“Good Location but On the Edge of A Rougher area”

Hotel Villa Rica Rio de Janeiro
Ranked #60 of 332 Rio de Janeiro B&B and Inns
saskatoon
“Good Location but On the Edge of A Rougher area”
Reviewed 15 June 2012

This hotel is near the Lapa bar and restaurante area and is close to the theatre district.
The only problem is it is just on the verge of a bit of rougher area with lots of alcoholics and has a bit of an unsafe feel at night. It is however just a block into the not so great area and if you are on a budget worth a look. Rooms are musty but have air conditioning and modern televisions that work great. After one night I went looking for another hotel and found there was some great hotels in the theatre district but about $50 more, look for Hotel Atlantic Business or Windsor Astoria. I went for the Formule 1 nearby which is a 10 minute walk and in a better area.
Rio is a city where the poor mix freely with the tourists so you do need to watch wallets and purses, the less you bring when out the better.

Stayed June 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
London
Reviewed 21 April 2012

I thought this hotel was an excellent budget hotel. The rooms were very clean, the staff were very helpful, the location is central, and the breakfast was huge! It was a little strange having the breakfast sent to the room (with no table), but there was plenty of food and the hotel itself is well maintained.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank cement2009
Trondheim, Norway
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Quit close to the center, but in outworn surroundings. No breakfast hall, but 10 minutes after calling the reception, breakfast was served in the room - where there was no table nor chair. During the carnival this is probably one of the cheaper hotels.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank ohusby

Travellers are raving about these Rio de Janeiro hotels

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 24 February 2012

After reading some of the reviews about this hotel, I was a bit nervous about being there. However, my experience was great. The daily breakfast was delicious and made the start of each day special. I was there with my friend. We were in Rio de Janeiro for the Carnaval Festivities and some site seeing. We felt very safe in the hotel. Yes, there are bars around the area because it is Lapa and that's where the main night time entertainment is. It was also loud, but the air conditioning in the rooms drowns out a lot of the noise from the streets, but it was most loud during the Carnaval events and not so loud when Ash Wednesday came. The staff was friendly and helpful and we practiced our Portuguese with them. They knew the area and looked out for us in terms of making sure we didn't take our valuables out in public or walk without protecting out belongings. All of Rio can be unsafe and has pick-pockets, but if you're careful and remain aware, you'll be fine. I love that fact that this hotel is close to ATMs, two subway stations (Gloria and Cinelandia), and many small and wonderful restaurants. The power in the rooms is US 110, so your electronic will work fine. We brought transformers and realized that they were unnecessary. There are no three prong outlets, so bring an adapter or break off your ground from the plug. This hotel has a lobby computer area with two computers and a printer accessible 24/7. The WiFi is free and depending upon your room location in the hotel, works at solid strength 90% of the time. The room had a small refrigerator where we kept our bottled water and Matte Leao (Mate Iced Tea - my favorite beverage there). Our bathroom sink got stopped up, but after we let them know, they fixed it immediately. The office has a safe to keep your passports or other valuables, which we found useful.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank recorick
Porto Alegre, Brazil
Reviewed 7 August 2011

I spent one night at the hotel, because I thought the location would be great to go to the US Embassy the next day. I took a cab at the airport, and the driver didn't know where the hotel was located. After a call, he took me to some narrow streets and I got to the hotel. The place is horrible, it seems like a motel. And it's important to say that a motel in Brazil have a different concept of the rest of the world: it's a place where people go to have sex. There was a big mirror on the ceiling. I was afraid of going out to have something to eat, since there were a lot of bars and people dancing and screaming outside. I could hear music, people screaming and breaking bottles all the night. I was on the first floor and the window was broken, I was afraid that someone could get into the room! At the morning, I decided to leave the hotel directly to my appointment at the Embassy (I had to be there at the beggining at the afternoon, but I was afraid to leave my stuff at the hotel to go to somewhere, and the surrounding area was so poor that I was also afraid that someone could robber me at the streets). I will not recommend. Ah, and the breakfast is served in the room (so strange?!). The unique positive thing is that I could arrive at the US Embassy by a short walk (10-15 min).

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Poly_Rafa
Schleswig, Germany
Reviewed 8 March 2011

Oh.Italianos are what a difficult people.This hotel is in the commercial center of Rio. Very near to metro station also near to Santos Dumont Airport (around ten minutes by taxi) which is plus.Though sorroundings are bit iffy but, not too dangerous.I will not recommend to be out after 10pm.Clean ensiute-rooms are small but not too small and all the furnishings are italiano style.Beds are comfy, bathroom was decent.A/C is working enough and there was a fridge and sometimes can be noisy related with the street.Breakfast is nice and filling,only coming to your room.Get ready for the never smiling italiano management is everytime, everywhere and do not expect a friendly hospitalty.I think their policy is looking like angry but, the hotel is O.K. and rooms are in western style, leave the management alone.In my opinion the reception will make wonders, If they can speak english but only the famous manager can speak.Though Villa Rica is not looking an family or holiday hotel but,an alternative who is looking to near to city center or airport SDU and not far from the famous beaches by metro and bus.They are giving free internet/pc for the guests.Worth to go, If you can find a budget price, (decolar.com) will be good idea.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business