano, Italia
Reviewed 26 November 2012

Nice place in Santa Teresa with a stunning view over the city. I went to stay for a couple of days, but in the end stayed for a couple of weeks instead! The rooms are clean and comfy and the terrace for breakfast is fresh and beautiful. The breakfast is by far one one of the best I happen to have in all South America! The stuff is friendly and helpful. I loved my stay there and if I'm ever gonna go back to Rio I'm definitely going to say hello to Tito & Co.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo