“Good for Business Travel”

Transamerica Prime Barra
Ranked #156 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I stayed at the Transamerica for 6 days while on a business trip. The hotel itself is nice but it suffers from being in a less than ideal location. It is inconvenient to get around in Barra at the best of times but the Transamerica is not in a place that makes it any easier if you are wanting to do any site seeing or spend time at the beach.
The hotel itself was very good. The rooms were clean and comfortable, the food was all very good, and as a person who does not speak the language I did appreciate the fact that all the staff spoke English.

Room Tip: Avoid staying in the flats
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Transamérica G, Gerente at Transamerica Prime Barra, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your comments highlighting our infrastructure. We are happy to know we were able to provide you a pleasant stay.
Feel free to count on us and return soon to enjoy the city even more.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

the hotel is very nice clean and in a good location for the beach , shops are a bit away but i do not shop anyway. also like the rest of Brasil not a lot of the staff speak English so it can be hard communicating

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank 19bruce82
Transamérica G, Gerente at Transamerica Prime Barra, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Dear Sir,
Feel free to count on us and return soon to enjoy the city even more.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

I've been in this hotel for 5 days. The room is a little bit old and some stuffs was not working properly. The bed was OK. The breakfast could be better. The restaurant is ridiculously expensive for the options available. This hotel has a good location, but far from malls and touristic attractions.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Transamérica G, Gerente at Transamerica Prime Barra, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

Dear Mr. Rodrigo,
We appreciate your comments, which will contribute to our continuous development process.
We are undergoing a retrofit to modernize our apartments and environments in the hotel. We will send your observations to the people in charge of the restaurant and we hope to see you soon in other opportunities.

Reviewed 14 May 2013 via mobile

I was in this hotel for a conference. The room was small but clean enough. The bed was ok, the shower worked and there is a pool. The conference facilities were ok, except that the conference rooms have no sunlight or access to fresh air. That's the positive part.

The staff is clueless. They're not trying to be unfriendly. They just don't know what to do. Example: I spent a full hour in the bar area. Three bartenders were standing around chatting, but nobody thought of taking an order.

The corridor on my floor smelt truly foul. The food ranged from hardly edible to just acceptable.I hope you get the general idea: it's ok if you have a conference, but don't expect to enjoy the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013
Transamérica G, Gerente at Transamerica Prime Barra, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2013

Dear Sir,
We appreciate your comments, which contribute to our ongoing process of improvement in order to meet all requirements with the quality and expectations of our customers.
We will transmit your account to the whole team and retrain our employees.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you in the future.

Reviewed 28 April 2013

For me the standout worst feature of this poor hotel was arriving to get some rest in bed, stripping off and in my bare feet stepping on a shard of broken glass which I then had to set about extracting from my foot. I really hope I haven't contracted something nasty after this.

I would rather pay the ridiculously expensive rates at other Rio hotels than experience this again. As it is, this hotel is expensive for what you get in return.

The hotel looks fairly awful and breakfast is fairly awful. I don't have faith in the general cleanliness given the glass incident.

Staff on reception don't speak great English which is surprising for a hotel. It was also due to the lack of ability to converse with the reception staff that I didn't bother raising the issue about the broken glass - what's the point when they can't even understand me asking about an airport transfer or helping me make a restaurant reservation?

If you value your personal safety, I would avoid this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Transamérica G, Gerente at Transamerica Prime Barra, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2013

Dear Madam,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us.
We are very sorry to hear that your stay did not live up to your expectations.
We try our hardest to provide quality services to all of our guests, therefore your opinion is very important to us.
Please allow us to express our deepest apologies with regards to the problems caused.
We would like to thank you again and we hope that we will have the opportunity to regain your confidence in our services during your next stay with us.

Customer Relations Transamérica Hospitality Group

Reviewed 21 April 2013

Hotels in Rio have become ridiculously expensive in the years and Transamerica is no different. Having said that, I will not evaluate the price, as there are no cheap options in the city and being expensive is not a particular problem for this Hotel.
The location is good, far from most of tourist attractions but next malls, restaurants and ten minute walking from one of the most beautiful beaches in Rio de Janeiro (clean by the way), also the best surfing and kite surfing spots around.
The rooms are clean and fairly new. Bear in mind most Hotels in Rio have old rooms and “new price”.
I’ve been in Transamerica dozens of times in the last five years and the breakfast and quality of service has improved. My only complaint however, which has not changed in the last five years, is the fact that when the Hotel is full the service quality falls and you may wait hours to have someone answering the phone at the reception.
There is a nice swimming pool, a tennis court and a small gym.
It is one of my favorite hotels in Rio.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Transamérica G, Gerente at Transamerica Prime Barra, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2013

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your comments. We are glad to know that we were able to offer you a good stay and that you are pleased with our location.

We are continuously working on improvements in order that we may offer the best services, and we are pleased that you appreciated the hospitality of our staff despite the delay you experienced on this occasion.
We hope you will stay with us once again when you next have the opportunity.

Relationship – Transamérica Hospitality Group

Reviewed 13 April 2013

The hotel is reasonable and it would be ok if it weren´t for the absurd rate (which is common in Rio these days). They charge you approximately 800.00 BRL (almost 500.00 USD) for a large room with a partial view of the beach. The room is poorly maintained, there is mold in the ceiling and is full of mosquitos. Another inconvenient item in this hotel is the fact they make a small "lobby" for every two doors, so, from time to time, you are surprised by your "neighbor" right at your door. Talking about neighbors, the hotel is supposed to be non-smoking, however, they allowed my "neighbor" to smoke all the time, even after my complaints. They said they couldn´t move me to another room either, because the hotel was full. As the doors are close to each other, all the poisoning smoke of my "dear" neighbor was contaminating my room. For $400.00 a night, that is definitly not a good deal.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Transamérica G, Gerente at Transamerica Prime Barra, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2013

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your comments, for besides it being very important for us to receive feedback from our clients regarding their stay, we understand this to be a form of trust in our ability to improve our services.
We apologize for any inconvenience we have caused with the maintenance of the room. On this matter, we would like to inform you that all of our rooms will soon be modernized and retrofitted. With regards to the smoking guest, we would like to inform you that this does not normally occur in our hotel.
We are sorry to have not met your expectations during your stay and we hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you again next time you return to Rio de Janeiro.

Customer Relations – Transamérica Hospitality Group