“The Best rooms and views of rio, with a very kind staff”
Review of The Villa

The Villa
Ranked #180 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 24 May 2011

I`ve been in the hotel for a weekend with a friend. The room is huge and comfortable, the views are wonderful from every place in the hotel. The staff are very friendly and always ready to help. We will surely come back soon.

Room Tip: Suite Corcovado is the best one.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank ncarvalho

Reviewed 27 April 2011

First of all, I'm french speaking but I think that to alert the maximum people about that place I should express myself with my poor english. Sorry.
I'm travelling quiet a lot and tend to see all kind of hotels. Some of them can be disapointing but I never wrote a bad comment, mainly not to waste my time I guess...
In that particular case I think it's compulsary to write about the stay we had.
My girlfriend and I were staying in a hotel in Santa Teresa since a few days but didn't book anything for easter weekend and we finally found and booked a room in Rio 180 for 3 nights. The hotel website looked really good, it's actually the only good thing about the hotel (with the view maybe). As a matter of facts, it seems that the web designer is really talented unlike the staff.
It takes only a few seconds to realise the poor conditions of the hotel: disgusting pool with electric cables coming out, no spa, no food, no bar, no service, rooms smells bad (to be polite), spiders in the jacuzzy, no safe (important if the staff needs cash), bed hasn't been changed in 3 days neither the towels, toilets with no door open on the bedroom (convenient for a romantic stay), the poorest breakfast we ever had in Brasil.
On our last night, we went to a restaurant and came back early since we had to leave very early the next morning. As we got in the room we checked our bags that we made ready before going for dinner and realised that our camera was missing and 400.- swiss francs. We went staight to the unfriendly "security guy" which happens to be at the same time: the front desk manager, the concierge and the general manage (not very convenient when the guy only speaks portuguese) and expained him the situation. His only reaction was to come to our room to check our bags and tell us that he could not do any thing for us. When I finally mentionned that we would call the police, the guy dropped the camera under the bed and said: "Look, I found it!!". Beeing pretty pissed off, we called a taxi to drive us on the other side of the city in Leblon to the touristic police of Rio. We ended up in the middle of the night going back to the hotel in a police car with 3 Rambos wearing bulet proof jackets with guns and M-16, trying to avoid the favellas (not the most relaxing experience but interesting). Not the best way to end up your vacations...

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
10  Thank LouSteph55
Reviewed 12 March 2011

View is really amazing, staff nice, room design ,clean and large but main issue remains how to find a taxi to drive you back to hotel. Anyway you will have to be patient and accept to spent a lot of money to convince taxi or cause taxi totally lost and unable to find the adress. Night watchman is really kind and available .He makes taxi extra and can help .The Second point Breakfast is frugal and really expensive for what you have in plate. 4 toasts ,.2 slices of ham and 2 of cheese,one juice and a quarter of pineapple or mango .Third point swimming pool was dirty . Good point free internet available .

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank jeanp22002
Reviewed 19 December 2010

We stayed for three days in early December and were thoroughly satisfied with our stay. We stayed in the Jardim Botanico room with a fabulous view over the city. From the balcony where breakfast can be served the views are even more panoramic. The room itself is well sized with a cool bathroom and is equipped with essential air con. The location of the hotel is somewhat lost amongst the beautiful houses at the end of Santa Teresa but its low profile location makes it a hidden gem; but be specific with taxi drivers on the address and if they know where it is. Walking to Santa Teresa centre takes about 40 minutes but it's a well worth it once for the scenery and architecture. The pool is great and also benefits from good views of the city. Breakfast included is decent.

The hotel has very good staff and an excellent driver come tourist guide called Anderson. Make sure you ask for him and have him collect you at the airport if you need. He also sorted us out admin like bus tickets to Paraty and spent a day driving us to the Corcovado and the Sugarloaf for a fair price.

Only slight negatives to report - the pool could have done with a clean of tree debris. The breakfast was of a good quality but maybe a little unimaginative. Some bathroom fixtures needed tightening and the shower was temperature inconsistent.

Overall we were very happy with our stay and can only recommend it. A far more rewarding experience than staying in Ipanema or Copacabana.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2010

My partner and I stayed in this hotel on our last 5 days in Rio in late Sep 2010.

W used the information from Trip Advisor to choose this hotel and was well guided.

The service was truly outstanding, the breakfast was fresh and the rooms very clean and comfortable.

The location was ideal for us and my partner and I are keen walkers but when had to use taxis they weren't more than R$15-25 to the main centro of Rio.
Be carefull though however as our taxi driver from Novo Rio Coach Station wasn't sure of either the were abouts or the driving directions of the hotel but did eventually find the hotel. I would suggest that a map or the city with the road Rio 180 hotel is on the assist. (Maybe we were unluckly though!!)

The manager was very attentive and gave his full attention when we requested room service.

Full stars!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2010

The stay in the Rio 180° was an extarordinary good experience. I have seen many class hotels on buissness trips, but this was the only one that turned it into a holiday.
-The view over Rio de Janeiro is fantastic, you are high over the city seeing the Sugaloaf and the Jesus Christ on the Corcovado by night, dawn and during the day.
- The food of the new Portugese Chef was deliceous, sofisticated and very well presented. Highlight was a dish with shrimps and crispy fish-rolls a fantastic cullinary experience.
- My room was nicely arranged and had personal touch, and I must say that I enjoyed my private Jakuzi.
- The hotel manager organised an afternoon on the beach and provided his personal surfboard after driving me and other guests to the beach.
Unfortunataly I could stay only stay there for three nights, since it was completley booked out. On my next Trip to Rio I will definetly book it a long time in advance.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 September 2010

There are not so many nice places to stay in RIO, in which you feel you're in really in RIO.
Or you go to some big hotels with 500 rooms on Copacabana or Ipanema, or you find a POUSADA.

RIO 180 is a MUST place to go in you want to have a nice view, an excellent quality of service, and more than that, if you want to feel at home in RIO.

The design of the hotel is very nice, with a "special mention" for the red swimming pool !

This hotel is a new business experience for the young french entrepreneur, but time after time, he has built the good ambiance and service quality.

When I was there, I was surprise to see that some of his customers are Brazilians, from San Paolo, coming here for a nice love weekend.

I recommend the hotel, the rooms are all different, I had the chance to visit 3 of them because we went there with some friends.

Distance to the beach of Ipanema is about 20 minutes with traffic.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends